Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:31:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Business Slow Periods - Any experience?

Started by baileyuph, June 27, 2015, 06:08:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Business people here represent quite a variety of activites - Subject issue came up
recently in discussion so perhaps perhaps the business representation here is able to give a report on the industries they are involved.  Some here are furniture, some auto, some marine, wood more than likely others. 

It would informative as well as interesting to hear from your business if there are slow periods during the year?

There are periods when consumers propensity for furniture redo/replace - changes, same can be said for marine work as well, possibly others.

So are there any seasonal swings either way in your type of business?

Doyle

MinUph

We slow down this time of year. The snow birds are gone summer vacations and such make it a less hectic time of year. We keep going but at a much slower pace.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

People ask me "How's business?" all the time. Some customers even ask if I have any slow periods when they could get their work done cheaper than during peak season.

For me, the answer is always the same. I work alone. I always have more work than I can do. So if there is a slow period, it goes unnoticed.

The only slow cycle that I DO notice, is repairs from furniture stores. I may not hear a peep out of them for a couple of months, then they all hit me at once. But that is usually tied to the "big sales" they run. The repairs come rolling in a few weeks after they have had a big sale.

I have noticed that many customers get estimates in the summer, but don't get around to having the work done until after school is back in session. I guess people hang on to their money for summer fun. Then they start spending again when school starts, and they go "back to the daily grind"

The only time in my entire career that business almost dried up completely, was the summer just after the first Gulf war had wrapped up. That lull lasted about 6 weeks. I came pretty close to bailing on the business. But everything picked back up again, and it's been "full steam ahead" ever since.

But again, I'm just a one-man shop, so I don't really notice the slow cycles.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Marine is brutally cyclical in New England.  Does the crummy interior have any importance when the boat is hauled for the winter? usually not.  Does the same crummy interior attain priority importance in late April? too often.  I do my best to suggest that those with dated/worn interiors who contact me "pre-splash" contact me in August or postpone until the winter months.  If I can fit an interior in over the summer I will, but I'm all about planning a pleasing makeover during the season and executing the work over the winter.  Sure, people are disappointed but usually because it has never occurred to them that someone like me is usually busy!

I have found slipcovers to be a nice niched.  They're cyclical, too, but in a different way.   And they usually require less time compared to marine interiors, so it's easier for me to nestle them into the my schedule. 

And when I have no work... ?  I knuckle down the little things I want to get done around the  house!

SteveA

I wouldn't say there are periods that are slow and/or impact the yearly salary for me but there are random times when I wish the phone would ring a little more often.
but like bobbin say's  - there always some personal chore to fill in with.
SA

Mojo

Paul, Mike, Ed, Rick and myself are all Florida stitchers and we all see cycles in our respective businesses. July is slow for us and in August things are picking back up again. By November we are rocking and rolling and come winter we get hammered.

This has been our busiest summer ever but winter time is 7 days a week and ongoing. It gets worse every year and if things continue to go we will have to have two machines going constantly to keep up with orders. I have a Canadian lady who wants to work this winter and we may have to employ her.
Last winter was brutal and as our Google ranking increases so does our orders.

I also am launching a new marketing program so that in itself may bury us.

Chris