Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:15:11 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sofa bed mattress dilemma

Started by cajunpedaler, June 22, 2015, 06:51:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunpedaler

This may or may not have anything to do with upholstery, but since there is a wealth of information here...
I have a queen sofa bed.  Of course it came with the usual and super crappy mattress...so miss smarty pants (me) ordered a new one from Amazon...good price, great mattress...Fits width and length perfect.  (basically the size is what's called a short queen in RV's)

Here's the problem.  It's too thick to fold up and go inside the sofa frame.  Doesn't even fit under the inside back.  It's a 4.5" mattress and I think that's way too much.  Probably a 4" would be better.  Any ideas where to look besides Ebay or Amazon?  I don't want to spend a huge chunk of money.  I paid 150.00 for this one and it's a fair price.

Or is there a foam insert I can put inside the mattress framework and store the mattress when it's not in use? 
Thanks.
Perry
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

SteveA

Have you considered the link at the bottom of this page - click "latex mattress" - worth a look
SA

Darren Henry

I've only ever seen one of those mattresses that wasn't like trying to sleep on a pillow case full of tuna cans.

Quoteis there a foam insert I can put inside the mattress framework and store the mattress when it's not in use?

That could be a bit of a pain ---finding storeage room, moving it around when needed etc...I would suggest just making a 4" foam mattress and cover and selling the new mattress to try to get some of the money back. I've swapped out the el-cheapo foam in my camper(s) with decent 2.2lb density foam and it is very comfortable to sleep on. I would try closing the hide-a-bed with a sheet of 4" foam in there just to make sure you have room for it. Even if you had to go down to 3" I'm sure it would be quite comfortable because of the "trampoline" in the sofa bed.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on June 23, 2015, 05:02:05 am
Check this out,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231574186642
So how would that one work?

Would she have to take it off and store it when she isn't using it? I don't see that one folding up in a sleeper mech. She already has a 4.5" mattress that is too thick to fold up.

And you can't sit on the sofa cushions unless there is a mattress folded up inside.

Seems like it defeats the purpose of having a sleeper sofa if you have to store the mattress elsewhere.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban