Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:59:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What is your Niche Market?

Started by baileyuph, June 21, 2015, 06:48:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

In business much involved is the usual mainstream of work, routine as they say.

Question is do you have something that is different - some would call Niche Market - that is different from mainstream work and is or potentially very profitable?

In my line of work, "Niches" show up/develop or happen sometimes.  It is usually centered around something that fits the description:

- Consumer or business is willing to pay for and not mainstream
     - you can very do very efficiently
     - plenty of it to do

Niche markets can be very profitable - got any?

Niche markets - everyone can't do

Add interest by explaining the development of your market (how it happened).

Niche (French word there may be other spellings?)

Thought this might be of interest.

Doyle

SteveA

These markets can also find you without you even knowing what means most to a client.  Something the other guy wasn't providing. This may not be a niche market but ......
I have noticed that when I do my own pick ups and deliveries folks appreciate the personalized service.  Lately the old bones aren't too happy but I'm still the guy that goes to the door. 
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL - Behave today - you don't get a free pass to be crabby as usual
SA

baileyuph

Thanks for the input Steve, you don't know just how much as to what you say has lead to several very successful making niches or business, in my arena.

There is much that a small or any business can do to enhance their fortunes and it may may start with "can do" or "will do" business attitude.  Much more can be said.

You listed one, home service, that is one that seems to have experienced some pull back, applied smartly it can contribute.

There are other good ideas/experiences to be heard.

Doyle

MinUph

I'm finding cornice work to be a good filler. I like building all new rather than recovers. I get the same amount and it just seems easier to build new rather than strip them down. Cost is a bit more for lumber but I love wood so it's all good. We have been building alot of cornices here in florida. It also leads to other work.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I guess I've discovered a niche market quite by accident. Or maybe it discovered me.

A nearby fixture manufacturing company began hiring me a few years ago to custom build the padded seating portion of their products.

It actually started out with seats for shoeshine stands, believe it or not.

The orders have gradually evolved into seats for dressing rooms in major department stores all over the country. And I'm currently making wedge shaped pads to protect a steel cable on indoor golf nets. I've only made a few prototypes so far. But the order is expected to be in the $40K range.

The work is very easy, and the money is very good. As I get closer to my 60's, I could easily see myself dropping furniture and working for them exclusively.

Who knows? Maybe someday furniture will become my "niche".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Here are two reviews for two upholsterers in my area on Yelp.

1.   Asked for money upfront oddly made out to him personally rather than the business name, we paid nearly $200 for some pillows and arm chair covers for the couch.  When we took off the outer cover for the pillows when something began poking through the fabric, we discovered he had used regular STAPLES rather than actually sewing them!  They came apart in record time, of course.

He has never made the sofa arm covers and will not return calls.

You cannot tell from the website, but he actually works out of his garage...I do not believe this is a legit business at all and unfortunately we found out the hard way.

2.   The owner ******** is such an ignorant and arrogant s.o.b. that promises one thing (to call) and then doesn't. When you call he is seldom there but when he did return my call it was a nice nasty one liner statement to get my cushions and an abrupt hang-up before I could even respond. Upon picking up and paying the remaining balance he begins cursing at me that he does not work with others schedules or "kiss ass" over a few hundred dollar sales when he does thousands of dollar transactions. If I only knew from another person's experience how much of a true a-hole this guy really was, I would have never called him or given him any business of mine! Perhaps his crappy/very poor attitude and personality is why his wife, *****, is divorcing him this very week; still no reason to treat others so terrible regardless of how small the transaction. One day, it may turn out to be the only transaction option he has left, if any. Take my advice and regrettable experience and go elsewhere. 

Now most reviews I don't take seriously. I have no idea what transpired to lead up to such negativity. But it seems lately like a good niche market would simply be customer service.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Yea customer service is very important. To these 2 customers it would make a big difference. My predisesor was avery nice guy but came across as gruff sometimes.
Sometimes we say and do things that might be taken the wrong way i guess. And then some customers bring out the worst in us. Lol.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

A friend of mine is a retired executive and opened a very large woodworking shop (5000 sq ft), where he does a lot of things for himself, a few for others, and some ono-on-one teaching.   Based on the building, I'm not sure how he makes any profit to claim business is legit, but whatever.

Last year, he got a recurring job for a company that makes hearses.   He makes a bread-box-sized box that fits in the floor and holds a cremation urn (instead of a coffin).   Business varies, but sometimes it's 4 a month and sometimes 50.

Maybe 30 years ao, we vacationed at Colonial Williamsburg.   My kids and wife had to drag me out of a few of the shops, the coopers, the cabinetmakers, and the harness maker.   I will always remember what the leathermaker said.  He said he was from England.   In those days (ca. 1770) a leatherworker in England could afford to be selective.  In "the colonies" if a guy came in and wanted a saddle, you did it, if the next guy came in and wanted a suitcase, you did it.   Essentially a successful business rides the wave of customer demand.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

Slipcovers.  I don't jackass around with "sloppy chic" garbage. My slips. fit snugly, closely and are often mistaken for upholstery.  High end!

Marine.  I know how to make cushions for boats.  As such, I'm all about custom bedding and all manner of custom marine work. 

baileyuph

Very good information, for anyone related to a business is flowing through this thread.

I will add one that perhaps will be additive:

In the spirit of one path to success, I add that --

"Find something that you like to do, are very proficient and efficient at, and do a lot
      of it, of course pays well"

That philosophy has played out pretty well for me over time and played out again this week in that I have the fortune of doing a specialty item (over 100 items) for a large corporation (relatively speaking).  Very thankful for this niche. 

The business parameters are kinda of like the one Keith noted in his above post in that it is for a customer who has plenty of money (my opinion) and wants something that is not available on a shelf. 

The latest business request was even new to me, requied different engineering and a prototype.  The subject will be left there for it has been suggested a patent should be considered.  That is new turf for me.

Back to the input, thanks to all for the very interesting objectives/efforts reported, collectively, they are "over the top", if I might borrow that one.

Thanks,

Doyle