Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:35:21 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New topics

Started by gene, June 04, 2015, 06:00:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

Howdy,

I'm going to put decorative tacks on a new ottoman. The factory failed to put them on when they sold the ottoman.

The dec tacks are spaced apart, not ant trailed. The factory said there is an industry standard for the spacing. I have never heard of this.

Anyone know of an industry standard for determining the amount of space to use between dec tacks?

Thank you,

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I was unaware of any industry standard as well.

I use a strip of Pli-grip and a Sharpie to mark the holes when I'm spreading them out a little.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I would guess that the bigger the nail head -  a tiny bit further apart seems OK to the eye
SA

MinUph

Ya know when I learned this trade back in the late 60s there was what you might call a standard. It was 1/2 a head spacing. And all we really used were the french nat. or hammered. Now-a-days everyone seems to like close nailed. I think close looks cheap myself but I don't pay to have it done. So the customer gets what they want.
  It's pretty simple to gauge the spacing after a little experience. plus you can always bang them around a little with a dowel.
  Speaking of nail trim. We have had a lot of square nails lately. The last cornice job we built had them and they were real crap. The studs were off center and bent. A real challenge driving a nail in when the stud is off center on a square domed cap. Had to drive brads in to make the hole on about 25% of the nails.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

I know zippo about placing decorative nails on upholstered pcs..  But I do know a thing/two about using and placing functional buttons on garments... .  And one of the things I like to do when faced with a blouse/dress/skirt front that has a button closure is to "double up" on the closure points. 

Every closure point requires one button; but that doesn't mean you can't substitute 2 placed closer together to accomplish the same goal.  At first glance it seems like extra work, but when you rhythmically use the "doubled up" pattern you have a more interesting placket closure; esp. when the buttons are covered or contrast with the fabric of garment. 

Could you not employ the same idea of rhythm using the decorative nails?

MinUph

Never saw this done bobbin but might look fresh.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Thanks for the replies. If I ever get an answer from the factory on what their industry standard is, I'll post it.

I don't know if the pattern mentioned by bobbin would look good or not. I get a lot of interesting stuff from IDs. I'll keep this in mind if they ever ask about something different for dec tacks. It would be nice to do one and see how it looks.

I was always under the impression that spacing the dec tacks was a cheaper way to go because you are using less time and dec tacks.

Ant trails, to me, have a more formal look than spaced. Ants look good on leather. Now that I'm thinking about it, there are a lot of fabrics that look good with the spacing - less formal maybe, less attention drawn away from the fabric.

gene

Darren Henry

I wouldn't profess it to be "industry standard", but I like the look of leaving a space the size of the nail head between the dec.nails. Picture ant trail with every second one removed.

QuoteHad to drive brads in to make the hole on about 25% of the nails.

I cut the head off a dec. nail and put the nail end in a drill for that.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

I think the factory rep is blowing smoke up your shorts. I've seen all different size spacing and have also seen some sloppy "factory" brass nail heads. I'm sure this self important fellow thinks your just some hobunkin from Quwiffle who doesn't know which end of the tack hammer to use. If he's so friggen smart why couldn't he tell you the specs right then and there.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat for that reply
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

The only other time I've heard the term "industry standard" from a manufacturer, it was on a roll of vinyl. It said the warranty would be void unless the industry standard of 4-5 stitches per inch and 1/2" seam allowance was used.

gene

QuoteI'm sure this self important fellow thinks your just some hobunkin from Quwiffle who doesn't know which end of the tack hammer to use.

Actually, KodyD, it was my Interior Designer, who is in fact some hobunkin from Quwiffle who doesn't know which end of the tack hammer to use, that had talked to the factory personnel.

SofaD, on the threads per inch, my thought is that someone probably sewed a vinyl cushion cover with the smallest stitch on their machine and a 400 pound person did a belly flop on the cushion and it ripped apart. Complaints about the quality of the vinyl ensured.

gene

sofadoc

Here is still another industry standard:

MinUph

We has a piece of fabric last week that if we had used the standard 1/2" seam it would have fallen apart before we finished putting it on. I had my seamstress use 3/4" seam allowance on this fabric. Hope it holds. I remember herculon recommended a 5/8" seam allowance when it came out.
  I generally go by the Minichillo standard LOL.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website