Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:54:28 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Looking for a sewing machine

Started by MinUph, May 23, 2015, 07:31:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

May 23, 2015, 07:31:22 am Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:31:51 am by MinUph
  In search of a decent used machine to replace one that has been around just to long. The one that need replacing is Consew 206 RB (1) I believe. We have several feet for it so I'd like to find one that can use them. If you know anyone selling out and preferably close to Florida please keep me in mind.
 Walking foot decently priced. I also would like to know if a double needle could be used as a one needle as needed. I would like a double needle for french seams but don't want to have it only useable for that purpose.
 Thanks.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

otlass

I saw a few on Craigslist, nothing spectacular. From my knowledge Adler and Pfaff use different feet, most of the other brands use "Singer type" feet so they should be exchangeable. As for using a double-needle, the only way to use it would be to only thread one needle. I am not sure that I would like to sew like this on a daily base.
I have not bought anything from them, but have a look at Miami  sewing's Website.
If you ever make it down to Tampa lets have a drink together!

MinUph

Im not that far from Tampa. The shop is in Tarpon Springs and we live in Spring hill.
i havent found anything great on cl either. Ill checkout miami also. Im kind leaning towards a new conew.
http://zamirsew.net/consew-p1206rb-drop-feed-needle-feed-walking-foot-lockstitch-machine-reverse-big-bobbin/
im not much of a drinker but will stop by when im close. Leave your address here. You feell fee to do the same if in Tarpon
thanks.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Ya might be on to something there Paul, that looks to have the oil pump, pan also with nice wick system coming back down that's great for the all out pros sewers.
I had not seen all the models they build quite a few since Consew and Seiko are together, what 30 years now.
keep us posted and
Good day there

otlass

Looks like a nice machine. If I buy a new machine again I make sure that the people I buy it from set it up and make sure it works. When I bought my double needle it was a great price, but they shipped it straight to me without taking the machine out of the box. After I set the machine up I could not get the oil pump to work, and had to send it back to have it worked on.

MinUph

Yes this guy is across the country but I bought a machine from him a few years ago and it was setup nicely. Put it together in about an hour and it was ready to sew.
  Trying to get it shipped for free. If so its mine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

That's an interesting model Paul. It must be new. I don't remember seeing that one before.

It doesn't have quite as much RPM or stitch length as the 206. But still more than enough for furniture guys. Let us know how you like it compared to the traditional 206 type models. At that price, it probably makes more sense than gambling on a used one.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

From what I understand the Premiere models are new. More affordable and nicely equipped. I haven't been able to find out yet why they are "more affordable" Have to wait until tomorrow to talk to Zamir. I am hoping they didn't add any plastic to the units.
  I will keep you all updated. For the price it is a good deal. I am hesitant buying a used machine. You never know how much mono has run through them. I hate the stuff for more than one reason. Thats a main reason my 206rb has seen its day. That thread reeks havoc all through the machine.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Paul
Please expand on the short comings of mono -  My 31-15 was used often with that clear thread by the previous owner and I've only used my machine with nylon - so far so good but what I'm I on guard for ?

Thanks
SA

MinUph

Hey Steve,
  If you don't have issues with it don't worry. If a machine runs mono through it a lot after a while the mono will cut groves into the parts. Mostly where the thread runs through the guides. But this will also happen in the bobbin case and hook. I use to use mono up north on my pfaff and was told this by my machine tech but used it anyway. We didn't do as much work as I'm doing now and the machine I'm replacing has run mono for a long time.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

May 26, 2015, 06:25:04 am #10 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:28:07 am by DB
Issues in this discussion are important, but equally important is to get/do the anlaysis to support best decision making.

If a buyer isn't sure about a used, a modified new (that is being sold slightly lower which seems to be the case here) then, try to find out what the new machine differences are.  That might be a challlenge but perhaps starting with a good tech who has been down machines a long time and this new machine.

Do your analysis on a used and a new to gain understanding.  

Yes, grooves do occur, but not only with clear and nylon.  Use cotton (stronger stuff in this scenario) long enough and grooves will occur (obviously slower rate).

All that said, if there is an apparent good deal on a tried and true used machine, do the anlaysis to determine if it is fine or be made whole without a lot of effort and expense.
For example look for the grooves and sometimes the parts to fix won't break the bank.  

I have a 111W155 and it will last another 50 years with the correct maintenance, tension disc and where needed parts have been replaced.  That cost hasn't been much but maybe today's cost is different?

This isn't a suggestion to buy a W155 or the like, but seems the 206 should be looked at to support the best decision making?  Of course the whole picture needs to be looked at - as most you guys understand.

The new Consew 206 barks as a bargain, but what is the difference to bring price down?  Something most would want to know.  Don't misread, the machine could still be a good buy.  A point, marketing machines is like anything, price sells, sometimes at the expense of better quality??? Lots of questions.

Should answers develop about this brain storming - please educate the rest.

Thanks
Doyle

MinUph

This is a hard decision to make. New vs used. I have never felt comfortable buying anything used unless I knew the item personally. I also realize New nowadays is not like it was 30 or 40 years ago. The quality just isn't the same no matter what you spend.
  I went to a sewing machine shop today to stop in and see what they had. I asked the owner what he thought about the premiere models from Consew. His flat answer was they are no good. Get a Juki. Not what model, just flat out "They are made in China there NG" He then showed me a Juki that had some other name on it so I ask why does it have that name? His answer was it was made in China. Well that was interesting. I had not been impressed with this shop as they fixed the machine I have now for my xboss on several occasions and it was never better when it was returned. But he is close so I figured I'd meet him and see. No change in how I feel for this mech.
  I am still leaning towards the model I mentioned. The advertizing states it is made in Japan. Now it out of stock so I will have to wait for a new shipment to come in.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

May 26, 2015, 08:13:05 pm #12 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 08:16:36 pm by gene
I wonder if he showed you a Zoje? I have a Zoje and it's a Juki with a Zoje name printed on it.

I've used #52 mono thread on my Zoje sewing machine for 11 years now and can't find a groove or any other wear on the machine caused by it, anywhere.

It does seem like some machines wear more than others with mono. Even the same machine may wear more for someone than for someone else.

I like mono because I don't need to have a lot of different colored thread and I can use it for outdoor stuff also.

However, I do use #69 nylon on my Juki LU 562 (which has a smaller bobbin than the Juki LU 563), because I like how it sews. There's no logic to it. I could use mono, but I kind of like the feel of this thread with this machine.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I've seen grooves caused by sewing mono thread before. But it was usually in a small factory setting where they sewed full speed all day long. For slower stop and go sewing, I think it would take a long, long time to create a groove. 

I sewed on a 562 for 25 years. But it had a Glaco label on it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

papasage

consew and singer  is the same  all parts will interchange . consew is foreign made . used one for over 20 years and bought it used  . it was bought new in  1964 and i sold it in 1986 and still running .
just recovering 40 years