Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:40:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bimini Sleeves - What's the Formula?

Started by jojo, May 20, 2015, 01:51:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Is there a formula for sewing down bimini sleeves? I've tried keeping the bimini and pocket flat, then folding the flap towards the center, but once I get to the curves, there is a lot of extra fabric on the sleeve. A lot. How do you guys do it? Thanks!

Jo

Darren Henry

I cut my pockets  the same as the curve of the top. I trace the back edge of the top onto the piece that will be the flap---make a parallel line 5-5 1/2" and then draw in the ends. the forward edge gets attached to the top with velcro so that it is easy to take down for maintenance.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

May 21, 2015, 04:41:46 am #2 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:44:38 am by Mike
when I sew a top I mark the front of the top st the bow but I leave the canvas 8 longer front and back so the front and rear is marked 8" in on my canvas now cut the bow seam then I slide the 8" extra piece under the top canvas leaving 5" not under then I trace the front edge of the canvas top piece. cut this line I now hhave a 5" pocket matcing the shape cut the pocket 2" short at each end thiss allow for window zippers. now after butting the 5" pocket from the 8" piece leaves you piece I cut it 3" wide matching the curve again this is used for my visors
lay the 3 layers even at the edge and sew then fold th main seam over and topsew the main leading seam. the tal edge of the pocket is folded under and pulled nack and sewn down the frame are slid into the pocket or zippers are added to the pocket first for ezsy removal

jojo

Thanks guys. Here's what's happening when I go to sew the sleeve onto the bimini:

http://postimg.org/image/r32pr2iv1/

There is so much fullness at the curve I would have to fold it! I've tried easing it but it can't be done. In this photo, the bimini and pocket are pretty much flat on either side of the curve. If I try to flatten out the curve, the edge of the pocket goes off the edge of the bimini. I just don't know what I did wrong.
Mike, I did do it the way you said, which is the way they say to do it on the Marine Canvas training videos, and I've not had a problem in the past, just now. Weird. Maybe it is me, and I should start all over?

brmax

May 21, 2015, 08:50:17 am #4 Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:22:09 pm by brmax
jojo  on this edge closest im seeing the binded edge of the zipper, but I cant see any canvas, probably my eyes so I don't understand that yet I guess your sewing the binded zip 1/2 to the canvas top.
Anyway you others correct me if this is a wrong direction please, this edge closest/binded is sometimes installed/ sewn before zipper when laid flat back under top and sewn to top then within that, it is then cut and zipper installed.

Good day there, and nice material your using.

jojo

Thanks Brmax! That was the problem. It was my first time trying it that way, so I went back to sewing the sleeve down by itself first, and it worked just fine. Thanks again.

Mike

with the curve and placing the zipper as you have the zipper canot curve as both halfs are the same length if I add a zipper on the edge of the pocket as you have I don't bind the zipper so wheb I pull it over to sew I can make little fold or darts around thwe curve the binding dosent allow for a better boaat top dob all my pockets have the zipper sewn to the center of the pocket side to side  then split into 2

jojo

Mike, that was really what was at the crux of the matter. I had such a hard time sewing down the sleeve, remembering in the past that it wasn't always right the first time I did it. But the folks at Sailrite have done the best job so far in explaining the formula for easing up the pocket at the curves, so I'm pretty confident I have it right.
Here's the link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2-rywqZrjY

One more question though, if you don't mind. If you are making a connecting piece for a bimini, in other words, another bimini that zips to the aft of the main one, should the aft flap of the main bimini be fitted or flat?

Thanks!

Darren Henry

I like to go fitted so that it lays flat along the line of the tops. A flat flap (simple rectangular strip) will curve down when sewn to the top. Makes a nice seal on a stern curtain---but makes for some ugly wrinkles on a camper back.

Another thing I like to do on flaps is to let them sweep down 2" so I can velcro the corner to the side curtain(s)/screen(s). I start about 6" forward of the flap on my top side edges and make a "tear drop". I'll try to find a pic. in the next day or two. I had posted this once years ago, but can't remember where i left the pics.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

jojo as I said taking your 1 1/2 zipper and curving it the inside curve needs get shorted with fold or darts binding as they did and you did the binding dosent allot it to shorten ill push a unbinded zipper tape and if nessacary make small folds to do so ,   the way I do pockets as most call then not sleeve ( and visor rather the tails)for a budget top no zippered pocket better hob ill add a zipper like you did but with no binding for the best work ill add a zipper to the pocket on the backside right down the center of its length

also sailrite shows starting yiur zippers in the center  of the pocket middle of the top. doing this with a non locking zipper. I see more damage occur with people and locking zippers not operating correctly. well if it was yout=r boat you would see a bimini pocket it the zipper stated in the center and stoped at the outer sides of the top . the zipper can start to open with the wind next thing the top is coming up open off the sholder of the top starting the zipper as I do at the side and stopping ending in the center ths dosent happen ..also it you have a rear camper top if the canvas is verrt snug with rear support legs now straps somtime you need to release one leg to have slack in the canvas to zipper the rear top to te main top.  if the zippered pocket on the camper rear main bow stop in the center you can open the unzip the zippers most of the way this slacks the canvas top in the center to zip the two top together, two tops zipping together I like the zippers to start in the center  (huh)  or a front window or aft curtian