Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:36:13 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

bar stool blues

Started by lizzieb, May 06, 2015, 09:08:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lizzieb

Help! I am working on typical bar stools and am having trouble with one side always coming out uneven. I make sure the front and back are cut out and sides are even, I sew the welting on the back and when I sew the front to back starting the stitching in the middle,one side always comes out uneven! What am I doing wrong? When I take it apart and lay them on to of one another they are even again.HELP! Please.

Darren Henry

It sounds like the material/vinyl is stretching or bunching on you. use more reference marks and staple the pieces together before sewing. Sewing the welt in as you sew (only one pass through the machine) will also help. If the sewing machine is bunching the bottom layer, try backing off the tension on your presser foot.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Are these round bar stools with welting and boxing. If they are I can tell you an "out of the box" method someone once showed me.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

lizzieb

Thanks for the suggestions. I do seem to have a problem with the amount of pressure on the foot.  I have the pressure foot control on top of the machine almost out and yet, I can't pull fabric through. It is a fairly new machine time to call the service man I guess. I have read the manual (for what it's worth lol) and it scared me that I might totalky screw it up.
I know the pressure adjustment is not right, I will start there. It's a juki 1541s if anyone can tell me how to do it in English! Thanks

MinUph

If your pressure foot adjuster is almost out you might be thinking this wrong. Screw it down so there is more pressure on the foot to pull the fabric through.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

lizzieb

I have the repairman on his way coming next week. The pressure on the presser foot is the same whether it is almost out or all the way down -
. Thanks for your suggestions though, I appreciate them.

baileyuph

Had a similar problem with the ultra soft vinyl, turns out it was a material issue.  Resolved by not using some of the previous patterns (materials will stretch more in one direction).

So, a combination of things corrected the problem, mainly respecting the stretch direction of the material.

Ironic in a way because the material was very expensive.

I checked it out on three different machines in the shop, same on all.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: lizzieb on May 08, 2015, 11:41:22 pm
I have the repairman on his way coming next week. The pressure on the presser foot is the same whether it is almost out or all the way down
I have a Juki LU-1508, which is the top load version of your 1541.

The presser foot tension adjustment on my machine makes very little noticeable difference whether all the way up or all the way down.

With it adjusted all the way up, I can just barely pull a piece of paper through without tearing it. This has been my observation on most every WF machine that I've ever sewn on.
So don't be surprised if your repairman checks it out and tells you that nothing is wrong. I mean, if the tension spring inside the end-cover plate isn't broken, then there really isn't anything he can do. I guess he could replace it with a lighter-tension spring. Or he could lower the height of the feed dog. But I think I would leave well enough alone.

I think you may be barking up the wrong tree.

I've had the problem that you're describing before. Instead of lining up your 2 center marks when you start sewing the front and back panel together, I "fudge" a little by moving my top (front) panel a little bit away from the mark.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

May 09, 2015, 12:28:16 pm #8 Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:01:33 pm by brmax
Just checking both and have smooth standard feet not running cording feet, 1508nh knurled nut standing proud 1-3/16" and 1541s at 7/8" and it feels a bit tougher with that low yet both able to pull Top Notch and Top Gun through both ways with both p&w feet down.
These really have new feeder and plates as one set in a warehouse and other I jus replaced the raised binder plate.
retiming this 41 and checking bobbin case's tensions to be the same as I want/have to go by what I know and that's machinery and not yet canvas n upholstery what I want.
testing here the looks of things on top tension only, changes with 1,2, 6 layers sometimes very close to correct I find some puckering but looking real close one or other side tension is "straighter" and pulling the loop high or low.
I really thought it was a pain with the equipment field but learned and respected the mundain go down the list of checks, I guess ive lost it as I still enjoy working on this stuff. these are cleaner!
Though Its so tough asking a Pro I don't mind as I just did the other day Ask Gregg and was answered quickly, This I have also had experience with Bob and great thanks to both.
I realize they probably answer questions from me to relax as their big company/institution accounts are there bread n butter so Im glad to hear from them or what they mention on the sites with tips anytime.
good day there

fragged8

have you tried stapling the parts together before you sew them ? it will stop things shifting around . then you can pull the staples when finished .