Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:53:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Band aid record

Started by cajunpedaler, April 16, 2015, 09:31:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunpedaler

April 16, 2015, 09:31:09 am Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:32:53 am by cajunpedaler
OK...so what is YOUR world's record for working with the most band aids on fingers?  Today, I'm working with both thumbs and left index finger front pad with band aids.

If anyone would see me, I wonder what they think? And why does it always happen when you are working with a light colored fancy cotton or linen?

Perry
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

sofadoc

I don't think that I've ever had a Band-Aid on any of my fingers during my adult lifetime (I'm a masking tape kinda guy).

Peeling that stupid wrapper off a Band-Aid is maddening, especially if you're trying to do it with a bloody finger(s). I'd rather just grab some masking tape and "go to town" on it.

During the course of a normal work day, it's not unusual to see me with a couple of mummified fingers.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

One tear out, I had both thumbs, the back of my left-hand, and two fingers on the left hand in band aids.  Hubby started calling me "Les Nesman" ; )  Since he started doing the tear out, I don't have near so much of a need for band aids. 

I was wearing a lot during Joe's teething stage but the were mostly on the back of my hands and arms.  My arms have almost completely healed now (it's been close to thee weeks since he ripped me open) so I'm thinking Band aid is in danger of going bankrupt. : o

Virginia 

SteveA

Doc - I recommend using band aids - you can unwrap 10 of them at a time and pin them overhead with clothes pins for immediate use -  and have the Neosporin close by for when you are injured.  Masking tape just isn't trendy - had you said duct tape .....
SA

gene

I use band-aides anytime I need to stop the bleeding or to keep dirt out of a cut. I also use them if I'm tying twine for tufting and a spot on my finger is getting sore from where I pull the twine tight.

I put anti bacterial stuff on every cut or staple puncture.

I also use Liquid skin. I think this stuff is awesome.

Probably 4 were the most band-aides I've had on my hands at any one time. I hate it when the band-aide starts to stretch and gets too loose and I put a staple through it.  :) I've never left it there, but I wonder what a future upholsterer would think if he/she saw it?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

Quoteif I'm tying twine for tufting and a spot on my finger is getting sore from where I pull the twine tight.

Back in my former life we ran into that sewing welts onto boots. Most of us made leather rings that we put on like that and then put them back in our tool tray for the next day. Cut a strip of 4-5 oz. garment leather long enough to go around that finger 1 1/2 times and skive the inside end. Glue the grain side of the inside end and the flesh side of outside edge and wrap around your finger---voila re-usable finger guards.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

Darren
What are the best glues to use for gluing the soles back when they start to detach ?

Thanks,
SA

gene

SteveA,

I can tell you that the foam spray glue that I use for my foam is not the best for floppy soles. It doesn't seem to work.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

SteveA

I've used Gorilla glue with sort of good results.  Was thinking of trying a construction adhesive like PL400 - I've used that before when I worked for a living - strong stuff - but I'm holding out for a cobblers trade secret -

SA

Darren Henry

If they are plastic soles I use HH66,but I don't follow the instructions. I apply a coat to both surfaces  an let stand 1 hour,apply second coat, wait an hour and reactive with a heat gun and press.

If they are leather ,rubber or crepe there are a number of contact cements designed specifically for that. Barge cement is probably the most common and the easiest for you to find, but not my first choice. My favourite is Helmifix by helmitin. [I also swear by their foam adhesive helmiprene] Renia is good as well.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

Thanks Darren -
They are my work shoes - black sneakers by New balance - I've worn them for years but lately the soles have been detaching after only about 4 months.  They were $ 50.00 but still thought I'd get more then 4 months ?  The glues haven't held so hopefully the Barge cement will do the job. 

Regards,
SA

jock36

I thought the posts title refers to the hit charity single by Bob geldof & chums 😆

But yes I've had the odd day where I've needed 3 plasters on one hand & 2 on the other, usually when stripping.

Chris
To make a rich person work harder.. pay them more. To make a poor person work harder pay them less....

Darren Henry

I've always heard of " band-aids" being called plasters across the pond----but never heard what you use to set a broken bone. Here it would be a plaster cast or more commonly " a cast".

BTW when you visit here order (french) fries with your fish or you'll get a sack of crisps when you ask for chips.

jock36

From my neck of the woods we'd call plaster cast a 'stookie' & your correct in your thinking a band aid/plaster cast would be used for larger wounds/broken bones over here....for the fingers plasters is what it says on the box.

Funny thing is I broke the two metacarpals in my left hand 18 months ago, it got set in a plaster cast/stookie in what they called the Edinburgh position, I said to the nurse surely it should be called the Dundee position as this was where the A&E is 😁 it got a wee giggle thou...helped with the pain at time.

Yeah the fries/chips thing is a classic......we also have what we call (flavored) crisps & you'd call them potato chips?

Anyhoo

Chris
To make a rich person work harder.. pay them more. To make a poor person work harder pay them less....

chrisberry12

Why so many band aides? If you are stripping use gloves. When I tie springs or a lot of buttons I take leather scrap and sew so it fits snug on my pinky finger. If a rip a finger in a staple I forgot to hammer down I wrap with masking tape and tissue, much cheaper then using a bunch of band aides that keep falling off. As you learn your tools you will use less band aides, I had a good friend tear his hands all up stripping, just hammer down all the staples that break as you move along the piece.

Chris b