Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 09:26:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Juki learning curve update

Started by NDAV8R, April 01, 2015, 06:01:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NDAV8R

April 01, 2015, 06:01:41 pm Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:31:14 pm by NDAV8R
You Guys are Great!
Thanks for all the input so far...KEEP THEM COMING!
Here are some new baby pictures which some have requested. (Click on thumbs, then click on Photobucket's magnifying glass to see full image)Here is the overall pic of the machine and stand which I mounted on swivel locking casters.
They way I can move it around my shop and tables to my choosing. when I'm done it can get tucked back in.

Here is the extra clearance from what my Consews had...it was the main reason I bought this because of the large aviation
panels and carpet pieces I have to jam inside.

Here is Walking foot clearance using the knee lift. A Massive 20mm or in this case a dime on a quarter!

And the bobbin size is a lot larger, 1 1/8" compared to 1" and are a little wider.

Now I guess I am committed to many more years of torture, so you guys will have to put up with me.  :)
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

brmax

You learn well my friend!
And hey thanks for the pictures, it all looks great.
Good day there

Mike

April 06, 2015, 06:20:49 pm #2 Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:22:22 pm by Mike
Gale im jealouse   make my old singer and juki  look like home machines

oh and I though you worked for a airplane repair shop or are you now working out on your own?

NDAV8R

April 07, 2015, 05:42:05 am #3 Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:43:55 am by NDAV8R
Hey there Mike:
  No, I am still working at the Fargo Jet Center. Since none of the 28 guys in the maintenance department don't know how to tig weld, they call on the old fart (me) to do all the welding and machining. (every weld gets tested and certified)  I do like the variety.
   Last fall the Fargo Jet Center acquired another big aircraft repair facility in Minneapolis, which has it's own paint and upholstery dept.  Since there are about 8 in that department, I rarely do any sewing except some piece meal stuff and of course the harder crap.   I know I do a lot of things backwards, and I had enough of fighting large amounts of sewing materials in my small sewing machine's opening.  So I bought this machine ($2700) on my own, knowing I will use this along with all my other ones till I take my last breathe.

Gale.

Darren Henry

April 07, 2015, 03:37:13 pm #4 Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 03:39:39 pm by Darren Henry
QuoteI had enough of fighting large amounts of sewing materials in my small sewing machine's opening.

You mean like this ? It's a 30X20X8 foot peaked "tent roof" I did a couple of years ago for our outdoor market out of 18 oz. Vintex (Herculite). It was so big and heavy that  we ( I needed a helper to move it) had to set up in the back corner of the compound because there was no room in the shop. I had to use the Consew 226 (9 in. throat) because our long arm machine ,"big Beula (sp) " would have required a crane to get her down there. The bucket on the skid steer was too small----I checked LOL.

BTW I'm sitting at the Consew in this picture; you just can see her for all the material.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

Gale,
You are such an inspiration, I wouldn't say you are good at what you do but I would say your likely -- "perfect"!!!!!!!!!  A craftsman such as you will get it that way every time. In that perspective, there is no doubt that the sewing skills are already very good but will build into something special, it is apparent you are already enjoying that new Juki!

I have the Juki long arm (length - forgot something like 28 inches) and use it very often.
A point-- my long arm Juki will use feet designed for the Consew and Singer machines, which is a plus since I also have Consew equipment.  So, I am wondering if the feet for your Juki are unique or interchangeable like my Juki does?  Just a thought that crossed my mind since your machine is very heavy duty.

A welder-- I have and use a Mig for a lot of my older car restoration seat work.  Never did understand clearly the difference between Mig and Tig welding?  My recall might not be correct, I just remember it was temperature related?

Again, congratulations, your sporting a pretty good learning curve.

Doyle

NDAV8R

Hey there Doyle:
   This Juki LU2810 14" machine's feet are both the round post design and will interchange with Juki 2000 series machines like LU2210, Adler 367, 467, 767, 768, 867, Pfaff 1425 and 1525.  I did find a tip stitch for either side of the needle in a few different widths. The feet are a little more in price.
  As far as the welding goes, there is your basic soldering(like electronics) then silver brazing (not called silver soldering) then brazing with oxy-acetylene, then gas welding with oxy-acetylene, then your stick welding, then you have Mig or wire welding which is contact, globular or spray arc process. And then you have misc manufacturing type welding like ultrasonic, and friction or spun welding. Which leads up to (to me) the ultimate...the TIG (tungsten Inert Gas) welding process. It use to be called Heli-arc when invented in the 1940s since it started with helium gas as a shielding or fluxing agent.
  Now we use mostly 100% Argon instead, with the option of helium but so expensive.   Tig welding is the hardest to learn, since you have to manipulate an electronic torch in one hand, a filler rod in the other, and a foot pedal or thumb control to control your ever changing amperages on the go. In tig you can weld almost any metals, in any positions (flat horizontal, vertical or overhead). I have welded mild steel, aluminum, chrome moly, titanium, Inconel, stainless steel, brass, magnesium, copper, even lead with tig.  It does take an acquired skill to get the hang of it.
  It is the safest by far. There is no sparks flying around, no open flame, and virtually no smoke at all unless you have impurities on your metal. Also the tig process creates ozone... my shop is clear and smells like a fresh air generator at the end of the day. Expensive to get into...I have 2 Miller Tig welders...Dynasty 200DX, and Miller Dynasty 350 amp machines. $4500, and $8000. And I have a 300 amp Mig welder. Yes that hurt and I did cough up the money from previous jobs. Here is my 350Tig welder on top of my 300 Mig welder and a home made water torch cooler on top, all on top of this homemade cart add on I built.

And here are some of my aircraft welds I do for my employer...

I also weld very thin stainless steel trim on classic cars...I am the only one in the area that does it. Trim can get down to .010" (ten thousands of an inch). I have weld razor blades to tin foil together at 1 amp.  here is a few pics of a newly fabricated door trim for a 61' chevy fleetline pickup that you can not find..so I made one from extra box trim.

Here is the final polished trim.

Most of the stainless steel trim welds are about a dimes width..

Well, I bored you guys enough!
Gotta get my 5 hours of sleep...
Gale.

Mike

Quote from: NDAV8R on April 07, 2015, 05:42:05 am
I had enough of fighting large amounts of sewing materials in my small sewing machine's opening. 

I had to wrestle this cover under my small arm last week

how are you doing still well I hope , this past December my brother had a stroke while working on a boat but hes doing well after a bypass

NDAV8R

April 09, 2015, 04:07:51 am #8 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 04:10:17 am by NDAV8R
Hey there Darren and Mike:
  Although I don't have any pics, I had to sew a hot air balloon in my small machine.  What a mess and the FAA's regulations were horrendous!  Never, never again.
  As far as my health, I still go back on a yearly basis for x-rays to see if I have any reoccurring cancer...and after jumping through a montage of HOOPs for the FAA Medical Division, I have been granted my Commercial Pilots Certificate back.
 Ya Mike, I have read about the news of your brother you wrote back then...hope things are better.

Gale.

Darren Henry

Mike; I did a cover about that size back in Kenora when I had my own shop. I lucked out in that I was able to "sell" the guy on the advantage of doing it in three zippered sections so that it was easier to store and put on/take down. I had a couple of slightly smaller ones that didn't bite. They sucked---but at least it wasn't 18 oz. Herculite.

Gale; Glad to hear you keep getting clean bills of health and have your certificate back. Right on! ( as we say up here). The last we talked about this, you mentioned starting to get some taste back [during your treatment everything tasted like dry-wall mud if I remember right], how has that played out ?

Those welds are ART buddy!!! Amazing work. My question though is ---if you are doing this for your employer, why are you buying the tools to do his jobs ???  I brought some of my tools (that I had anyway) etc... that the diaper doesn't have . But my new screw gun combo is for me and his are for company use.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

NDAV8R

Darren:
  My taste is only about 70% of what it use to be. Got dry mouth pretty bad 24-7. Like having Cotton mouth from a 3 week drunk! Chew a lot of gum with Xylotol...seems to help. Tried a lot of stuff that my dentist recommended. Learned to live with it. Also from all the radiation I took for the Tonsil Cancer, left almost all the nerves in my mouth so sensitive I can't have any thing with carbonation...like pop, beer(sh*t and I loved keg beer), champagne, and certain  steak sauces, ketch-ups, and such. I now drink nothing but water, milk, power aids, and tea. They (the doctors) say it won't get any better from here on out based on past patients.  Oh well, i here today to talk about it.
   As far as purchasing my own equipment...all the mechanics have their own toolboxes loaded with tools. I use a little strategy here. If my welders and other equipment are in my own shop, I can stay home to operate all of them there. I'm on salary anyways, so i just work by myself and keep track of the hours billed to the customer.  Then I can use all my equipment on secondary (outside of work) income.  They do pay me a pretty good amount of money for maintenance. Also they pay for all my consumables and tooling. It works out good for all parties.