Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:09:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

staples breaking

Started by cajunpedaler, March 20, 2015, 05:01:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunpedaler

Seems like I've seen this discussed before..but here goes my rant anyway.  I've been using BEA staples and lately they are breaking. whenever you have to lift one that's misplaced...and they ALL break.  So I bought a box of Empire staples and same thing.  So I am wondering if there is a common denominator in my staple gun...I looked at the driver (the tongue that pushes the staples out of my Rainco gun) to see if there was wear, uneven, etc that could be affecting the staples.
I've asked both my suppliers if they were getting complaints about staples being weaker and from both suppliers I got no comments from other upholsterers.
Anybody else?
Perry
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

sofadoc

A combination of factors. Cheaper quality staples? YES! But also, many frames are built from cheap Asian hardwood that just won't let go of a staple.

I've been buying generic brand staples from my supplier. They're cheaper, and the name brand staples such as BEA and Empire don't seem to perform any better.

I'd rather deal with staples breaking when you try to remove them, than the ones that jam in my gun.

Pick your poison, I guess.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

March 20, 2015, 07:09:26 am #2 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:10:54 am by kodydog
Staples that break are a PITA. It creates twice the work.

You can tell if its the wood or the staple by how much pressure it takes to break one,

My supplier sells BEA. And I buy by the case. The odd thing is theres no consistency. Some cases are better than others. The 3/8" staples I'm using now seem to be pretty good. But other times every one broke. I was using 1/2" yesterday and noticed they all broke. Both my 3/8 and 1/2 are BEA.

It makes no since to me.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

March 20, 2015, 09:15:25 am #3 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:13:11 pm by MinUph
We use both whit NO name and Bostitch staples the Bostitch don't break.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteBut also, many frames are built from cheap Asian hardwood that just won't let go of a staple.

Their OSB (some people still call it "chip board") is even worse.  I had a guy drop by my shop as I was fighting with broken staples---theirs/mine/ what ever --- who worked at the strand board mill in Kenora. He took one look and said " No wonder, that is culled OSB. That's why there is no manufacturer's stamp on it. Too much glue---it's too hard".
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

March 20, 2015, 07:03:22 pm #5 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:05:43 pm by kodydog
What I can't stand about using the staples that break, you just know some of those pieces of furniture are going to come back to you. 9 or 10 years they'll be ready to be recovered again. Maybe I should just retire.  :D

vastonsmith

Can you all give me some you thoughts and experience using Velcro hook n loop types, Will adhesive get hot and be trouble in marine covers and similar uses.
ahsan

kodydog

May 06, 2015, 05:31:06 am #7 Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:37:07 am by kodydog
Hi Ahsan and welcome to the forum. You'll get a lot more replies if you go to the "My Community" page, then to "General Discussion" and start a new post by pushing the "New Topic" button.

I'm a furniture guy but will take a stab at the answer. I have a pop-up camper with adhesive type Velcro around the doors. It works fine but then again it rarely gets direct sunlight like a boat does out on the water. Here in Florida I can only guess your assumption about getting hot and messy is correct. Hopefully one of the marine peeps will respond.

Good day.

wizzard

QuoteCan you all give me some you thoughts and experience using Velcro hook n loop types

I work all the time with velcro, if you work with velcro you have to keek one item in mind, even wider the velcro strip is - even better the it sticks together. I use velcro for drapery valances to stick it to boards. Easy installation and the customer can take the valance easy off for cleaning. If you cannot staple the velcro you can also glue it - like in boats on fiber glass.
At present I have an upholstery job of a sofa were the bottom is all fastened with velcro, it works perfectly easy to take off and change to new material.
concerning staples breaking, I don't blame that much the staples - its more the wood - if it is a hardwoodframe mostly from an asian country you will run into problems that the staples break when you try to remove them. (very hard wood) not an oak or beech frame.