Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:06:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The next door neighbor

Started by sofadoc, March 18, 2015, 08:15:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

If it weren't for "word of mouth", I would've been out of business many moons ago.

But that "word of mouth" doesn't always translate well to the house on either side of a customer.

Most every time I deliver something, the customer says "I've got a neighbor that wants to talk to you". So I have to wait around for my customer to get her neighbor to answer the phone, then I have to go next door, and walk through their entire house looking at furniture that they're only mildly interested in having recovered.

I quote them a few ballpark prices........their eyes get wide as saucers........and they say "Thank you, I'll let you know".

I would rather that my customers didn't prod their neighbors into something that they're really not ready to do. If the neighbor sees my work, and wants to call me, let them do it on their own.

I've done a ton of work for friends and neighbors of customers over the years. But very few when I simply walked next door after a delivery.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I would rather give the original customer a couple of cards and the neighbor can call on their own or e-mail photos.
I never want to spend more then the time needed to make the delivery.  But Doc - you like to schmooze !
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: SteveA on March 18, 2015, 08:37:45 am
I would rather give the original customer a couple of cards and the neighbor can call on their own or e-mail photos.
That's what I prefer to do. But then the customer gets that hurt look on their face because I appear not to be enthused about pursuing the lead they've just given me.

And then there's the ones who want me to follow them in their car to a friend's house a few miles away, or better yet.........ride in their car with them.

I learned a long time ago that customers get in no hurry when they're wasting YOUR time.

MinUph

I have no time to do this sort of thing. If I go on a delivery and this came up all I would say is, I really would love to talk to so and so but I just cant right now as I have other things scheduled right now. Please have them give me a call so I can schedule an appointment with them.
  I just can't waste the time even if it isn't a waste.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

I like Paul's approach.  Play the "tight schedule card"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Every time I'm talking to a policeman, whether he's on duty or off, when I tell them I'm a furniture upholsterer, they always ask me if I do cars. Always. I don't know why.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Every time I answer the phone and its a guy the first thing I think is, he wants his car seats upholstered. They usually go right into the description without asking if I do them.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on March 19, 2015, 06:23:23 am
Every time I'm talking to a policeman, whether he's on duty or off, when I tell them I'm a furniture upholsterer, they always ask me if I do cars. Always. I don't know why.
Hey, not just cops. Any time that I'm introduced as an upholsterer to ANY man, the next words out of his mouth is "Do you do cars?"

Why?............It's simple. Men don't give a hoot in hell about the furniture. But if something happens to their car/truck seat.........WHOA NELLIE!!! Now we have a true catastrophe on our hands!

Quote from: kodydog on March 19, 2015, 06:30:27 am
Every time I answer the phone and its a guy the first thing I think is, he wants his car seats upholstered. They usually go right into the description without asking if I do them.
It's almost like if they can finish describing their vehicle BEFORE you can interject that you don't do cars, then they've beaten you, and now you HAVE to do it.

Darren Henry

March 19, 2015, 04:10:35 pm #8 Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:14:40 pm by Darren Henry
QuoteIt's almost like if they can finish describing their vehicle BEFORE you can interject that you don't do cars, then they've beaten you, and now you HAVE to do it.

I think this goes back to the other thread of late about customer ignorance of "what really happens" in our trade(s). I believe that they think that if they tell you how "quick and simple " the job  is you will take it on whether you do auto of not. I have to do auto [although I'd rather chew tin foil ] , where I see it more is in the quote/billing. My analogy to them is ---" It doesn't take long to change pistons---once the motor is tore down; if you have all the right tools.".

If you don't see "the porch lights" come on when you tell them that, throw a paper airplane down wind. By the time they quite chasing it, they will have forgotten they talked to you. Unless,of course they left their banjo at your place---or their sign.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

From time to time I will get a customer who wants me to recover one of their coach seats. I try and explain that upholsterers specialize like Doctors and none of us are masters at everything. They seem to think we are experts at all things under the upholstery umbrella.

Maybe I am wrong but I have always felt if you have a marine upholstery job then take it to someone like Mike or June or Rick who specializes in this sector. If you have a couch, chair or other interior job take it to a master like Ed or Paul, gene, Keith, etc.

If you have a complex auto job take it to someone like Doyle. The fact is we are spets in our own little world and while most of us can sew just about any project, the area we work in day in and day out is the area where our work shines through.

I do not know of many upholsterers who are experts in all areas of upholstery. The knowledge base for one individual would have to be huge. Take auto's for instance, how many have stayed on top of the latest technology with heated seats, air bags, etc. ? If someone dropped a sofa on my door step I wouldn't even know where in the hell to begin. Likewise if I dropped an Omega awning on one of you furniture guys porch you could probably sew it but I am betting once installed it would be a poor fit because of the tricks I have learned.

In regards to marine work, that is another huge learning curve. Not only the exterior covers but the interior portions like cushions, headliners, couches, berths, etc. Some of the huge enclosures done by Mike and June are complex works of art. I get heart burn just thinking of them.

I enjoy passing along work to others in my area. I know when things are out of my wheel house and I have no problem stepping up and saying take it to Rick or Paul or Mike.

Chris

Mike

there is a express cruiser at the dealers where my shop is the owner had a accident with his boat lifts roof and didn't stop the lift and the top frames were bent so I pricd the repair for them today the insurance agent came and I was asked to talk t them about my quote breal\kdown material vs labor 
the the canvas only had failed seam they could be resewn whu couldn't I just bend new frame he has been doing this the insurance agen a long time seems no problem I said I cant garrenty I can bend new frames to fit the old canvas. its hard enough to make a new top fit the old windows the owner has put away but the labor involved to custom build a jig to match the oem frames  well I could built a whole top frame and canvas  to not had baggy canvs illfitting on new frames   I said have a nice day and walked away