Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:37:00 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question For Some of You

Started by Mojo, March 13, 2015, 06:17:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was just thinking after making a statement in another post about time spent at the machine.

I spend gobs of time stitching. Measuring, cutting, folding take up time but it seems the vast amount of my time is spent sitting down stitching. It made me think how much time do you spend sewing ?

I have never worked in the furniture or automotive ends of this business so I really do not have a clue as to how much time one spends actually stitching. In regards to you Auto/Furniture guys and gals it would seem that due to the complexities of your layout work and the varying degrees of shapes and sizes that alot of time would be spent measuring, laying out cutting, fitting, etc.

I have always felt that one could train a monkey to do the work I do since everything is rectangular. The only thing that changes is the dimensions or lengths/widths. I have many days I wished I could tear into a project like a chair or car seat or whatever. If nothing else then to break up the monotony. :)

So how many hours out of a project that you work on do you actually sew ? If your doing a chair and it takes 5 hours how much is spent at the machine ?

Chris

sofadoc

It can vary. On average, I spend about 3 out of every 8 hours behind a sewing machine. I wish I could spend more time sewing, since I have plantar fasciitis in my feet.

Ironically, I would rather just have a lot of the repetitive (trained monkey) sewing jobs that you've grown weary of.   
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

mike802

I only spend around 2 to 3 hours sewing on a furniture project depending on if it has a skirt or not.  Automotive work is much more sewing intensive than furniture.  Most of my time is spent measuring, cutting and applying the fabric.  If I have to match a pattern that time can increase dramatically depending on the complexity of the pattern.  I'm with Sofadoc, sure do wish I could sit down and do trained monkey work on many days.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

MinUph

I don't do much sewing anymore. I tend to do the bench work. But my seamstress probably spends 1/2 the day cutting and the other half sewing on average. Cutting and sewing if done properly will save the bench man time and work. I personally couldn't sit at a machine all day and sew. I'm good to do a piece and then do the bench work but couldn't just sew it would drive me nuts.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

I'm with Sofa on this one.  I'd rather sew.  It's too hot out on the boats doing patterns or cutting.  I spend maybe 1/3-1/2 of my time sewing.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I have 15 boat cushion to do ill be sewing al day tomorrow .
chris on a 12 hour canvas job about 6 hours is sewing
june are you doing any canvas at all or still just upholstery

baileyuph

Chris,

The answer to your question - your question about sewing time of other work compared to yours, will not be wrapped in a single statistic.  Some times I can go two days and not turn on a machine -installing convertible tops with associated equipment - for example.  Then on another day or days, it can mostly be sewing.

But, sometimes sewing beats the other back breaking work and working conditions.

So, keep a focus an those two needles viberating, as well - bills have to be paid and this isn't  government job (wink).

Doyle

Virgs Sew n Sew

I agree with the majority here.

I can go days without turning on my machine.  Then I will have days where I spend most of my time sewing (upholstery not the alteration side).  I think as a general rule that I spend 1/3 of my time sewing.  Remainder is spent measuring, cutting, stretching, etc. 

I like having the variety.  I would not want to sit at any of my machines all day.  I really would not want to spend all day cutting as that really rips up my fused back.  If I spread my tasks out evenly over the day, I feel like I do a better job as I don't get in a rut.  If I feel myself getting tired of something, I try to put it away and start fresh on something else.

Virginia

Darren Henry

I know exactly how Chris feels. I make quite a few RV awnings too; 15 minutes set up (pull out fabric/change thread/clear off sewing table/etc...) 15 minutes cut material, then sew sew sew. I won't embarrassment myself by telling the master how long it takes me. My thing is picking staples. The lion's share of my work load is fixing broken pieces of crud for our local retailers. For those of you have not been subjected to this; it includes gingerly removing piece of dung vinyl that has been attached with 2-3 times too  many staples (average an hour to hour and a half), sew the 2 in . rip and put the stuffing back in/ re attach.

Given my druther's ---I'd be at the cutting table making patterns and cutting/sewing them. If it were possible to go back in time I'd be an upper maker---let some one else modify the last and hand sew the soles on.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!