Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 06:07:45 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Catalogs and price lists

Started by sofadoc, February 26, 2015, 06:34:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I have lamented here recently that 2 delivery supply trucks that call on me have folded.

A fellow upholsterer recommended a wholesale supplier in Dallas to me. So I called the guy to set up an account.

I asked if he had a catalog or any kind of price list that he could e-mail to me.

He laughed, and said "No. If we put out a catalog, a competitor would just copy it and beat all of our prices by a nickel. Then we would have to beat their prices, and then they would beat ours again. I'm sure that you understand."

Well........no I don't understand. All I DO understand is..........any time that I buy from a wholesale supplier that doesn't have a catalog or price list, I end up paying anywhere from 25%-40% more than a normal, reasonable wholesale price.
And these places that are selling supplies at a price that falls somewhere between wholesale and retail will sell to ANYONE that walks in off the street. No tax ID, no proof of business of any kind.

It's a shame that I can get most items shipped in from another state cheaper than I can get them from a local supplier.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Well spoken is all I can say for the moment.
I found in my past work the salesmen and others in business seemed to start reducing the product line, while my cheat sheet of phone numbers was getting longer and more specific along with me doing more of that find product work that you could ask some of them. As you mentioned the connections I also found to replace or get a product were many miles away or states away. These few salesmen that were still coming in person were good but very specific in there craft and goods from the get go. I did appreciated them but talked to them the same as you sounded. Sometimes being straight up at the start is a good sign, so good luck.

I first read your post and thought "I bet the wall by his shop phone in so marked with numbers"
                                                                                 what a treasure of #

And other wall side had all the scores of the greatest ballgames

good day there

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on February 26, 2015, 06:34:17 am
It's a shame that I can get most items shipped in from another state cheaper than I can get them from a local supplier.

If you can get supplies cheaper shipped from another area go for it. I can understand thinking "local" and wanting to purchase form a local vender but money is money and business is business.

It's become a small world. I have to order special nails from Paris. Just can't get the exact thing here.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

What I found strange is that large supply companies have different pricing. If you call orders in to their inside sales staff the price XXX of dollars. But if you call it into your sales person then the price is sometimes lower.

I had this problem with Miami a year ago. I talked with the President of Miami and he normalized my pricing so I can order XXX amount of product from anyone in the company and the price is the same. Sometimes I order directly through my sales rep, sometimes through their 800 number and sometimes through the warehouse manager. It helps me when I have a standardized price.

There are other price formulas as well - cut yardage versus full roll goods. I get much better pricing on rolled goods then cut yardage. If your buying cut yardage then you can expect to pay more.

It is ironic you bring this up now. The President of Miami is coming into town tomorrow and taking me to lunch. This is one of the topics I will be discussing with him and will revisit pricing strategies for 2015 and beyond for us. We just had a price increase this year and I need to nail down my prices for the rest of the year. I need to know their game plan for their pricing. I hate surprises.

Chris

CharlesJk8

I found around my beyond work your salesmen and others in operation did actually commence decreasing the product collection, whilst my personal gain a advantage page involving numbers ended up being receiving for a longer time and even more specific as well as us performing more of these find product work that you may ask a lot of them. Because you mentioned your connections I additionally identified to replace or perhaps have a product have been numerous miles aside or perhaps expresses aside. These kind of several salesmen that have been nevertheless coming in person have been good although really specific within hobby as well as items from the get go. I did so treasured these although spoken in their eyes much like anyone sounded. Occasionally getting perpendicularly from the beginning is a great indicator, so great chance.
NoorAlamShahzad

sofadoc

Quote from: CharlesJk8 on March 30, 2015, 08:54:44 pm
I found around my beyond work your salesmen and others in operation did actually commence decreasing the product collection, whilst my personal gain a advantage page involving numbers ended up being receiving for a longer time and even more specific as well as us performing more of these find product work that you may ask a lot of them. Because you mentioned your connections I additionally identified to replace or perhaps have a product have been numerous miles aside or perhaps expresses aside. These kind of several salesmen that have been nevertheless coming in person have been good although really specific within hobby as well as items from the get go. I did so treasured these although spoken in their eyes much like anyone sounded. Occasionally getting perpendicularly from the beginning is a great indicator, so great chance.
I agree with everything you said..........except for the perpendicular part. I think congruent was the word you were looking for.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban