Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:22:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Huh?

Started by baileyuph, February 21, 2015, 07:25:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

This week, work included about 24 dining room chairs (reupholstery) and it was noted these customers regarded their furniture as higher quality.  They made the same general comment that the chairs were purchased from American furniture stores.  On hearing this it was assumed they thought they were made in the US, labels under the seats clearly stated "Made in China".

The furniture will and has lasted but found their understanding unusual.

It did involve pulling numerous staples, one of our favorite jobs?

Maybe it is the beginning of a new norm -- made in China is the new standard. 

Perhaps China is better than Bangladesh?

Oh well, I got paid.

Gene what is this transformation?

Doyle

papasage

40 to 50 years ago  if it was imported bit was  expensive  and good . now it is cheep and junk . mostly paying for freight and  store profit  . take that away from cost of Mfg.  you  can`t build it here for that . they have no  quality control  no waging hour law  and no  union .
  a lady came into my shop  looking for a  small piece of  fabric to cover a  chair  and 1 inch  foam pad  when i told her $10.00  she wanted  me to  come down on the price . she just left  wal mart  with piece of  fabric   did she ask for a reduced price . bet she didn`t  i was so pissed  i told her no  and just forge t about it and walked off . her  husban  said that was ok would pay it . i almost told hem  hell no .bu i didn`t .
just recovering 40 years

kodydog

Its hared to keep a good attitude when someone wants to haggle over $10.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I still get customers that gasp at the mere thought of paying more than $10 yd. for fabric.

And of course, there's always the prevailing thought "If I paid $500 for it when it was new, I should be able to get it reupholstered for at least half that amount.  And heck, I could get it slipcovered for even less!"
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

QuoteGene what is this transformation?

Doyle, I think "Made In China" has been the new norm for a long time. Bill Clinton removed all trade barriers with China. All the concerns with slave labor and inhuman working conditions in China were swept under the carpet. And the carpet, of course, was made in China.

Bangladesh still gives us a lot of clothes.

I'm finding folks want to believe whatever will further justify their purchases.

QuoteI still get customers that gasp at the mere thought of paying more than $10 yd. for fabric.

Back in my sales days I went through sales training where we were taught the art of gasping. Seriously.

The next time someone gasps, try this: Stare at them. Don't say anything. Don't move. Just stare at them. In your head start counting down from 100. This will give you something to do and you won't talk yourself into saying something to break the awkward moment. Try it. I'll bet you $1.27 the customer excuses away their own gasp. The primary benefit of this technique is that you are not reacting to the customer's gasp, which is why 'gasps' work in the first place.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

February 22, 2015, 08:33:03 am #5 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 08:40:08 am by byhammerandhand
Never had much sales training, but I heard the rule once put your number out there and , "Whoever talks next, loses."

----

And there's the old story about the lady who was having a garage sale.   A customer came up with something in her hand and said, "This is marked $5, would you take $2.50 for it?"   

The owner took the piece and looked it over.  She said, "Oh, you mis-read the price, it's actually 50 cents."   

"Oh, in that case, would you take a quarter for it?"

---

Pastor had a story in church this morning,  a priest and a rabbi were having lunch an comparing their respective faiths.

The priest explained they were just entering Lent, 40 days of repentance and atonement.

The rabbi said that the Jews have something very similar, Yom Kippur, that was a day in fall that was the same and was one of their high holy days.

That night the rabbi and his wife were having dinner and she asked how his day was.  He started to explain the 40 days of Lent and all of a sudden she starting laughing.   "Oh, the gentiles, the schmucks,  they always pay retail for everything."
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on February 22, 2015, 08:33:03 am
And there's the old story about the lady who was having a garage sale.   A customer came up with something in her hand and said, "This is marked $5, would you take $2.50 for it?"
The owner took the piece and looked it over.  She said, "Oh, you mis-read the price, it's actually 50 cents."
"Oh, in that case, would you take a quarter for it?"
OH SO TRUE!!! I absolutely despise garage sales. We decided a long time ago that if we had an old washing machine, or a lawn mower, or anything that still had some useful life left in it, we would find a needy family and give it to them rather than be haggled down to nothing at a garage sale.

My wife loves the idea. It gives her a reason to buy new stuff.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Customers in any situation are funny. Some make me laugh (when they of course) but most are fine people and just want to haggle for the sport of it. I don't haggle much once in awhile I will lower my price on fabrics if its a good job and it won't hurt but I always start at retail and most of the time it's fine. If it isn't I don't mind them going somewhere else. And sometimes they do. It's all in the customer base you want to serve.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website