Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:37:31 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Machines !!!!

Started by Mojo, February 15, 2015, 10:29:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

If ya'll didn't think I was nuts before maybe this will convince you.

I was thinking about my machines the other day and was considering selling one of them. Both the twin needles are out of the question as they are our bread and butter and do the vast majority of stitching. The Chandler we use for top stitching, welting and binding. The Juki 563ln we have as a back up for welting and top stitching and the wife makes awning pull straps with it.

I wanted to get rid of a machine to make a little more room in the shop but I just cannot get rid of that Chandler. It has been a rock solid performer and never gives us fits. It was the first real industrial machine I bought and I am attached to that thing. I just cannot get rid of it. The wife already told me the Juki is going no where as she loves that machine. As she stated " That is my machine' don't even think of it ".

So my plan to make room is off the books. I cannot stand the thought of parting ways with the Chandler and I would lose my happy home if I ever sold the Juki. Just wondering has anyone ever got attached to a machine before and couldn't part with it for love or money ?

Chris

JuneC

I sold an old black Singer 111w machine that I had picked up because I thought my original was dying.  Unfortunately it had a small bobbin so I sold it.  But before I did I cleaned it up really nice, oiled everything in sight, put a brand new hook in it, new guides for the thread, etc.  It was running crazy smooth when I let it go.  I've regretted it ever since.  I just keep reminding myself that the bobbin ran out way too soon. 

I have another machine now I need to fix up and sell.  I just don't use it.  But then, I'm a tool pack rat.  I'm one of those people who's collections you see at estate sales - the ones where you say "what was a marine upholsterer doing with a gear puller anyway?"

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

I have a Consew 225, I guess it is a knock off of the 111W155, the parts are interchangeable, and I appreciate what you are saying.  Small bobbin (not as big a deal in work that is not marine, however.  I bought this machine new and I never could get rid of it because of the feet/attachments that I have accumulated.  The feet are worth than the machine.  Believe me, I have welt feet that are never mentioned here for that machine.  Feet and attachments would cost over a $1000 to replace.  The only other machine that most of the feet will work on is my long arm Juki - big bobbin, but it wouldn't be the same as the old consew.

Sort of know what you mean, but it is due to the pragmatic reasons, I use those attachments because I do about anything related to upholstery.

Together, I suppose I have six machines that will handle about anything from drapery to upholstery in the home, auto, and marine.  One machine just will not do it all due to the variety of the work I do.

Some days in the shop, given certain projects with different colors, it isn't unusual to use three of the machines.  The change over time with thread and feet is not spent in those arrangements.

All said, these are all flat bed machines and there are times when post and cylinders would do it better, but at this point - do not have one of those.

If the business expanded to include larger scale canvas work, that would call for at least a few more thousand square feet to accommodate the equipment needed for that.

Equipment that I know Chris could put to work in the direction his business is going.

When is the bigger building going to be acquired Chris?

Doyle

Mike

February 16, 2015, 05:15:42 am #3 Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:52:52 pm by Mike
I love my old singer111 my first walker still rins sweet i like it better then the juki 563

Id never sell it

Btw i have a se ond spare 111 with no table were can i get a good deal on a table i have a clutch motor for it

Darren Henry

Chris. build an addition!!! and deep six that portable you started with that gave you so much trouble. GRIN.

June.
QuoteI'm a tool pack rat.  I'm one of those people who's collections you see at estate sales - the ones where you say "what was a marine upholsterer doing with a gear puller anyway?

Is there a chance that you and the one who claims to be my sister got swapped at the hospital? Sheila doesn't hang onto anything and only needs two tools---a butter knife and the heel of her shoe. I on the other hand have sheds full of ;my tools, Dad's tools,Grandpa's table saw and a few of his old tools scattered between 3 towns across 2 provinces.

Mike;
Quotewere can i get a good deal on a table

Make one. Quit laughing---I'm serious! I've always wanted to build a small light treadle table that would accept either my 111 or the boss's 226 Consew (same machine but with reverse) for on site repairs and quick/ small stitching rather than always having to run back to the shop. I almost bought an old domestic treadle---but couldn't bring myself to "cannibalize" it. I had also pondered hooking it up to a cordless drill somehow? If any of you  "McGivers" out there have a plan, I'd love a PM of the blueprint(s) BTW.

If you just want it for the shop---you can go wild and crazy. You could make it on a piece of 3/4 G1S plywood to sit on saw horses when in use and hang on the wall when not required. You could cut it (or at least it's spot) into your cutting table. How about knocking the corner out of a 4X8 sheet so you have some place to sit [attach the cut out behind you. WINK] and cut it in there with a router. Either way I'm sure Bob T and others can get you the hinges fairly cheap and there must be somebody that could weld you up a base.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

bobbin

If you can unload something you don't use all that much, but runs smoothly and reliably Then go for it! Be honest about its performance and offer nothing more.  I have several machines, some are "specialty" machines, and I fully understand the importance of floor space vs. regular use!

sofadoc

My first new machine was a Juki LU-562 back in 1982. I sewed on it for over 25 years, and loved it. Before that, I had never had anything but beat up old used junkers. Singer(s), Pfaff, Juki, and Consew. So when I got the 562, I thought I was in "Hog heaven".

But when the opportunity for a good deal on a used Juki LU 1508 came along a few years ago, I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I loved that 562, and considered it to be a loyal trusted friend. But my loyalty, and 79 cents will get you a cup of coffee.

So for me, it's no. There isn't any machinery or tools in my shop that I wouldn't part with because of a sentimental attachment.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

well I I sprang for a nw fancy machine I moved the singer to my home shop for good but I don't see me that long for continuing this to warrant a new machine when ive got 2 good working machines im used to so Darren id like to set up the other singer ive got id need a treadel and k legs so it would be easiers to just find a used table

gene

February 17, 2015, 06:16:32 am #8 Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:18:27 am by gene
I do notice that my sewing machines are happier when they are sewing upholstery weight fabrics, vinyl, or leather, rather than thinner fabrics. I can also tell that they are happy when they get new needles. I don't think this is a sentimental attachment. I think this is just me being nuts.

I do have a sentimental attachment to the first staple puller I ever had. I make it myself. It's a small screwdriver that I sharpened the end and I carved a wooden ring that slides over the handle to give me a lot more torque. I only used it for about a year until I bought my first commercially made staple puller. I would not want to get rid of it for love or money.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

I was quick to unload my "newtome" but still used Juki 562 when the opportunity presented itself.  I put the $600 toward the purchase of my Juki 1541.  Best move I've made in a l o n g time!  I have a lot of equipment that is directed toward clothing and drapery work and that makes it very versatile for me.  I may not use it every single day, but I still use it frequently enough for it to be valuable to my business. 

And I'm always on the hunt... anytime I see something for sale that fits a niche and is priced "right", I'm on it! and if that means a longtime resident in the stable has to go "bye-bye"... so be it!