Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:03:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Email Received (Agent of Walmart)

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, January 21, 2015, 06:40:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Received an email this morning on my bus email account.  Included a picture of a recliner and wanted to know if I could upholster them and for how much.  Said he was an "agent of Walmart and that they were relocating and needed the chairs reupholstered and for how much.  Then a bunch of other questions, did I accept credit cards or if I have used the Walmart or money gram payment system.

I replied back that I needed additional information: type of fabric, dimensions of chairs, number of chairs, etc. before I could provide an accurate quote.  My gut tells me that this is a scam trying to get my banking information.  Just wondered if anyone else has received this kind of email recently and what your experience was with it.

Thanks!

Virginia

gene

January 21, 2015, 07:50:15 am #1 Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:51:46 am by gene
QuoteMy gut tells me that this is a scam trying to get my banking information.  

My brain tells me that this is a scam.

Yes I've gotten emails like this and I never replied and I would never reply. My thought is that folks who reply are put on the "possible mark" list.

I find it interesting that your email did not flag this as possible spam.

From the poem Desiderata:

Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Why would a behemoth like Wally World pay an upholsterer to recover chairs when they can buy new ones for the absolute lowest price on the planet?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

January 21, 2015, 08:17:28 am #3 Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:04:09 am by Virgs Sew n Sew
It probably is a scam; however, I would not want to lose business if it is legitimate.

So, I treated the email as if it was authentic and requested more information.  If the individual presents more information, I will continue to treat it as legitimate.  I will not release bank information to them and I will require a down payment sufficient to cover materials and a portion of labor.

And yes, sofadoc, I questioned why Wally World would want to recover.  However, I have done repair work for "agents of Sam's Club" and it was on the up and up.

Virginia

P.S.  Should have also said that since Gene has received similar emails, this will be marked as spam.  My earlier comments were intended for any new emails.  That I would give that individual a chance until proven to be a scammer.

sofadoc

Actually, I once did do over 100 folding chairs for the employee break room at a local Wal-Mart.

They had the EXACT same chairs on the retail shelf for $2 less than what I charged them. They could've paid themselves full retail for the chairs, and still saved money.

mike802

It could be Walmart is trying desperately to win some good PR for itself.  I get these type of scams a lot and you can usually tell right off with poor English, spelling and grammar.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

sofadoc

January 21, 2015, 09:05:58 am #6 Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:10:06 am by sofadoc
Quote from: mike802 on January 21, 2015, 08:46:09 am
It could be Walmart is trying desperately to win some good PR for itself.
Or they're just using Wal-Mart's name to gain a little credibility.

I get these type of scams a lot and you can usually tell right off with poor English, spelling and grammar.
And he accidentally made out one big check that includes the courier's fee......so just pay the courier out of your pocket and keep the rest.

Oh, and  he's just checked into the hospital, so he won't be seeing you in person.

Virgs Sew n Sew

It could be Walmart is trying desperately to win some good PR for itself.  I get these type of scams a lot and you can usually tell right off with poor English, spelling and grammar.

I have had those.  This email had no punctuation errors, spelling was correct as was grammar.  That was why I responded.  I love those that claim to be representing some foreign king who has died and his heirs have no means of getting some ungodly amount of US currency in the US.  "We'll give you $52M if you only give us your bank account and routing number."  The English on those are always atrocious.  Even if it was legitimate, seems like would be breaking some kind of law.  I always get a chuckle out of those.  Haven't had one of those for 5 or 6 months.  We used to get them in the mail (before the internet came along).

Virginia

byhammerandhand

Has all the characteristics of a scam. 

• Pay the carrier.

• Deploying overseas and piece is in an Army base, which is why it has to be shipped to you.

• Moving to "your city"

• Gramma (sniff, sniff)  {I've been arrested, I've been mugged and lost my money, I've been mugged and lost my passport} and need money to {post bond, pay the hotel bill, etc.}  and get home.   Don't tell mom and dad.  I'll pay you when I get back. Wire $500.  Help me gramma! Sniff, sniff

Be aware that if you do the "money gram" or "prepaid credit card" that money is gone and irretrievable.

RUN AWAY!  or invite them to stop by the shop and discuss for a firm estimate and fabric selection.   Money says you'll never hear from them again.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison