Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:38:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

pilots seat blues.

Started by lizzieb, December 05, 2014, 11:32:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lizzieb

I am working on a pilot seat for a speed boat and have encountered a problem with wrinkles where the inside back meets the seat this is a curved area and I just can't seem to pull it out.  I have tried heating it but I can't seem to pull it out.  Any suggestions?

Darren Henry

Hi Lizzie; welcome aboard. Do you have the resources to post a couple of pics? Most of us use photobucket and there is a tutorial at the top of this page explaining the process.Quite painless really and often invaluable.

Is there a seam between inside back and inside arm? The seat is an independent insert piece, isn't it?

I and several others here have done some of these over the years---but June and Mike see the most of them down in Florida. They are our "go to" god(es)'s on these darlings.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

December 05, 2014, 08:51:22 pm #2 Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:52:54 pm by Mike
I havnt had this issue but I remember a tip from june, when cut the inside panel a bit short (skinny) so when it is installed it dosent do this wrinkle ,

are you using sewfoam or are these tuck n roll? this will greatly eliminate this happening

Darren Henry

I have been know to "cheat" and not stitch the inside arms to the inside back all the way down [okay---I had to rip the stitches out] . That way I could pull that excess material Mike is talking about past the seam line and then backstaple the arms and welts ( if applicable). Obviously, that only works if you have a solid frame to staple to.

You are working from the center out, right? Just checking.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!