Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 13, 2024, 01:21:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dennis. You OK ??

Started by Mojo, November 23, 2014, 06:20:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Thought of you right away when I heard Dallas had a 3.3 earthquake.

Hope your OK. Report in when you can.

Chris

sofadoc

It was on the other side of Dallas from me. About 75 mils away. I felt a rumbling, but it was just my stomach. It had been damn near an hour since my last meal.

3.3 is a pretty good shake. But that area is a lot of flat open land. Supposedly that area has had several quakes lately. Most people don't even realize when they're happening.   

A lot of people want to blame fracking by natural gas drillers.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Glad your OK Doc.

3.3 is a baby quake in CA, Tokyo, etc. But it is a heckuva shake in cities that do not have building codes designed around earthquakes. Buildings can experience significant damage from these small earthquakes if they were not built under tough codes. CA has some of the harshest building codes in the world but then your talking about Shake & Bake USA.

The jury is out on fracking. My personal opinion is that some day, maybe not in my lifetime, they will find that it was not a good idea as it changed the formation under ground and caused these earthquakes. I still would like to know what kind of chemicals they use.

How does one explain areas in the USA that have had small earthquakes that have never experienced them before and there are no known fault lines. And what can be found down the road from these areas ? Fracking wells. Coincidence ? Who knows. I am no scientist.

Chris

gene

November 24, 2014, 04:57:19 pm #3 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:57:57 pm by gene
Major fault line running down through St. Louis, Mo. And no, I'm not talking about Ferguson, MO.

SW Pennsylvania has so many mines dug under the ground that you can buy subsidence homeowner insurance in case your house collapses into the ground. I think the only way you could collect on that insurance is if you were not at home at the time of the collapse.

I've never read anything about the health hazards of fragging. LOL. Oops. A Freudian slip. I meant fracking.

QuoteHow does one explain areas in the USA that have had small earthquakes that have never experienced them before and there are no known fault lines.
It's George W. Bush's fault.   :)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

when I was a kid growing up in California we had a few good earthquakes, I remember waking up in my top bunk wuth the bed shaking and the hanging ladder going bang bang bang  along side the water in our above ground pool could be seen out the window splashing out and my mother was freaking out sliding down the doorcasing going oh my god.

Darren Henry

Okay---we get some snow and it can get chilly here; but we don't have earth quacks,tidal waves,hurricanes etc... and tornadoes are rare and usually quite small compared to those down in "Tornado alley". I'll stick to shoveling and having to plug the car in at night.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

November 25, 2014, 05:27:17 pm #6 Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:27:41 pm by Mike
WUSSIE!   :}

Darren Henry

November 30, 2014, 05:46:11 am #7 Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:58:46 am by Darren Henry
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/manitoba/brandon

Come up here and say that ! With your convertible down. LOL.

That's cool for November. We don't normally get this until late Dec. / Jan.

BTW---that is flipped over to F. Wind chill 36 below---YUCK!
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

November 30, 2014, 09:13:51 am #8 Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:16:18 am by Mike
I know Darren not fun that why I left some of my friends in new hampsire were without power to cook thanksgiving turkey Thursday for along time.   I was powerless a week oce at home everyone was hanging out at my shop that time for heat.

ps just for you

I just got home again

sofadoc

Mid 70's here today. I washed the car. And me and the missus took a ride in her Mustang convertible.........with the top down.

I'll take my chances with the occasional tornado any day. You guys can have that -9 stuff.

I did have a neighbor last year who had moved here from Minnesota. She was undergoing cancer treatment. After 1 spring in Texas, she was ready to go home. She said that she would rather deal with cancer than the violent storms.

On the other hand, my daughter has a friend who married and moved to Wisconsin. After 1 winter up there, she was divorced and back in Texas. She said it was the longest, most miserable winter of her life. And she blames the divorce completely on the Wisconsin winter.

I guess it all depends on what you're used to.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

Her nee busband should have moved to texas;)

byhammerandhand

When I lived in Wisconsin, there was always a surge in newborns in September and October.   Just saying.

Quote from: sofadoc on November 30, 2014, 11:01:49 am
... moved to Wisconsin. After 1 winter up there, she was divorced and back in Texas. She said it was the longest, most miserable winter of her life. And she blames the divorce completely on the Wisconsin winter.

Yesterday was "The Game" -- then annual end of season game between Ohio State and "That Team Up North" (Woody Hays refused to even say "Michigan")  Amongst the remembrances was the 1950 "Snow Bowl"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Bowl_%281950%29   I remember my family having some photos of the blizzard at home.   Before my dad died, my older sisters were talking to him and trying to remember what year I was born.   My dad finally said, "I know it was (August) 1951 because there was the November 1950 blizzard."   I can hear my sisters saying in unison, "Daaaaad!"

This might be TMI.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

December 01, 2014, 03:45:28 pm #12 Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:27:27 pm by Darren Henry
QuoteI'll take my chances with the occasional tornado

This morning I could have joined you; it was chilly. Weather channel said -28 C/ windchill feels like -38 when I got up. About sunrise the radio said -29 & -45 C. It made working outside this morning unpleasant.

I had to go pick up one of our rental campers that had been out for an event over the weekend because our last full time RV tech decided to quit and not tell the diaper. Loaded up his tools and left a note on the desk over the weekend. It being Monday, Murphy was the first on site. They had unplugged the shore power so the battery didn't have enough jam to draw the slide in. No big deal ,right---just hook up and the charge line from the truck should do the trick. And it did---after I went back to the shop (2 1/2 miles) for a farm jack as they had buggered the tongue jack. [Of course it was fully extended---this is my luck we are talking about]. Coles notes---remove jack,get frozen slide out in, haul 30 feet of camper 2 1/2 miles on very slippery streets that they hadn't sanded yet, replace jack, bag pop cans etc... left inside (at least I didn't have to worry about them spilling), drop it in 3" of snow on  slight slope.

I finished just in time for coffee, and I'm not acclimatised to this yet. I didn't know if I wanted to put my strudel in the toaster or just hop in LOL.

Mojo

Darren my friend...... Your getting older and old people go to Florida in the winter.

I think it is time you start spending your winters working down here. You can start
at Ed's place and then head to mine, then down to Mike's and then over to June's.
We have enough work to keep you busy. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

Don't laugh---I have often thought of that. This may be the year I break down and apply for a passport. It would be an expensive trip with my old motorhome. I'd have to line up a weeks worth of work every tank full.