Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:07:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Jute or synthetic webbing?

Started by bobbin, October 29, 2014, 02:15:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I rescued a very clean mid-century modern sofa a few weeks ago.  Original upholstery (nearly mint), I suspect a fully tied back and deck (1959-1965), a lovely slipcover, and two replaced deck cushions (done "on the cheap").  I got a price to re-upholster the piece ($900 labor), the guy uses jute webbing. 

Can you give me your opinion on synthetic webbing (what do you use for twine to tie springs?) and if you think it's important to spec. the synthetic for the job?

baileyuph

Jute webbing and twine for spring typing, is my preference

Doyle

MinUph

October 29, 2014, 06:16:07 pm #2 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:17:29 pm by MinUph
I used Jute webbing for 40+ years and recently been using the synthetic. I see no issues with the synthetics. They are thin and hold and strong. But I haven't seen a job after any period of time to really evaluate it properly. As for twine I use the white synthetic and have for many years. The old ruby just got to harsh and it was more expensive. The white stuff is easier on your hands and does a good job. I wouldn't spec what type of webbing to be used. Let the Upholsterer do his job the way he wishes. For $900.00 labor he should do a fine job. Do you have experience with him or her?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Either synthetic or jute is going to far outlast the fabric.

Some claim that synthetic will loosen up over time. I haven't noticed that.

When I tear down a 20+ year old sofa that has jute webbing and spring twine, it's usually rotten. With a synthetic job the same age, it usually isn't.

I prefer synthetic mainly for cost reasons. You get nearly 3X's as much synthetic webbing for the price of jute.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Either jute or synthetic will be fine. I've used both. Only issues with jute is long periods of humidity. But inside your house should be no problem.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I haven't hired the guy before.  I have done slipcovers in two homes where the owners have hired him.  His work looks good; two antique wing chairs (very curvy wings and backs), a Chippendale style sofa (camel back), and a Martha Washington chair.  In another home a couple of "club" type chairs.  His cushion work didn't bowl me over (you could see the stitching securing the welting to the plates at the corners) but I plan to make my own cushions for the piece. 

Do you guys charge more to match patterns?  I never do when I  make a slipcover, and wonder if that's customary.  He doesn't charge for COM as he doesn't sell fabric. 

SteveA

I use the one with the red stripe.  The only thing I can add is that when I do the webbing over it always seems that I have room for one or two extra strips that the last person didn't think necessary.
SA

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on October 30, 2014, 02:57:54 am
Do you guys charge more to match patterns?
I prefer to think of it as "charging less for a plain pattern".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

QuoteDo you guys charge more to match patterns?  I never do---

I bill by the hourly rate so in effect I do as it takes longer to match patterns. If I billed flat rate I would have to A) set my rate high enough to compensate---which would over charge the plain fabric orders or B) write off the extra time---which isn't fair to me. A surcharge or "plus what ever extra time it takes" would be the most fair IMHO.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

gene

There's a video on youtube where a guy uses synthetic webbing to cover the outside arms of sofas and chairs. He runs the webbing in a zig zag pattern, one continuous up/down/up/down, stapling while he gos. There are gaps between the webbing but not so big as to be noticeable. The main idea of webbing of any kind on the sides of furniture is to support the face fabric and so no one can kick through the face fabric. It's very fast. He then covers it with poly batting and puts on face fabric on.

I've done this and it does take a bit less time than cutting fabric scraps to cover the outside arms.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

I don't charge extra for pattern matching. It's just part of the job. I do enjoy when the fabric is plain though :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website