Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:30:36 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help me identify mystery die?

Started by Dede, October 15, 2014, 04:04:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dede

Customer sent me a photo from a huge haul o' button stuff.  This was part of it.  They're... hand sets, maybe?  For... ?

They would go in a Defiance machine, if they even goe in a machine.  Help?  What are they?
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

MinUph

Hard to tell from the small pic but they look like grommet dies.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

Don't know why the image is so small and I'm having trouble attaching a larger one.  See if you can view this:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5613/15359032299_aac03b2775_z.jpg
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

sofadoc

Ordinary grommet punch sets:

Sorry if my hands are in the way. I didn't have anyone to hold the camera.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

October 15, 2014, 07:08:31 pm #4 Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:09:55 pm by gene
Right click on the tiny picture and then click "View Image" and it will give you a big picture.

Paul is correct: grommet dies.

The top one is a complete set with the hollow tool used to punch a hole in the fabric, the phallic tool to be used with the metal round hockey puck type thingy to punch the two parts of the grommet together.

The lower box is missing the hollow tool.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Dede

Paul... THANK YOU!  You are the Instructional Video Master!  Thank you so much for setting that up!

Gene, I initially thought it was a grommet hand set, but the concave surface threw me off.  I mean, they're supposed to be shaped to accommodate the grommet, but they appeared a little too rounded.

Maybe it's just the angle of the camera?  Anyway, thank you both for your help.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

sofadoc

October 16, 2014, 06:12:33 am #6 Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:47:58 am by sofadoc
Quote from: Dede on October 16, 2014, 04:10:00 am
.......... but the concave surface threw me off.  I mean, they're supposed to be shaped to accommodate the grommet, but they appeared a little too rounded.
Maybe it's just the angle of the camera?
Your pic only shows the bottom side of the piece that Gene describes as a hockey puck (I think Gene only posted so he could work in the word "phallic").

Here is the top working surface:
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Dede

Quote from: sofadoc on October 16, 2014, 06:12:33 amYour pic only shows the bottom side of the piece that Gene describes as a hockey puck...

That's it!  Your photo is taken at a much better angle, plus the whole right-side up thing.

Quote(I think Gene only posted so he could work in the word "phallic").

Yes, because "phallic" is part of every good upholsterer's everyday vocabulary.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

byhammerandhand

Well I did notice he was quick to use the word, "phallic," but stumbled around the "metal round hockey puck type thingy"

Quote from: sofadoc on October 16, 2014, 06:12:33 am

Your pic only shows the bottom side of the piece that Gene describes as a hockey puck (I think Gene only posted so he could work in the word "phallic").

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Am I sensing a bit of "grommet die" envy?  :)

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!