Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 10:56:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

recovering a 1960's tub chair

Started by Mitch, October 01, 2014, 09:02:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch

I am recovering a tub chair with an inside back that is tufted. My problem is the pattern for the tufting. This is the second time this chair is being recovered and the first re upholstery attempt was terrible,  the fabric wasn't placed tight enough and they did not put the original amount of buttons on the back. Was hoping someone might know where I can get a pattern or even tell me the correct amount of buttons, it would be a place for me to start.
Thank you for your time,
Linette

kodydog

October 01, 2014, 10:27:07 am #1 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:46:11 am by kodydog
Hi Linette, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if there is a set pattern placement or number of buttons to go into a tub chair. I guess you've already checked to see if the old padding with the original button placement is still under the fabric. Another thing you can check is, if you can find where the original buttons pulled through it probably left a mark or hole or something. This could give you some ideas where to start.

If the last upholsterer did that sloppy of a job he probably didn't replace the padding or the burlap that holds everything in place.

It would help to tell us a little about yourself as far as your skill level go's. How long have you been upholstering? Do you have experience in tufting? Have you ever upholstered a tub or barrow chair before? (they can be tricky) etc.

A picture will be necessary which means learning Photobucket. We can walk you through it.

Good luck.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Yes a picture would help. But like Kody said you won't find a pattern or set. You might find a picture online of a chair like it if you search enough.Tufting an inside curved area is a challenge for the most experienced.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mitch

I have tried to send pictures and I cannot.  Don't understand but will keep trying.

kodydog

October 07, 2014, 08:04:01 pm #4 Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:04:44 pm by kodydog
Are you using Photobucket? The creator of this forum decided in order to save valuable storage space to make photos accessible only through an off site service like Photobucket. They store all the photos and give you an IMG thumb to post on your reply. If you've never used it before it can be a challenge. We can walk you through it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

There is a great "sticky" thread at the top of this forum about posting pics using Photo Bucket. 

I used to be a main frame programmer back in my day but confess to being horribly technologically incompetent with just about anything to do with pc's, file sharing, etc.  Having said that, I read the sticky and with very little problems was able to set up a PB account and now post pics on here with the best of them. 

I don't remember who authored that particular thread but my thanks to them.  I'd still be fumbling in the dark were it not for those fabulous instructions!

Virginia