Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 08:29:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Not Looking Good for Carly

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, September 15, 2014, 01:42:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgs Sew n Sew

Last week things seemed to have resolved themselves favorably for Carly.  She started straining a little on Saturday, worse on Sunday.  This morning around 3 AM Jimmy came flying into the bedroom -- he is such a tattle tail.  I grabbed slippers, robe and glasses and was not surprised to find that Carly had pooped.  Not a lot but it was looser than it has been.  I cleaned it up and ran them outside.  Jimmy was pleased to show me that it hadn't been him who pooped.  He's a funny dog.  Anyway, she strained a time or two so I hung outside with them for 15-20 minutes.  I had no sooner gotten back in bed and situated when I heard Carly (hardwood floors in the hallway) trucking down the hall.  I hoped she was going for a drink of water and thought so because the tattle tail didn't come flying back in the bedroom.  Got up at 6 with the alarm and she had pooped again, just a tiny bit like she still hadn't gotten everything out.

So, called the vet this morning and talked to one of her assistants.  She did really well on the last med so they are trying that again for 5 days.  When I went in to pick up her script, I asked what our options would be if Carly continues to have issues once this script wears off.  Deb said that the Vet would probably want to put her under and run a scope through her to see what they could find.  Bob and I have talked about that before and we talked about it again when I got home.  We both agree that on a 12 year old dog that is just not money well spent.  Whatever they would find would probably require surgery and that's not a viable option.  I think it would be a hard recovery at her age and the longevity would be questionable.

We are crossing our fingers and toes and hoping that this last script will do the script but I think we are both realistic enough that we don't think it will "fix" her but I want to give her every chance.  She's just really a sweet, loyal, lovable dog.

Darren Henry

I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you ask Deb about the blood work the 'Doc had mentioned and you and Bob had considered?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

Awwww.  Sorry to hear she's not 100%.  Hopefully the meds will fix her up.  I have to agree with you though in not putting her through tests if there's no point in putting her through surgery.  If the test shows nothing you're no-where.  If it does show something, what's the solution?  In these parts, exploratory surgery on a medium sized dog runs anywhere from 5 to 7 grand.  As much as I love my dogs, that's not an option but we pet owners know it's a tough call. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

kodydog

September 16, 2014, 06:52:54 am #3 Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 06:53:59 am by kodydog
Sorry to here about Carly. Times like these we have to think about their quality of life.

We had a German Shepard that toward the end was having problems. We left him overnight at the University of Florida for tests. He was not a happy dog and when we picked him up I told my wife we'll not do that again. We both loved that dog.

We gotta let them die with dignity.

Best wishes for Carly.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

September 16, 2014, 06:59:35 am #4 Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:00:48 am by Mike
Sorry to hear this Virginia I just want to get the same thing with my GIgi back in March she looks fine but for a loose stool so to give that they can put her over the weekend and by Tuesday I have a make the decision to put her down it was a very tough thing to do

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on September 15, 2014, 05:14:35 pm
I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you ask Deb about the blood work the 'Doc had mentioned and you and Bob had considered?

Yup, we did those tests.  Liver, heart, kidneys are all perfect.  "Doc" said that if she hadn't known better, she would have thought the blood work belonged to a much younger dog.

She's good today because she's got the meds running through her.  She'll have the last packet on Friday and if it goes like last time, the first to the middle of the week, things will be going downhill.

If she wasn't so otherwise healthy, this would not be such a hard row to hoe.

Anyhoo, right now she's happy and content.  We can only wait and see what the next days bring.  Still hoping for our miracle for her.

Virginia

Mojo

12 years is a long time for most large breed dogs. We have a rule we always go by with our animals, once they show signs of discomfort or if the cost from the vet is going to be astronomical then we make the decision to euthanize.

I will never allow one of my dogs to linger in pain or discomfort. Unfortunately for you it sounds like Carly is really not uncomfortable or in pain. This creates a tough decision for you. How do you euthanize an otherwise healthy / happy dog ?

Either way, you can be appreciative of the many happy years you have had with Carly.
I am hoping for the best.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Mojo on September 16, 2014, 06:47:00 pm
Unfortunately for you it sounds like Carly is really not uncomfortable or in pain. This creates a tough decision for you. How do you euthanize an otherwise healthy / happy dog ?

Either way, you can be appreciative of the many happy years you have had with Carly.
I am hoping for the best.

Chris

You have summed up the problem perfectly.  Once she starts straining, I worry about her being in pain but other than when having bowel movements, she is perfectly healthy and incredibly happy.  I swear she almost skips when we go out in the yard.  Such a funny girl.

Bob & I are reminding ourselves of how much love/enjoyment she has given us.  These dogs, along with their litter mates, were dumped on a county road in Kansas (we still lived in Leavenworth then).  We have always been amazed at how easily they learned to love us.  The male had a little harder time trusting Bob & other men as well but they have been very loving and loyal little creatures.  We are also aware that she has very much had such a better life than I'm sure she expected after her rough start.

It's just really going to suck when we have to do this.  I'm sure Jimmy is going to be lost, Sew & Sew won't be quite as cozy without her hanging down here with me (Jimmy just doesn't like it down here as his recliner is in the Living Room).  It will be a while before we're ready to look at puppies I think.  Winter coming is just not a great time to housebreak plus there will be lots of puppy proofing to do.  These guys are just so good about respecting property.  We have lots of things stored on "their level" that will have to be assigned new locations until the teething/chewing time is past.

Virginia

Mojo

I don't envy your decision. We lost Tessa two years ago. She was my baby and was 12 years old. Her back and hips went on her. She did every chemo run with me, laying in bed warming me when I got hit with the chill's and just plain cuddling to me when I had the chemo flu. I have never owned a dog so in tune to how i was feeling like she was. She also was super intelligent.

We replaced her right away with Taz. She was an amazing black shepherd, awesome bloodlines and smart as heck. Unfortunately we had her put down at age 2 1/2 due to bone cancer. That was just a few months ago.

We immediately went out and got Miyah, a black GSD. This time we went for show / family lines instead of working lines. Miyah is a real mellow GSD and is going to be huge for a female. Her confirmation is awesome. She is going to be one awesome dog. I swore I would never get back into breeding GSD's but will probably breed her once to an all black male when she gets over 2 yrs old. Our big male has been spayed otherwise we would breed them two.

Non dog/cat people can never understand how owners such as ourselves get so attached to these animals. They become a member of our family and are a part of our daily lives.

You know the old saying - " The more I know about people....the more I love my dogs "......:)

Chris

Mike

back in march my little girl GiGI had a loose stoole so I took her to the vet and the test they look ok then aftwr a few days she had a loose stool again so still acting here normal self I took her back and they wanted to keep her overnight to see if here number inprove giving here fluids, well they got worse they said and wanted to keep her onemore well I had seen here but they said she aleart and wagging her tail. so I thought ok. well they said the next day her outcome dotn look well for her kidneys and I should think about wht to do well I hadn't seen here but from what they said had come to the cdesicion that rther then go get here as planned maybe she should be put down instead. man that was hard to decide  but once I saw her walk into the room she didn't look like she felt well at all. I get broke up just thinking about it .  but now ive got 2 bichon pups well there big now AT 10 months that greet me at the door and sleep in my room . chriss wasn't
Miyah in that trash vedio? that was so funny