Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:53:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Does anyone have 24L snap die for their button machine?

Started by Dede, August 22, 2014, 06:17:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dede

Just finished prototypes for rhinestone cap dies -- not sure I got it right and am desperate for a couple of testers.  I sized the die to fit the following machines:

Wade
Osborne
Defiance
C&C Metal
Dyna Line

...but if you have a Handy 24L snap die, I can modify one for you.  You MUST already have a 24L (#24) snap die.

Rhinestone caps can be used in place of regular snap caps (they're really pretty)...

I will send you a 24L rhinestone die + rhinestone caps (and snaps if you need them).  Please contact me if you're interested.

sales @ workroombuttons . com [remove spaces]

THANK YOU!
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Dede

Some folks here don't know me, so... I distribute and manufacture covered button components and machinery:  www.workroombuttons.com  I've been a member here since 2004 although I haven't been too active lately.

I need a couple of testers to try out this rhinestone snap setting die.  It works with existing 24L snap dies.  It works fine, I mean... it sets rhinestone snaps the way it was designed to do, but I think it needs some tweaking.  Try it, tell me what you think, and keep the die when it's all over.

You can see the rhinestones here:  www.workroombuttons.com/24-Rhinestone_p_23.html

Cheryl at Cheryl's Custom Upholstery used the snaps on a slipcover right after we got them in -- she used her Pres-N-Snap because the die wasn't ready.  It's hard to tell from the picture, but the rhinestones really sparkle:

If you're interested, or have any questions, please let me know.  Thanks!
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

sofadoc

This is intriguing to me. I'm getting a lot of customers now that furnish their own rhinestone-type adornments for button tufting. I'm sure they would like to have the option to use them in place of nailheads as well.

The only snap-setting dies that I currently have, are the ones that fit on the end of an ordinary pair of vise-grips. And I also have the little set that you strike with a hammer. Does your die only work with the Press-N-Snap tool?

I'm thinking about doing up a small sample piece of furniture with them. If I order 100, can you mix the colors so that I will have a sample of every color?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Hey DeDe,
  Remember me fro Carrs Corner? You sent me a set of 30s and they work fine. I have the press and snap tool with dies for normal snaps the size used on boat canvas and such I don't know the sizes they are called. If these work I'd be happy to give them a try for you.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

Quote from: sofadoc on August 23, 2014, 06:19:51 am
This is intriguing to me. I'm getting a lot of customers now that furnish their own rhinestone-type adornments for button tufting. I'm sure they would like to have the option to use them in place of nailheads as well.

If you use screw-type studs on the actual piece, you can make a removable rhinestone tufted cover.  I have a slipcover background so that's what I had in mind when I started this.  There are other applications, but I'm a little skewed toward slipcovers.

Cheryl fitted a little piece of leather into her Pres-N-Snap socket die (you have to cushion the acrylic or it will crack).  Might work (might not) with your vise-grips and now I'm wondering if the rhinestone dies might work with a hammer set.  Want to try?  You'll need to brace the die somehow, I think.  Let me know if you're interested.

Do I have your address?  Can't remember...  I can definitely mix colors for you, but let me send some samples first.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Dede

Quote from: MinUph on August 23, 2014, 09:18:31 am
Hey DeDe,
  Remember me fro Carrs Corner? You sent me a set of 30s and they work fine. I have the press and snap tool with dies for normal snaps the size used on boat canvas and such I don't know the sizes they are called. If these work I'd be happy to give them a try for you.

Hey, Paul.   So glad that die worked out.  Yes, you have a #24 (aka 24L) snap set -- sometimes called "Durable" or "Durable Dot" snaps.  Do you know what brand machine you have?

If you're still in Spring Hill, I have your address.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

MinUph

I have a Hover Products Press-N-Snap. I guess the model # would be 051188 which kinda looks like a manufacture date so it might not be the model. Were still at the same place in Spring Hill. Great to chat with you again.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

Paul, the die won't fit your Pres-N-Snap so you'll have to jury rig something like Cheryl did with hers to set them.  I use a very dense felt disc inside my dies.  I'll send you one to try if you want but it might take too much space in your die although it does compress a little.  You also might not want to gum up your die with the adhesive -- it's pretty strong.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

MinUph

As long as I can wash off the adhesive with thinner I'll be fine trying it. If it works I could always pick up another set for them.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Dede

Samples are in the mail, gentlemen!  (I do have your address, Dennis - forgot I did).  Thank you so much.  This is an enormous help and I'm very grateful.

If anyone else would like to volunteer, please let me know.  Thanks!
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Dede

Dennis, sent a message to your gmail account... (concerns delivery)
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

sofadoc

August 28, 2014, 02:10:55 pm #11 Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:35:53 pm by sofadoc
Dede:
I got your package.

The rhinestone caps work fine in my vise-grip dies with no damage to the surface. I e-mailed you a video of my attempt to use the special die you sent me.

I'll probably be able to press the snaps using my vise-grip dies with no trouble. If you want, send me an address, and I'll forward your special die to someone else.

Thanks for the sample caps. I'll offer the option to my customers, and hopefully have an order for you in the near future.

Here is a demo using the vise-grips, and an old ottoman:

Dennis
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Dede

Thanks so much, Dennis!  Did I send you a felt pad for your vise-grips?  I know I sent one to Paul for his Pres-N-Snap.  If not, I certainly can now if you'd like to try one.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

MinUph

I got the package Dede, Will be trying it out over the week end. I will post my findings. Yes you did send the pads too. Thanks
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

Kool!  I wonder if any boat owners would like some bling on their canvas?  :D  Truly, most would not, but in Miami, who knows!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields