Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:33:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

suppliers

Started by chrisberry12, August 14, 2014, 02:06:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisberry12

I am looking for a new supplier. Mine has messed up my last three orders for the current job I am working on. All orders were over nighted and they sent the wrong product every time.  for a ton of money and very little in the way of helping me out. the first orders I did via e-mail so I would have a copy of the order, still screwed the orders up so then I called it in and really messed it up. I would like to find a REAL wholesaler!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have used these guys for years and the owners used to run the routes themselves... What Happened Albany!!!

Mojo

Chris:

This isn't Miami I hope.......

Chris

MinUph

Sounds like it might be Albany Supply.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jojo

I like Manart, but you can't order online.

bobbin

I use:
1.)  Bainbridge International (on-line catalogue is so-so; but the guys are very helpful and knowledgeable).
2.)  Tri-Vantage  (on-line catalogue is very slow, but on-line ordering is pretty easy; a little too "corpy" for me. though)
3.)  Rowley  (good on-line set up; don't use them too much generally) 
4.)  D&M Distributors (very convenient for me and they're always so helpful)
5.)  Challenge (very occasionally)

sofadoc

I try not to get too terribly passionate about any supplier in particular. They're all only as good as their last order. If I were to give one of them a ringing endorsement to you guys, they would screw up your first order right out of the gate.

We're all small-timers here. None of the suppliers is going to lose any sleep over losing any of our business. I'm sure that if asked, they would vehemently assert that they cherish each and every one of us. But I kinda doubt it.

I've voiced my displeasure with a few places. I'm sure the person that I chewed out over the phone just went home that evening, and vented to their family about "the A-hole they had to deal with today".

I miss the old days when a salesman called on you monthly. It was tougher to fake sincerity face-to-face.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I don't disagree with any of that, Sofa.. And I'm really glad I'm "small enough" that none of the reps.  have ever just showed up, unannounced, at my shop!  (None of the reps. I've ever met have ever bothered to tell you when they'd be in the area, they've always just presumed you be in your shop and "showed up", never once thinking that an app't. might be more productive!). 

My father was a salesman (plumbing and heating supplies) and he had a regular schedule.  He visited his customers once weekly in person and was always available by 'phone during the week.  He believed in schedules and would never have dreampt of "showing up unannounced", because doing so interrupted people and was, in his way of thinking, insulting.  And presumptuous!

Mike

Quote from: bobbin on August 16, 2014, 09:27:20 am
I use:

4.)  D&M Distributors (very convenient for me and they're always so helpful)

bobbin if you talk to peter Morrison at d&m tell him mike said hello great guy. I used to use them allot in NH in fact in the mid 90s UPS went on strike for a few weeks and peter personaly drove deleveries to me strapped bimini tubing to his roof.

MinUph

I guess I'm lucky seeing that my main supply house is in the same building as the shop. No delivery charges :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

chrisberry12

Albany foam and supply has sale rep that calls when he is going to be in your area and if you are in their own delivery zone will deliver your supplies free of delivery charges in their truck. Also Vincent Manufacturing in Little Falls, NY will also call on you when they are coming to your area.mi highly recommend both of these companies. Every company has their quirks. I just wish wholesale was really wholesale.

sofadoc

Two different supply trucks that have delivered free to my shop for over 20 years have both crapped out on me at the same time. Both have unceremoniously parted ways with their driver, and neither has any intentions of replacing them any time soon.

I still have one supplier who comes twice a year. He leaves me enough supplies to last 6 months. I don't have to pay him until I'm ready to. But he doesn't carry foam and batting.

I have several out-of-state foam/batting suppliers. But they shrink the batting down for shipping, and the wrinkles never fully come out.

So as far as batting goes right now, I find myself "between a rock and a hard place".
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Without a doubt the smaller suppliers, maybe all, are finding it tough in business.  I don't buy near the amount of supplies as did in the past.  Gosh, all the retail outlets and their sales (in spite of much of their fabrics are not my favorite), so many buy on price and become Com customers to me.  It isn't usually my favorite business but, heck I go ahead and do it, can't educate customers easily.

Few years ago, we had probably three sizable wholesalers locally but not even one now.  Actually wholesale isn't wholesale anymore is one way to put it.

The freight has become a factor, put it all together and easier to understand why consumers buy cheap foreign made junk.  What I mean by junk is usually it doesn't last.

Foam in particular is usually something harder to find in quality.

Doyle

Mike

2 main suppliers I work with both have a terminal in Miami and when my office didn't have a item they shipped it from there Miami branch well ups saw port ( charlotte) I the and sent it to Carolina . well my next order was from the other company and the same thing happened it went out of Miami and ups sent it to Carolina

baileyuph

The supply sector for most of us type is and has changed to a degree.  We used to have three or four salesmen come by periodically but that is almost a thing of the past.  There is one company we deal with that when they can come in the truck will deliver - freight free (they say) and do carry some stock items that can be bought off the truck.  Sure comes in handy when they do come and have what is needed.  But, don't know how long that can be continued. 

Several factors rolled up in our traditional supply channels, less upholstery is being done, custom is my point.  More internet sales which frames us custom people using more COM.  It is almost a surprise to consumers that shops can provide materials or they are in a frame of mind that if they don't buy off the internet, they pay too much.  As a point, that applies to a lot of items.  we did three or four motor cycle seats this past week and every one of the customers bought the seat upholstery off the internet.  Interesting thing about it too - is real cheap with freight included.  Most were of decent quality and they fit fine - Off shore stuff, it was assured.  One question in my mind is when they stamp or use a vendor's logo, for example Honda, do they have approval and pay the logo owner a fee (the foreign companies the question relates to)?  Just wondering if they work around that somehow?  If we try to use a company trademark on something we fabricate without their approval, it could lead to trouble fast.

Back to the issue of suppliers, well little operators are using fewer and it is getting harder to compete with the bigger suppliers.  Is there much of anything we buy that is actually "wholesale"?  Perhaps small business no longer buys sufficient quantity to justify wholesale??  Too bad if so.  Oh well, just make sure your labor rates cover the situation, it does take time to sell.

Doyle

Dede

If wholesale suppliers don't want to cater to small businesses, then what is their target customer base?  Is there really enough large scale manufacturing left in the USA to accommodate all of them?  Not a rhetorical question; I'm genuinely curious.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com