Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:56:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

forum

Started by chrisberry12, August 05, 2014, 08:41:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisberry12

to all my fellow upholsterers and all people in the fabric, threads and such. If this forum disappears PLEASE NO, but if it does we should open a page on Facebook???? what are your thoughts???

Chris

papasage

there are a few on face book from another site like this 
just recovering 40 years

sofadoc

I'm not sure if this link will work, since it is a closed group. But here is a FB group that some of us here already belong to:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/344139459006836/

You will have to ask to join, and then wait for approval. They verify that you are a professional before approving your request.

All of these upholstery-related forums and FB groups combined don't have as much participation as this forum alone had 5 years ago. There is just too much alternative social media for people to choose from now.

Hopefully, whoever buys this website will keep the forum going. But of course, there are no guarantees.

I've tried to encourage people in the trade that I know to visit this forum. To my knowledge, none of them ever have.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Not a fan of FB in general but if I have to... well, I prolly will.  (sigh)

sofadoc

Here is another FB group called "Upholstery Talk".
https://www.facebook.com/groups/204031966402401/

Again.......not sure if this link will work since it is also a closed group.

I visit this one occasionally, but I've never posted any comments. It's a little more auto/marine intensive.

I prefer discussion boards like this one to FB groups. All too often, FB just becomes a platform for upholsterers to show off their work. There isn't as much sharing of techniques and information as I would like to see.

And all that silly "liking" and "friending" seems too much like passing notes in high school.

jojo

I will admit to being active on facebook...if you can't beat em, join em, right? I just joined both of the groups suggested by sofadoc. (Thanks sofadoc!)
It is much, much easier to post a picture in facebook; there's no third party website involved. You just upload a picture directly from your phone or hard drive to facebook.
Aside from that, the other thing I like about facebook is that I can keep in touch with family members across the country, and watch their kids/grandkids grow up!

sofadoc

Quote from: jojo on August 09, 2014, 05:38:17 am
It is much, much easier to post a picture in facebook; there's no third party website involved.
True........but one thing you CAN'T do, is what I just did.

You can't cite a quote from a previous comment, and respond to it.

And it's much more difficult to search previous posts for pics or info that you want to take another look at.

But I'll agree. FB is great for keeping up with family, or reconnecting with old friends.

I just hate when so many of them use FB as a vehicle to star in their own movie.

jojo

Or the selfie thing. Ugh. I know some of the most narcissistic people on earth. And I never would have known they were like that were it not for facebook.

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

This discussion board has 10,000 members. But realistically, less than 50 of us actively participate.

The 2 FB upholstery groups that I mentioned each have around 400 members. And a MUCH higher percentage of them are fairly active.

This board had 3041 new posts from Jan-July of this year. That's down from 3810 for the same 6 months in 2013. And WAY down from 5625 for Jan-July of 2012.

Either more upholsterers are going to Facebook, or there are just fewer upholsterers.

When I think back to my days as a kid trying to learn the family upholstery business, a discussion board like this one would've been life-altering.

Kody: I like the left side of that selfie. But the right side is somewhat disturbing. ;)

jojo

See now, sofa, I'd have given that comment a "thumbs up" on facebook. But here I just have to tell you that I lol'd.
Kody, I'm talking about people who post 3 or 4 selfies a day (and no, I'm not exaggerating) everyday.

sofadoc

August 09, 2014, 08:27:44 am #11 Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 10:31:15 am by sofadoc
Hey. Nothing wrong with the selfie (unless you look like me or Kody).

I'm mainly talking about the ones who seem to think that we all need to be updated every time they take out the garbage.

Or they use their FB/Twitter/Instagram (pick one, or all 3) to incite heated religious/political arguments. Or they go on a rant that is REALLY a subliminal message to someone that they want to "tell off", but don't have the guts to do it to their face.

It's a shame that when all this new technology (computer, smart phone, etc.) was suddenly thrust upon us in the last 20 years, there was no requirement that we had to learn how to use it responsibly. It's like tossing a set of keys to a teenager without teaching them how to drive first.

While we're doing selfies.........can anybody guess where I was recently?