Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 11:15:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Patience finally paying off

Started by sofadoc, June 28, 2014, 07:00:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I've been doing work for a fixtures company for about 8 years.

Usually some type of padded bench seat for various applications. Such as dressing rooms, shoeshine stands, and children's play areas in retail stores. 

The jobs have always been small. They always had an immediate deadline. There was never much profit involved, and they always took over 60 days to pay.
And since they were only a few miles away, it always made more sense for me to deliver the items personally rather than to package and ship them.

I always had the feeling that I was merely doing their prototypes, and once they went into full-scale production with the finished product, the job went to someone else.

Well all of a sudden, the purchase orders are rolling for some fairly decent quantities. And the profit margins are pretty good on them. They are giving me plenty of "lead time", and I'm also getting quite a bit of personal furniture work from some of the managers and engineers that work there.

And I started tipping the guy at the receiving dock 10 bucks to hand-deliver my invoice straight to their accounting dept. I'm getting paid within the month now.

Several times over the last 8 years, I was tempted to tell them that I was no longer interested in doing their piddly little jobs. Now, I'm glad that I was patient with them.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Sounds great. Congratulations.  You never know what is around the corner. Your good work and perseverance has paid dividends.  All smiles for ya!
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

Cool! 8 years hey? Sounds like some ody else retired

bobbin

Some of the best seed takes considerable time to germinate.  I'm delighted your "investment" is beginning to return dividends.  Yay!

Mojo

Congrats Dennis. You deserve all that business just for hanging in as long as you did.

Chris