Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:00:32 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Patterning an Over-the-Windshield Cover

Started by jojo, June 19, 2014, 10:35:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,
Small bowrider with rounded (as opposed to sharp corners) windshield. As weird as it sounds, I've never done this before. How do you pattern the windshield?
Also, informal poll: do you guys use the fabric to pattern or paper/plastic?

Mike

June 19, 2014, 02:10:08 pm #1 Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:11:02 pm by Mike
well I don't see many cover like this  but now I usualy use plastic and pattern the glass and then the top window frame back. with alingnment marks. when I sterted I always wit with the canvas I snapped the front center and the rear center usibg fit pins I secure the bottom of the glass laying the canvas flat against the glass and ran it as far as 60" canvas made it arounf the side there I marked a straight seam line up to the top of the glass and then marked the top across the front on both sides. I cut up and across this line andpin the rear corners of the canvas at the back of the boat then pulled the canvas taunt at the top ot the glass and held the seam with clamt marking the top seam on the rear piece of canvas then the seam is sewn with reinforcement and wala!

jojo

June 20, 2014, 05:09:46 am #2 Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:22:41 am by jojo
Thanks Mike. Plastic seems like a good idea for this boat; it's really small. So the seam that runs along the center of the cover should also extend to the windshield piece too, right? or do you put your seams to follow the glass separation?

Mike

well patterning in plastic I will . you usualy cant make the window  piece without a seam so ill make it match the maincenter seam.