Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:26:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Custom marine bedding

Started by bobbin, June 18, 2014, 01:58:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Today was my day to play around with custom bedding.  Nothing fancy, just bottom sheets cut and shaped for V berths.  I made 4 of them.  I had the patterns for the V  berths and worked from those (do any of you work from just measurements?).  The real challenge was getting reacquainted with my overlock machine!  I don't think I've used the safety stitch in well over 20 yrs. and I had to use the manual to thread it up (lol).  Also, my 50+ yr. old eyes no longer see the eye on the ss looper as readily as I once did... .  Could those of you who make bedding chime in on how long it takes you to crank out a fitted sheet for a V berth arrangement?

Mike

O e pro a lymbeen asked twice if i do ya ht beddi g or curtians.
I dont want to learn. I dont know it i could decently see somthi g so light with my 111w.

bobbin

That would be a tough marriage of fabric and machinery, Mike.  I watched Boss turn down bedding requests a lot over the years and never really gave it much thought.  I did a few but it was hard with walking foot machines designed for heavier work.  It wasn't until I reunited with a friend in the trade and he saw my "clothing" machinery that he mentioned custom bedding.  I have the perfect machinery for it, but I'm still struggling with pricing it.

I am embarrassed by the time it requires.  It seems as thought it shouldn't be so pricey, but it is custom and it takes the time it takes, so maybe that ought to be the driver.  dunno.  I just feel weird about the final price of the bed sheet. 

Grebo

Haven't done a V berth in a while.
Just done a aft cabin, Jeaneau sun odyssey DS 42. Well actually just twin mattress protectors.
I use off the peg sheets, make a pattern or put one on & mark it up.  Then cut to shape & overlocker the sides back on.
1 hour for the two.
As you said, it is bespoke. I charge the cost of the sheets + a bit & time.

I did price up all the materials for making them from scratch, but it just doesn't make sence. If I buy a ready made protector sheet all the bits are there.

I luv my overlocker, makes such a nice clean pro finish.

Suzi

bobbin

June 18, 2014, 04:10:27 pm #4 Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:15:13 am by bobbin
Grebo, when you are called to a boat, do you make a pattern or do you just take basic measurements and go from those?

I've been fortunate that the people who asked for custom fitted sheets were former customers and I had their patterns in my shop; but I'm not quite sure how to handle those who call and for whom I lack patterns.  One of the customers whose work I did today had a very irregular V berth arrangement (port and starboard differed radically) and I was thankful for the pattern.  I cut on the double, and cut the biggest side first, then I went back and cut the smaller side down as required.  I was wondering if I'd be successful with just measurements... (still wondering).  

I agree, I love my overlock machine! I mostly use it with 3 threads (serge, overlock stitch) but today I threaded it up with the safety stitch and it ran like a champ.  I need to play with the tensions and the stitch length, but I realized what a really, really nice machine I own.  And "oldie but a goodie"!  I'm coming in at just about 2 hrs. for a fully fitted sheet for a V  berth and I'm struggling to come up with a way to cut my time.  I'm about as tight as bark on a tree and so I view a lot of my work with an eagle to "value" and custom bedding seems "too dear" to appeal to a wider audience... but perhaps I sell my skills short!

Mike

bobbin I never save patterns takes up to much space even when I had space

Grebo

Quick measure up for a price, then go back to pattern or if they say just go ahead pattern on the spot.

I haven't come across one boat bed that's been 100% square/rectangle, I have found even the bigger yachts have some kind of shape to them, pattern is safest. IMOP.
I had one customer who wanted a mattress topper & protector to fit, I took the pattern while they were away & delivered them when they came back, they then asked for two more ( different bed ) & made the pattern them selves.

I agree it does seem expensive sometimes, but give the customer the price then it's up to them.

I quite like a bit of 'lighter' work from time to time.

The only patterns I keep are the more 'standard' hatch covers, couldn't possibly keep them all.

Suzi