Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:34:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

First enclosure using Stamoid

Started by Old sailmaker, June 11, 2014, 05:23:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Old sailmaker

Hey all, starting a 10 panel enclosure friday using stamoid for the first time on a 32 Alby express. 40 ga cc20-20 and my favorite thread to hate tenera. Any tips or do's, donts with the stamoid? Looks like it will actually be easier to work with than the sunbrella i have been using lately. Thanks folks :-\

JuneC

I always liked working with Stamoid.  Only complaint I ever got from customers was that the facings held water and grew green algae - and they do.  I've seen facings blow up like a balloon when it rains and the water is very slow to drain.  This also leaves green stains on the side of the boat. 

So... on your facings, near the bottom, wherever that may be, use your canvas hole puncher and put in a drain hole - only on the facing, of course.  Stamoid, thankfully, doesn't fray so this solution works just fine.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

Be aware of the facing you get. There's been an issue with the glue. It's yellow and sometimes is too heavy and makes the white look yellow. Other than that it's great to work with.
Regal Canvas

bobbin

The other issue is seam sealing tape... when it heats up it tends to bleed and the goo attracts all matter of grossness.  Make sure you put the tape well under the edge to keep the goo away.

I like working with it, too.  Great fabric.  I had forgotten about the water logged facings, lol.

Old sailmaker

Sweet , thanx for those tips! Looks to be a fun job. I noticed the old curtains have like 3 or 4" facings on each side of the verticle zippers making really wide blockage in line of sight. I was using 2" on each side and have since moved to 3/4. Pretty much the width of the zipper. Thanks again folks!

Mike

After having trouble buy faci g or not havi g all the colors i just make my own. I like a 1" verticle cacing so with 2 windows together its only a 2" veiw obstoction.

It take longer having to cut 3" strip and 3 passes seeing it on. 

Old sailmaker

Sounds good Mike, that wide really upstructs your view quite a bit when running the boat also. I have also started using just 3/4 or 1 in on the verticle zippers as well. Did my first three panel windshield, also on an alby with no seams or zippers by request of the owner. Templating was kinda tough and it turned out really well and visibility out the front was improved a lot. I also cut down the size of the "u" zipper but wasnt real happy with that part of it. He was happy though so i guess thats what counts, lol.

Mojo

I have no comment on the stamoid. never worked with it.

I just wanted to say Good Luck with the Tenara............LOL......:) That stuff has made more then
one stitcher cuss and swear. I think it would make the Pope cuss.

I love my Solarfix........Never an issue......ever......:) You may want to use up your Tenara and make the switch to Solarfix.

Chris

Old sailmaker

Hahaha on the tenera, i have had my fill with it but seem to do ok most of the time with the light stuff. Cant sew the heavy stuff at all. I will look into the solarfix but ive gotten used to the way the tenera stands up to the elements. Most of the guys and friends im doing stuff for are hardcore offshore guys and that salt and sun does to them. Thanx I will try it. Friggin binding is tough with stamoid, finally have first  three panels done.

regalman190

Just finished a job with Solarfix. It was pretty easy to work with but had to adjust the tension. Different from Sunguard.
Regal Canvas

Mike

that's odd joe I can switch from sunguard to solrafix with no adjstments

Mojo

Solarfix and Tenara are identical in composition. Both are PTFE threads and both are lifetime warranted.

Solarfix will last as long as Tenara. The only difference ( and the reason why Tenara is so hard to sew with ) is because of the twist it has. Solarfix has a reverse twist which makes it much easier to sew with.

Chris