Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:30:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Why Does Everything Have To Be So Hard??

Started by jojo, June 06, 2014, 08:16:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Stapling. The worst part of a boat upholstery job, imo.
So here's what I'm working on - the curved back pieces.

Notice the hole in the center which makes everything about 300% more complicated. So I staple the stretcher down and it's tight on one side or the other. And how to get the vinyl (it's pleated) to lay flat on the curve? Any advice? Or better yet, anybody wanna come show me how it's done?  ;)

MinUph

Heat gun! Maybe you've pulled the cutout down to far?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

inside curves are more trivky then straight ive got one interior seat back to do tomorrow.   as paul said make sure the pull isn't to tight and maybe heat. maybe some adhesive ? looks like A CHRISTCRAFT AND NICE WORK.  tell me about the area is that freshwater in a marina or is it a saltwater canal? so you have canals in PA ?

MinUph

jojo,
  To add to my thoughts on this. I would just lightly tack the hole area to keep it in position finish off the rest and pull that cutout last. Heating the vinyl when setting the cutout. You can get the pleated nice and flat and just take out the excess pulls on the cutout last.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

The only advice I have to offer on inside curves is to make the curve (length of seam) less than the actual length.  For instance, if the curve measures at 28 inches, make yours 27 or 26, depending on the stretch of your panel.  So, when templating, what I do is draw the curve of the top/bottom plate exactly to dimension from the old panel.  Then, draw a new cut line INSIDE (toward the center of the circle) maybe an inch or two.  That's what you'll use, not the exact arc of what was done before.  It'll stretch easily to fit without excess when you go to staple.  The biggest problem is too much length.  Make it shorter rather than longer.  Hard to describe.  Good luck with it.  Post progress pics and we can offer suggestions.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

timtheboatguy

Be sure to pre medicate with some Ibuprofen so you'll be able to do things like unzip your pants or ties your shoes when your done. :)
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

how did it work out jojo? here that curved back cushion I did last Saturday

bobbin

I took one look at JoJo's project and was nearly apoplectic.  You, my dear, have my undying respect!  And I want to know how it all turned out for you.  (guessing you figured it out and it came out looking great).

I used to live in fear of something like that coming into the shop and knowing who was going to "get it".  I had no idea how to approach those things (no one else did either and the estimates I was handed were proof positive! "Beat The Clock", no real tools, vinyl jobs always sucked for me). To this day, you guys, working with vinyl in the "wrap around" way is about the only thing that makes me want to run for the exits.  I was more freaked out about getting the fit right than I was when multi-legged creatures emerged from the foam and ran over my hands.  Really!

I read these threads carefully because I know jobs like these will "come my way", I know I have the "chops" but not the confidence. 

READ:
Learn about heat guns.
Learn about gluing; pros and cons.

ajlelectronics