Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:27:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Price Estimate?

Started by jojo, May 08, 2014, 06:31:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

May 08, 2014, 06:31:22 am Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 06:33:05 am by jojo
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone is willing to share what they would charge (ballpark) for an enclosure with this configuration. Just the biminis and enclosure, the frame already exists. 30 gauge glass off the roll, nothing fancy. Thanks!

bobbin

OK Jojo, here's my guess.  I haven't made a bimini or side curtains in a blue moon.  I don't really have a fix on a lot of the prices anymore, either.

Bimini  $1200.
sides    $2000.  (500/ea.)
windshield  $800.
aft             $800.

(guessing is easy, esp. when you haven't done that sort of work for many moons!)

jojo

Hmm...I'm thinking this might be a high estimate, Bobbin.

JuneC

Here in SoFla, the main bimini would be about $600-650.  The zip-on camper maybe $375-400.  Enclosure panels I always charged by the panel - $450 for a plain panel, $550 for a smiley zip.  That was "average" size in 40 gauge Strataglass.  Large panels were more, of course.  The full setup, including camper back should be in the ballpark of what Bobbin said - around $5 grand on an existing frame.  Zip-out screens and other options would add to that. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I would figure at 40 hours at $75 per = $3000 and materials at $600  $3600

Grebo

I am guessing about the same as Mike, in euros so €2600.
My hourly rate is less than Mikes, then I don't have his experience & it would take me way longer.

Suzi

bobbin

I haven't done any canvas work in a L O N G time.  But I know how long it can take to pattern and how much time "options" can add to a job. 

(call me for the interior work or cockpit cushions, OK?  ;) )

Mike

I figure one day to pattern even it it was 5 hours im done

JuneC

Mike, you could pattern that in 5 hours????!!! Crap.  It would take me an hour just to get the old stuff off and the bows tensioned.  A full day at least.  And... I'd make the bimini's, install them, and then pattern the side curtains and camper. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mike

Well june  id figure a dsy. If i wasnt a hot or breezy dayi do t thonk id be there a full 8

And if no zippered pockets sissors are key.  Now sailboats  im slow at

jojo

Interesting, June, that you make the bimini first then pattern for the curtains. So you don't use the dot system where, theoretically, you can pattern the whole job accurately the first time then bring it back to the boat and just install it?
I try this but there always seem to be something wrong requiring another trip to the boat.

bobbin

I've worked in 2 shops.  Both began any enclosure with a properly patterned bimini.  However, once the bimini pattern was in place, the side curtains, windshield and aft curtain were patterned at the same time. 

Mike

on occasion I have to pattern a enclosure to a existing  top  I find it more difficult to try and clap my pattern to the zipper on the top I find it much easier to tape it to the frame with no top and marl to my dots. when I was in NH for year I had passed on work at the ocean as I was just to busy at my shop at the lake and didn't pattern I fit each piece as I went top and window ect . when I decided to move I knew id never have it as good again and learned to pattern the dot method and practiced on boat outside my shop
I can think of 5 large boats ive done here hour and a half to hour 45 away that ive done a full pattern top and enclosure one shot pattern and it works as long as your very carful and mark everything im always never still whilke driving to go install, what happenes more oftern is I forget a tool I need.

peppy on here makes his patter in half half a top and half a enclosure. ill pattern a cover only half but ive never don't a top and enclosure half one reason is I like to keep my windows on the pattern the entire sewing process to help eliminate scratches.

timtheboatguy

This is very helpful! I have been working too cheap :(
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

JuneC

I've always templated side curtains by stapling pattern plastic to the zips hanging off the tops.  I've also occasionally templated and sewn new tops to match existing sides but we all know that's totally bass-akwards and not easy at all.  Jimminy I hate canvas.    :-X  I'll do our own boat, but no others. 

June

W. C. Fields