Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:53:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Leaky Corners

Started by jojo, May 01, 2014, 02:12:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

So I'm not too experienced with making full camper enclosures, but I'm nearly finished with one. It looks pretty good, but somehow the corners are gappy. Like about an inch and a half between the curtain and the bimini. What's the best way to solve this...add tabs to the curtains or more fabric to the bimini?
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Mike

I don't add but make the curtains with a upturn to the panel to will this space add Velcro to the end corner of the visor at the front and rear corners of the bimini and mating velcros tot eh built in tabs on the panels . keeps the bugs out also.  I like to keep the loop on the inside of the canvas as it is more suseptable to the sun all the tabs will overlap at the corners the front and side panels will all overlap and Velcro

JuneC

Any photo?  We might be able to diagnose the problem better with a pic. 

Did you put your side curtain zips at the very top of your canvas or do you leave an overlap.  I always used to put the zips about an inch from the top on the outside of the side curtains to ensure about a 2 inch overlap of all pieces, top to bottom (assumes the zip on the bimini is 1 inch recessed from the lower edge). 

The side curtains are also overlapped in the same manner.  Zips were not visible from either inside, nor outside.  Basically, the zip is sandwiched between the two panels.  Always overlap front to back of the boat so when it's moving ahead, it sheds, rather than collects water.

Boy, I don't miss canvas....

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

May 01, 2014, 05:16:44 pm #3 Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:23:03 pm by Mike
June are you busy upholster strictly? I don't get a lot of upholstery maybe a few complete redo a year. this month I did get  a grand banks to do bridge cushions and a cabin salon. I get tired of sitting all day when upholstering . I like it its cool in the shop and a change from canvas. but sitting all day gets my back.

I just looked at your website you need to update it , its all about canvas

regalman190

May 01, 2014, 06:00:02 pm #4 Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:00:38 pm by regalman190
Did you extend the side curtain corners beyond the Bimini top seam at the frame? I typically extend the upper curtain corners 1" beyond the intersection of the Bimini top and flap seam. This allows the curtain to extend under the Bimini top flap. Then, I place a snap in the flap corner to the side curtain.
Regal Canvas

Mike

joe that how I do it but when I was learning I did work for a Larson dealer and they used Velcro so I copied them

jojo

The side curtains are long enough from fore to aft; the problem is from around where the visor seam is sewn to a couple inches from there between the bottom of the bimini edge and the top of the side curtain. Who knows what the heck I did, but I know I'm not doing it over, so I have to fix it somehow. Tabs on the curtain is what I'm leaning toward. I'll get a photo later.

JuneC

On both sides?  Did your bimini shift maybe?  I've also had customers move-extend-retract bimini legs that causes everything to not fit anymore. 

I'd go ahead with the tabs to cover the gap as well, just so long as your zips aren't exposed on the outside.

Mike, I really do need to update the website but I don't get many calls from that anyway.  I'm not terribly busy with upholstery, but I don't really want to be.  I'm in the middle of creating a web store for marine parts that takes up a lot of my time these days.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

May 02, 2014, 11:53:42 am #8 Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:56:43 am by Mike
jojo wjen making your windows  the side windows should come forward past the frame onto the visor. like june said you want to have a overlap of the top and your windows. and at the maim bos pocket ive seen if done where the pocket come all the way to the side of the canvas  you should stop your pocket 2" back from each end this allows your window joint to also be overlapped maybe this was your issue here.   but what ever gets it fixed a flap will do have a tab on the window covering the open space so you don't see sunlight or have a place to stick your finger in a open hole

june all my work comes from my website

Darren Henry

May 02, 2014, 04:18:36 pm #9 Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:19:24 pm by Darren Henry
I do a bit of all that has been suggested. I always let the aft end of my top and the flap sewn to it to overlap the stern curtain "dip down" below the line of my side zipper about 2" and sew velcro on the "tab". If required I will also let the top of the side curtain "sweep up" in that area as was mentioned, and sew velcro to that side make it bug proof.

You may to get really close to the screen and squint a bit but here is the only pic I have handy.Look closely where the two tops and side curtains meet.

They wanted this bug proof as I was converting it into a live aboard for them.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

fragged8

am i reading this right ? did you add dog ears to the corners of the bimini and rain flap ?

if you look at Darren's picture the ends of the rain flaps are rounded in a dog ear shape. ?