Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 08:26:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

leather cushion

Started by Joys Shop, April 19, 2014, 10:39:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Joys Shop

I'm going to be making a leather cushion for the back of a Morris chair

there will be no zipper

Do I have to put grommets in it?

I'd rather not do that if I can get away with it, but if they have to be there, I will

I want the owners to be able to flip the cushion over to spread the wear, I don't want a zipper to stop them, or grommets to show on the top either  (it would be different, I guess, if I could get black grommets)

This chair is supposed to go in the  husband's "man cave" and he's a pretty big fellow

I cringe thinking about this big guy using this chair anyway

MinUph

April 19, 2014, 11:18:03 am #1 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:22:53 pm by MinUph
You do need a way for the cushion to breath. Breathers, fabric zipper in rear boxing. Some way for air to escape and return. Think of sitting on a balloon.  Hard and stressful on the seams.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

April 19, 2014, 06:07:51 pm #2 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:13:36 pm by kodydog
Quote from: Joys Shop on April 19, 2014, 10:39:57 am
I want the owners to be able to flip the cushion over to spread the wear, I don't want a zipper to stop them, or grommets to show on the top either  (it would be different, I guess, if I could get black grommets)

Not sure I understand. Did the old cushion have a zipper? Are you going to sew it closed by hand? I'd do like Paul said and put a cloth zipper on the bottom. This should take care of the problem and give you a way to stuff it too.

I love the idea of leather on a Morris chair. What about the seat cushion?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html