Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:08:00 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bimini Question

Started by jojo, April 16, 2014, 02:25:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi guys,
What is the best way to install a zipper in a bimini sleeve where there was none previously? There's got to be a better way than picking out the stitches.

Mike

I cut down the center of the pocket then bind both sides and sew the zipper on the i side keppong the teeth at the center allow for the curve when sewing the. Ipper on

Mike

April 16, 2014, 03:48:38 pm #2 Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:50:05 pm by Mike
O And i use 2 zippers on the mAin  pockets stArting at the ends and ending in the middle this way the zipper wont creep open

jojo

bobbin

Right there with Mike! 

I came of age with high end marine canvas work.  Every bow pocket had a zipper... and end every pocket was split and bound... NEVER was a zipper sewn to a top, EVER.   Make sure you use a "crow's foot"  to secure the end of the pocket.  (Crow's foot=back stitch and then backstitch again so it's 45 degrees away from the first line of stitching).

Crow's foot: stitch forward, backtack, forward again.  Backtack 45 degrees up and come back to the intended line of stitching.  Make sense?  do the same thing on the opposite end;  the idea is to provide stitching to secure the pocket and spread the load on the stitch line more evenly.  Make sense?

jojo

Bobbin, yes, it makes sense! I'm a believer that every sleeve should have a zipper. Nothing is worse than disassembling a frame to get the bimini on/off.
I've seen it done many times where one end of the zipper is sewn directly onto the top with no reinforcement. It just seems so wrong! And I do the crow's foot stitch. However, I won't here, because the sleeve is already sewn down.

JuneC

Yep, what they said.  Same thing.  On big tops I typically put in a reinforcing patch - maybe 6 x 6 where the ends of the center pockets will be attached.  It prevents little annoying holes where the end of the stitch lines end up.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields