Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 05:26:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Input on Fumes & Needles Too

Started by Mojo, April 07, 2014, 09:25:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have been getting recurrent bouts of bronchitis and the Doc finally diagnosed it as
" Chemical Bronchitis ". 5 bouts of this crap in the last couple months.

My buddy the retired Doc from Canada has been here with his bus staying for the last week and
he just shook his head when he came into the shop and seen me cutting acrylic with the hot knife and the clouds of smoke coming up. He basically said " Really ??? Your wondering where your chemical bronchitis is coming from ??? Good God man get some ventilation in here for when your cutting ".

I typically have a ceiling fan running and used to have a HEPA air filter that ran all the time. I took it out and put it in the bus. Maybe it is time to order a second one. ( Ya Think ?? ")  :)

My question is for you canvas people or others that cut with a hot knife. What type of ventilation do you use ? Do any of you use a fan to blow the fumes away from you ?

My second question is the smoke that comes off the needles. I think it may have been June who once talked about this. For those of you who stitch long pieces of canvas or heavy fabric, do you all see the same thing ? Smoke coming off your needles because of intense friction heat ? Is there a way to get rid of this heat and prevent the needles from heating up so badly ?

Also, one last question. Wouldn't the heat damage the thread ? Especially Solarfix.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

Chris

bobbin

I will use a box fan in the warmer months if I'm cutting a lot of acrylic with the hot knife.  In the wintertime I only have to crack a window north and south to create enough "draw".  I haven't worked on much acrylic for some time now. 

The only time I get a needle smokin' these days is when I bind something.  I don't worry about it all.  In Boss' shop the needle would smoke when applying facings to "glass" or binding. 

Mike

Honestly i find it to slow to cut out all my cover patterns with the hot knife   I mostly just use it were i have to. As far as needle smoke. I see it it im flying ehen i change bo. Ins i shoot a healty dose of oil in the bob in case to help   Year ago i was a delevery driver and a had a stop a old guy sho made the canvas rollers and canvas  overs for dump trucks.   I met him later on one day in my bait shop and he told me bow he got sick from the dust that cames off the thread and builds at the needle.  Tha when i started oiling the bobbin well and i havnt seen this dust.   Do you chris?

SteveA

I don't cut acrylic but I do work with nasty solvents + dust.  I have a full size fan but it takes the heat from the room so I only run it when spraying.  I added a small bathroom size fan that I can leave on for hours and it manages to pull a small amount of fresh air in without exhausting the heat too quickly and clears the lingering odors. That little fan is a lung saver.
I would  recommend you wear a filtered mask as well when cutting the acrylics in addition to venting to the outside.

SA. 

brmax

I agree with the bath style vent as a very efficient small area application, great idea. I don't remember the model I got last. I will say I am a stickler for quiet ones no matter the cost.
I seen a very sharp sew machine mechanic on the west coast use air pressure and different regulated amounts pointing at needles for some production operators. I will say the older I get the wiser especially about clean air, as I have been around all that we might talk about to avoid. cheap mask are better than none.