Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 09:32:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

make a chair cushion comfortable?

Started by shokan, March 29, 2014, 12:19:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shokan

Hi. Inside are three springs grouped in the center. You can feel them prominently
when you sit down. There's some insubstantial padding on top of the springs. Plus,
you feel like you're sitting in a hole, everything presses down through the frame
opening.

What online or book resource would show me how to make this cushion good for long
hours of sitting? Or, should I just get it professionally done and what should I ask
for?

Thanks.

http://imageshack.com/a/img845/6602/i9pe.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img27/5143/pyrw.jpg

btw, couldn't attach photos, says could not find file path. Worked first time, but after resizing and trying to post a second, third and fourth time, I got 'could not find file path' message. They were on my desktop.

chrisberry12

Take the fabric off carefully, remove the padding, throw the springs away. Staple to the top of the wood frame either elastic webbing or jute webbing, stretch with webbing stretcher. Apply burlap. Finally put the original padding back on, add a layer of Dacron and do in muslin. If you like then put fabric back on if not add another layer of Dacron and then the fabric. Have fun

shokan

Quote from: chrisberry12 on March 29, 2014, 06:55:53 pm
Take the fabric off carefully, remove the padding, throw the springs away. Staple to the top of the wood frame either elastic webbing or jute webbing, stretch with webbing stretcher. Apply burlap. Finally put the original padding back on, add a layer of Dacron and do in muslin. If you like then put fabric back on if not add another layer of Dacron and then the fabric. Have fun

Staple to the top of the wood frame either elastic webbing or jute webbing, stretch with webbing stretcher. Apply burlap.
You mean stretch webbing across the hole in the chair frame? But, what do you mean by apply burlap?

Finally put the original padding back on, add a layer of Dacron and do in muslin. If you like then put fabric back on if not add another layer of Dacron and then the fabric.
Put what padding back onto what? I don't understand. And, add a layer of Dacron to what? I don't understand 'do in muslin' either. Sorry, I completely can't follow what you've explained.

MinUph

shokan,
  Terminology is confusing for anyone that doesn't understand it.

What he was saying is to remove all the filling from the seat wood frame. Stretch some webbing (rubber, elastic, jute, or composite) using a webbing stretcher across the wood frame. Probably three strips across the front and back and then weave two strips left to right and stretch them also. If done properly it will be like a drum.
  Then cut a small square of Dacron say 5-6" square and place in the center. I would add 2" of medium foam to this cutting it about 3/4" of an inch larger and glue it onto the frame over the webbing which basically has filled the hole. Just glue around the edges. Put a layer of Dacron over this ending it at the bottom of the frame. There should room around the seat frame and the chair frame for this thickness to allow the seat to drop in the frame. Put your fabric on and you will be good to go.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

shokan

March 31, 2014, 03:28:26 am #4 Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:29:29 am by shokan
Quote from: MinUph on March 30, 2014, 05:42:41 pm
Stretch some webbing (rubber, elastic, jute, or composite) using a webbing stretcher across the wood frame. Probably three strips across the front and back and then weave two strips left to right and stretch them also. If done properly it will be like a drum.

1) When you say 'front and back', do you mean top and bottom? In the illustration, I only have them on the top. Are you saying have the same as in the illustration on the underside also?

2) Also, how and where do I attach the webbing? Around the edges, or on the top faces of the seat frame ? And, with what, carpet tacks?

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/5791/xld8.jpg

sofadoc

Run the webbing from FRONT TO BACK, and SIDE TO SIDE. Attach it on the top of the frame. Preferably with upholstery tacks or staples. 

Here is a basic tutorial for webbing and padding a chair. It's a little different from your chair seat, but the basic principles are the same. Maybe someone else here knows where to find a video that shows a seat that more resembles yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_VQXWb_l9I

BTW, if the only problem that you are experiencing with the current foundation is that you can feel the springs through the padding, you can just add some firmer/thicker padding over the top, and keep the springs intact. There is probably a rotted piece of burlap currently over the springs (below the padding) that will need to be replaced. You can use a scrap piece of new fabric if you don't have any burlap.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

March 31, 2014, 09:08:25 am #6 Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:25:12 pm by MinUph
It is sounding more and more that you both don't understand and Also will not have the proper tools and equipment to do this. Take the seat out of the frame and bring it to a shop. You will be further ahead.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

shokan

Quote from: sofadoc on March 31, 2014, 05:59:35 am

BTW, if the only problem that you are experiencing with the current foundation is that you can feel the springs through the padding, you can just add some firmer/thicker padding over the top, and keep the springs intact. There is probably a rotted piece of burlap currently over the springs (below the padding) that will need to be replaced. You can use a scrap piece of new fabric if you don't have any burlap.
Yes, I'd like to keep the springs, but I'm at a loss as to what material(s) to use so that I can't feel the individual springs. A stiff but flexible, thick vegetable matter almost like a "loofah sponge" type of thing in a mat form would do it but that substance in mat form doesn't exist. I'll think of something, I'm sure, and I'll post back when it comes to me. Perhaps burlap folded over many times  with a layer or two of high-density foam like they use to make those yoga mat things...  you know, that might work actually. I'll see. Thanks.

JuneC

Hmmmm.  Stiff but flexible.  Have you gotten any samples of "densified polyester"?  I don't know where you live, but you might actually see some at JoAnn's Fabrics.  In Florida, they carry it, calling it "outdoor foam".  Personally I wouldn't want to have to sit on it.  It's about a solid as a 2x4.  But, it would probably work wonders on top of springs if you had something soft (like dacron or cotton) on top of it.  Go have a look if there's a JoAnn's in your area.  It's always white, 1 to 3 inches thick, stiff, looks like water will drain right out, PITA to cut, but may just work for your application.  And if it's too thick, you can pretty easily separate it into layers. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sinethomas

sofadoc the video demonstration was very helpful, Thanks for sharing it

byhammerandhand

April 02, 2014, 08:36:38 am #10 Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:39:09 am by byhammerandhand
I don't know that this one is any more helpful, but boy, the one that Sofadoc posted would scare me about how awkwardly she does the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIen6EuGeJA

Anyone familiar with the "Old World Rubbing Technique" after the 4:00 mark?  I just hope I never have to pull the staples that she's put in that webbing.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on April 02, 2014, 08:36:38 am
the one that Sofadoc posted would scare me about how awkwardly she does the job.
I guess I should've actually WATCHED the video all the way through before linking it.  :) I just did a quick search for one that showed webbing being installed. I'm sure there are many better ones available. I don't always have the time and/or patience to sift through them.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

WOW I just watch that video. Rubbing the webbing. I can find better things to rub. Don't ya just hate stripping old webbing when someone staples like her? Holly crap. It would take an hour to do the chair that way. Oh well the internet is for anyone right. LOL
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

She probably needs that many staples so she can stand on the webbing to test it?  The first video has two webbings going each way, the second one has as many as possible.

What do you all use to attach webbing to the frame -- tacks, upholstery staples, narrow crown staples,  roofing nails :.) something else?

Quote from: MinUph on April 02, 2014, 04:03:48 pm
WOW I just watch that video. Rubbing the webbing. I can find better things to rub. Don't ya just hate stripping old webbing when someone staples like her? Holly crap. It would take an hour to do the chair that way. Oh well the internet is for anyone right. LOL
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

I use 9/16" staples. 5  one end,3 on the stretched end and 5 more after folding it over. You can stand on mine if you wanted to I would guess.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website