Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 09:43:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New here with a few questions

Started by whtwter, March 24, 2014, 05:40:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

Those are the ones I am familiar with Paul, the cheap foam wrapped ones found in cheap furniture today. I had forgotten about the old fashioned ones. Sorry Chris---didn't mean to put you off.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

mike802

I like to make my furniture with down and feather cushions.  I have never sat on a marshal unit that I found to be comfortable, but if you say yours is who am I to argue.  The draw back to using down and feather is the constant fluffing of the cushions and the occasional addition of new filling no matter how good the ticking is.  This can be avoided by making a down and feather cushion with a foam core, or using a down and feather and hollofill blend, the choices are many.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

MinUph

Mike did you know that putting the down casing (no foam core) in the drier for a couple of minutes will dry the down out and fluff them like new? Laying it out in the sun is good also.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

whtwter

Anyone familiar with Robert Allen Fabric? I picked up about 25 yards at a estate sale this morning for $150. It seemed like a nice fabric and  there was enough to do the sofa and matching chair. I figured at that price I could resell it if it wasn't appropriate for my project. I know very little about fabrics and have been kind of overwhelmed with all the choices, this was the color I wanted and I like the texture so I went for it. Found it on their website but there isn't any pricing and I don't have a clue what the specs mean. http://www.robertallendesign.com/trade/fabric_detail.aspx?product=231960. Is this a good choice for a sofa?

MinUph

You got a good price. No going to post the price here but you did good. It is a wool blend and has a double rub test result of 20000. Not the most durable but also not to bad. It should work fine on your sofa and chair. Might be a little scratchy on bare skin because of the high wool content. The fabric is from Italy.
  RA has a quality line of fabrics.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website