Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 02:06:22 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fiddling with the clocks-again

Started by Rich, March 10, 2014, 04:06:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

I know one of the more recent reasons for keeping the time change was to save energy, but with all those moms driving the little darlin's to school, it has to use more gas than one bus!
Gene,I used to wonder about the lack of seat belts on school buses also, but have read that they are actually very safe vehicles w/o the belts. And can you imagine the time it would take to check that all those belts were indeed fastened?
I do believe that Gene's fist post gives a good answer. Nowadays, if your looking for a reason for why things are done a certain way, greed is usually the answer. I think there was a time when we had statesmen, now, we have only greedy (or scared) politicians who only have their eyes on the next election.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike

Quote from: gene on March 10, 2014, 04:34:46 pm

PS: It wasn't that many generations ago that no one had "soap boxes".  ;D

ive never seen a soapbox you could stand on why were they so big?

gene

March 13, 2014, 06:18:33 am #17 Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:23:24 am by gene
Quoteive never seen a soapbox you could stand on why were they so big?

Mike, I think what you meant to say, or imply, is that you have never seen a soapbox that you could stand on "without crushing it".

Back in the good ol' days, which more than a few folks on this forum remember well, and many not so well, products, such as soap, were shipped in wooden boxes. "Why?" you may not be wondering? Because that was the cheapest way to ship many products, such as soap.

Standing on a wooden crate, that had been used to transport soap, for example, without crushing it is a rather easy thing to do. And folks would often do just that in order to be heads above the crowd so everyone could hear their diatribes.

But then, one day, it was discovered that if you take a piece of paper and make it fluted, i.e., wavy, and then glue that piece of paper inside of two other flat pieces of paper, voila, you have a corrugated box, or as the common person says, "a cardborad box." You have a shipping container lighter and cheaper than a wooden crate, and with enough stacking strength to keep the products inside from getting crushed.

The primary downside to the corrugated box is that you cannot stand on it without crushing it.

"Standing on a soap box" went the way of buggy whips and blood letting.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Back in the day, the Ford Motor Company used to specify to their parts vendors exactly what type and size of wooden boxes they must ship their parts in.

The reason was, so they could take the boxes apart, and use the wood slats as floorboards in their automobiles.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

March 13, 2014, 04:12:13 pm #19 Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:15:42 pm by Mike
I was born in 1960 at the end of the era, but I do remember as a kid in southern  California the milkman and we had a helmans,   the helms bakery.

mom would put a cardboard in the window with a H on it if she wanted him to stop.

, because mom was at home didn't drive to the store ect.   I had a cardboad helms truck they gave out

that and in the stores you could test your tv tubes and buy a new one at this machine

Darren Henry

QuoteStanding on a wooden crate, that had been used to transport soap, for example, without crushing it is a rather easy thing to do. And folks would often do just that in order to be heads above the crowd

ROFL! That is a funny memory. That same thing thing can be done with a "Coke crate" so that a 4 year old can "work" at his Grandpa's service station---pumping gas AND cleaning the windshield. Mine had it's own place---right between the 2 pumps.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Rich

Sorry to interrupt the digression, but I've been thinking about this time change thing and here's what I've come up with.
We have a few more hours daylight in the summer than in the winter. The amount of work or school daylight hours is fixed. So, to not waste hours, you'd want to start your work or school day as soon after sunrise as possible, right? If that's the case in the winter, then when the daylight hours increased (meaning the sun would rise earlier and set later) the workday would start a longer time after the sun had risen in the summer. By setting the clocks ahead in the spring, we move the start of the workday closer to sunrise and get the benefit of the extra hours of daylight after we leave work when we can make the best use of them.
Sound about right?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

QuoteSorry to interrupt the digression
;D

The problem Rich is that it's still "NOT FAIR".

I live in the west of the Eastern Time Zone. Therefore, I always get longer daylight in the evenings than the folks who live in the east of the Eastern Time Zone, no matter what time the clock says.

Maybe charge a higher obama care tax, incremental to how far you live toward the west of your particular time zone? That would make life more fair. Yes?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

I have a friend who's a historian of the craft.   He said in the pre-industrial British trades, the "Garrett Masters" would hire journeymen.   In the winter, they would work by the piece (having short days), but in the summer, they were hired by the day (meaning daylight hours).
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mike

March 14, 2014, 02:05:47 pm #24 Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:06:46 pm by Mike
i hate waiting for the sun in the morning to start work.
and I  don't fell like making dinner till the sun goes down so its like 8oo pm before I even think about it . I used to like the longer summer days but now im tired somtime before dark