Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 04:12:23 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mooring Cover Material

Started by regalman190, February 28, 2014, 12:31:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

regalman190

Hi all.

Have to make engine covers matching the mooring cover. But I don't recall ever seeing this type of material. It's a mooring cover on a 42' Cigarette boat.

Does anyone have an idea?

Regal Canvas

RiCat

February 28, 2014, 01:07:36 pm #1 Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:10:31 pm by RiCat
Hello.. That bottom pic looks like a material I use a lot. Called "HarborTime" provided by Tri Vantage. It is a Acrylic Coated Polyester - 11oz per sq yd - 62" wide. In fact, the color looks like Storm Grey - Tri Vantage part : 775652 - 5yr Manufacture "limited" warranty
Hope this helps

Rick

ps.. also.. around 10 bucks a yard

Mike

rick how is it you sell  harbortime ? im always request to use sunbrella stamoid or weblon  I used to use surlast a lot with a dealer who was looking for a better price point

RiCat

Mike, I reckon it is just with explanations and options. I do not charge as much with HarborTime. I find it is a much easier material to work with. It does not wick and / or ravel like Sunbrella. It is cheaper than Sunbrella. I do inform a customer on the difference in the warranties from each manufacturer. Another selling point I bring is Solarfix thread. I am finding that SolarFix has a very good return compared to the cost if sold properly. I also explain - learning from past experience - that Sunbrella will relax and can hold a puddle in a hard rain. Of course, HarborTime does not breath like Sunbrella, but I usually seel support poles with VentII for ventilation purposes. I am also starting to constuct my own vents with mesh and covered 40ga plastic for cross ventilation. I have not had no complaints on HarborTime. Now, I am finding it does show more "waves" on covers than Sunbrella, but I try to take the time to take as many areas of excess out of the cover as possible. I have not had no one call back with complaints, so I then grab ahold of the saying.. "No news is good news"

Don't let the work overwhelm you .....

Rick

JuneC

Looks like Aqualon to me.  Regal, if you want to PM me your address, I'll send you a swatch of white in the mail.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

March 02, 2014, 10:50:12 am #5 Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:51:34 am by Mike
funny thing Ricat as you say sunbrella will streach and ive seen my self with the sag but I get a number of customer who had bad shrinkage say 3" on a 12; cockpit cover of reaching the rear transom snaps so I sugest recacril that claims to not streach or shrink like sunbrella  but still breathes and had a better fell to the weave to me also

regalman190

Thanks all for the input.
I'll have to look into the Harbor Time.
Thanks June. I'll PM you.
Regal Canvas

regalman190

Looked at the fabric closer. This material is not Harbor Time and it's not Aqualon, Top Gun or any other sample card I have. The color on the inside is slightly darker and shinier than the outside. Still hunting! Going to contact Cigarette to see if they can help.
Regal Canvas

Mike

Darren Henry

Hard to say on my monitor, but it looks like a product we use for that quite a bit--albeit on smaller boats and RV awnings outdoor covers etc...Is it lighter than sunbrella and topgun? Up here J. Ennis fabrics used to sell "wheather mate" and "weather pro".  The pro was heavier and stiffer. I have a couple of suppliers who sell a comparable material to the weather mate under the name "Barracuda".I don't have the # for Ennis U.S outlet in Indianapolis, but it's on their website.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!