Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 03:20:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Service Needed

Started by SteveA, February 18, 2014, 11:32:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on February 18, 2014, 12:55:35 pm
So where do you take foam to have it re-trained?  :D

The foam whisperer :)

SteveA

Kdog,
It had to be seen and evaluated - an inspection fee is standard. You should be getting a fee if someone sends you out on a service call.   Beyond that I spent an hour in the house disassembling the unit to figure out what the exact problem was.  When it was determined a bent frame was the issue - the customers told me not to put it back together because they were returning it to the big box store.  I guess they felt this loveseat wasn't meant to be. They weren't in the mood to wait for parts to be sent even if that was possible.  Leaving it separated made it easy for them to return it to the store.  All total with travel I had 2-1/2 hours into this adventure so $ 105.00 was small compensation for the time.  I billed, and will be paid - the customer will be refunded $ 800.00.  I don't think that they will re-purchase the exact same unit.  This was shipping damage not due to failing quality although I agree it was a  medium quality unit.
SA

sofadoc

Me and the local furniture stores have a little game that we play.

They bring me reclining sofas with bent mechanisms. I tell them to order a new mech. In the meantime, it goes back to my store room, where it may remain for several months.

Eventually, the store calls me to say that they can't get a new mech. At that point, I suggest that I just straighten out the old one. They say OK. So I beat the bends out of the old one against the concrete floor, or a hunk of steel.

When it leaves the shop, it is functional. But those cheap mechs are made of pot metal, and aren't designed to support the average overweight Americans. I'm sure that they don't last very long.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

March 03, 2014, 03:45:24 pm #18 Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:51:14 pm by byhammerandhand
I had to repair a mech for a 380 lb guy a few years ago.  He was definitely outside the design criteria.    Coincidentally, he lived right around the corner from my daughter's in-law's family bakery.   I asked if he ever went there.   "Oh, yeah," he said, "I love their stuff."

SofaDoc -- just watching the national news and the mess in Dallas.   You OK?    

I get replacement mechs directly from Leggett & Platt, as long as they're domestically made.  Some are made in China and not available outside China.   They OEM many of the mechs I see.    Others come from Ultra-Mech, who offer a lifetime warranty.   Send them the old mech and they'll essentually rebuild it by replacing any bent or worn parts, repaint it and ship it back.   All you pay is shippng 2 ways.

L&P is also where I buy my replacement recliner cable pulls.  People always ask me if it's common for them to break.  I point to my parts box and say, "Well, I usually buy them 20 of a given type at a time and have about a dozen of them left.   So do you think?"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

chrisberry12

most new cheap furniture has no burlap over the springs in the deck which will cause problems with the cushions in a short amount of time. I always pull the deck padding, add burlap and then put old padding back and then everything is "Better then new" I also talk the customer to the top quality foam so I get no complaints after that.