Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:16:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Electric Staple guns - revisited

Started by baileyuph, January 30, 2014, 06:16:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Is there any experience with the narrow and wide crown electric staplers that answers the question which gun last longer?  One that shoots ................

a.  The wide crown?

or

b.  The intermediate crown, for example like the #7 wire staple?

or

c.  Is gun performance/reliability not connected to which staple it shoots?

I have only used a gun that shoots intermediate crown size, no experience with wide (electric guns - again to clarify).

I am thinking about buying a new electric and am just wondering out loud.  I certainly don't know if a staple has any bearing on gun performance (electric).

Doyle

baileyuph

Oh my, my older electric Duo-Fast collapsed again, I believe it is over because I can't find rebuild parts for it, over 20 year old.

So, I ordered a newer Duo-Fast, looks pretty similar to the old one,  then got a call back that it won't be available until next month. 

I don't know, got to thinking about a portable compressor and just stay with one staple gun and type of staples.  I read where the small tankless compressors are accepted pretty well and are quiet. 

Here is the question, don't have one I can plug in but the literature on the comprssor indicates a noise level of only 56 decibels.

I have no idea of what 56 decibels is like?

Is too noisy to take in a home for a small quick repair?  If it could be engaged for a minute or two and then reengaged for another three minutes, I guess it would work.

This is a portable requirement only and noise is important.  I get a lot so it could be used about everyday in a home or other place. 

I don't think one with a tank is in question.  Compact as possible and quiet as possible, but strong enough to sinki a furniture staple (up to 1/2 inch.)

Maybe the low supply of duo fast electric is a good thing, it has me thinkiing.  I have been expecting the old electric to die, put off the replacement issue but now need to make a decision.

Never used the real small air compressor systems nor know anyone around here who has.

Doyle

JuneC

56 decibels is really quiet.  A vacuum cleaner is louder.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

I had a tankless one about 20 years ago that was louder than a 747 taking off. I don't know what the decibel rating was. But since June says that 56 isn't bad, maybe they're better (quieter) now.

Are you opposed to one with even a small tank? Looks like a small tank would get you through a home repair possibly without coming on.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Quote56 decibels is really quiet.

We sell a 3K generator that runs at 67 decibels.Being that quiet is one of it's big selling features. When we are showing one we'll start it up and show the people that you can have a normal conversation in front of it without raising your voice.

I've done ALOT of in house work and have used many air sources. If silence is paramount I'd use a compressed air tank (like you'd have in the garage for running over and topping up a friends tire) and have a means to top it up if required. It is surprising how far 125 P.S.I will go. Personally I have had a scuba regulator modified to run my air tools (replace second stage --the piece you would put in your mouth--with a conventional coupler). To screen in and brad nail battens onto an 8 foot piece of walk way used less than 1/2 of my little 50 cu.ft. SCBA tank (like the firemen have). I could probably reupholster half a dozen sofas on one of my old steel 72 cu.ft. scuba tanks @2250 psi.

I have had to work with a tankless compressor before, and it sucked! That particular one would chase the dog around if it was on anything smoother than shag carpet or velcro and having to start/stop it manually was a pain,especially if you had to have it over by wherever there was an open plug in and weave past the end tables and nick nacks every trip.I would never buy one.

I have found that a portable compressor with tank is the way to go.  How large you would need, of course, depends on your air flow requirements.

My sister and I bought Dad a 1 gal Campbell Hausfeld a few years ago and I have used it on small jobs when I was up there. It was very very quiet, tiny ( about the size of two loaves of bread), and worked well for brad nailers/staplers etc without cutting in and out too often. If I were using my Critter ™gun or any of my other air pigs, I'd want a little bigger.I have what is the perfect size for me back in Kenora, but the one that I use here is dang close ---just a little heavier. I'll get the stats for you the next time I'm at the shop.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Allan

56 dbA is not very loud however if you use a compressor without a tank it will be running ALL the time against a tank unit that will cycle
If it is too noisy leave it outside and run a hose inside

Allan

forsailbyowner

I have a small one with a small tank that runs off the boats inverter. I kept running into the harder plastic seat backs and bolsters where the electric just didnt have enough umph. Its pretty noisey but Im much happier with the noise than having to go back and beat the  half driven staples in with a hammer.

Darren Henry

Here is a pic of the two gallon I use at work,that I mentioned.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Lo

Here's the one I settled on after the first one I purchased was way too noisy, constantly ran when stapling, wouldn't seat a 1/2" staple completely, and smelled as if a bearing was going out on the first use.

This unit has been handy for those occasional on-site jobs. Works great for staples, brads, and spraying glue . . . only thing it doesn't do well is using a bazooka for fill. Used it exclusively for about 5 weeks while waiting for repair parts for my primary unit.

Here is a site that has it on sale for less than I bought mine off the shelf . . . http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/bostitch-cap1512-of?CA_6C15C=230005750000000566.

baileyuph

Great input - thanks to everyone.

Darren's comment about "running all the time" made me go back to the net and try one more time to find an electric Duo Fast, the new version of what I just wore out.  Previous searches ended learning that they were all on back order and one might expect one in early March.

But, this time I found one in stock, ordered it with staples.  All should be here in two or three days.

Chrisberry commented he had tried several electric staplers to learn that Duo Fast was not perfect but was the best he used.  It is the most expensive electric gun of its type.  From previous experience, for what I used my old Duo Fast for, I found it acceptable (small in home/office/ etc.).  It wasn't perfect but made me money, very compact.

In the compressor - air tank category, I have two in the shop, hence the electric will not be used there.

As a side comment, there is a wealth of knowledge and informaion available on this site, I am very grateful to all of your input.

Doyle

BobbyD

I've got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Rolair-JC10-Compressor-Protection-Operation/dp/B0058NRVMO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1#productDetails

I bought it specifically because it was described as being quiet compared to others, and I wanted to use it in an apartment.  Works great, and is a great deal quieter than the craftsman that it replaced.

chrisberry12

Duo-Fast is the best electric gun and a second is Mastri is right behind as far as quality and longevity. However I would splurge for a portable compressor. I had a Makita hotdog and loved it. I sold to a friend of mine when I moved. I researched air compressors looking for something quiet and found one called GMC Cyclone. It is not made by General Motors Corp. but is very quiet. It is oil less and is direct drive. Kinda funny looking and has a lawn mower muffler on it, but I love it. I believe I bought it on E-Bay. Good Luck and let us know what you decide

sofadoc

I'm not too keen on doing in-home repairs anymore (never was really). It seems like every job is either too big, or too small for an electric stapler. On small jobs, I'd just as soon muddle through with a hand stapler, or a tack hammer and tacks. On big jobs, I'd just as soon haul the piece into the shop. I don't want to spend an hour or 2 in the customer's home. If the repair is going to take more than 15 minutes, I'm hauling it in.

On all the warranty jobs for local retailers, I make them bring it to me.

On repairs for Joe Public, I tell them that if they'll bring it in, I'll give it same day service. And they'll save money on a service call also.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban