Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:38:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Opinion on joining widths

Started by bobbin, February 06, 2014, 06:07:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

I am making a folding cushion for a queen size berth in an aft cabin (6" latex foam).  The goods are 54" wide, so I have to add on to get my cut width for the top piece.  Normally, I'd add on at the selvedge of the goods, but since this cushion will fold in half I'm thinking of cutting 2 pcs. and joining them at the centre (where it will fold) because I'll have to stitch the two zipper boxings down the centre anyway.  What do you guys think about this?

Mike

I dont know the width wouldn't 2 54" passes be eide enough

bobbin

I need 61" cut width for the top.  Goods are 54" wide.  Normally, I'd add the needed fabric to each side of a centre panel, but I'm thinking of cutting two pcs. each 31 1/2" and seaming them so the seam runs down the centre of the cushion top, since I will have to stitch the zipper boxings down the centre of the cushion top anyway.  Make sense?

I was thinking about this while grocery shopping and think it's the best solution.  The yacht is gorgeous and I can "bury" the centre seam allowance inside of the two foam sections.  Seems to make more sense than adding a narrow strip of fabric to each side of the cushion top. 

MinUph

Your idea sounds good. No excess seams showing and it will all be pretty well hidden when the unit is folded.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

Good idea. I do something similar for  mattresses that have to pull double duty---lay flat and then become seat and back cushions or worse have to double over for use. I treat the two halves as individual cushions but leave the top seam where they will join  open save for 1/2-2 inch at the ends. I then take a strip of material , book the end , and sew it in between the boxing and top panel on both sides as I close the rest of those seams. This way the mattress lays flat despite the seam allowance of your cushions and hinges easily. With 6" foam I would probably go 3/4" gap between the two seams [ 1/2" bulge in the foam each side ---less a titch. the bulge is only in the centre and you want it tight top and bottom.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

Yep, like you said.  And Darren's expansion on the idea.  Two separate cushions, when used for a bed, have a tendency to migrate away from each other when weight is applied.   Create a fabric "hinge" between the two and you have a folding cushion that can't move away from its mate.  Just like Darren describes. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields