Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 02:25:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cell phones

Started by Mike, February 01, 2014, 05:38:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I utilize all three Phone, IPad and laptop.

I am an old fart like a few others on here and despised technology. I fought texting tooth and nail despite my kids pleas but then I started getting texts from my granddaughter and the game changed. Something about grandkids that can make you move heaven and earth for them.

To be honest I now prefer texting over talking on the phone unless it is a detailed conversation I need to have. Then I ring the person. I consider myself very blessed because I have a wife who is younger then I am ( 9 years ) and who has a job that requires she stays on top of all the new stuff. No way will I tell you I was tech savy enough to figure everything out. She got me up to speed on my phone, laptop and my Ipad.

This is the breakdown in as far as usage:

Phone - Phone calls and text messages and when away from home it is our hotspot for internet connection. For those who do not know what a hotspot is - it basically takes your phone and turns it into a WIFI internet source allowing you to connect your laptop or Ipad to the internet.

IPAD - used for when out of the shop and at rallys and RV events. I use this to process and complete transactions via Paypal/credit card transactions. Also will use this as a mini laptop from time to time while sitting out on the veranda having my coffee. It can also connect to the internet through Wifi and can go with me to the shop or around the house.

Laptop - Is our main storage device as well as our invoice generator when we bill from the shop versus the road. It is my design center for marketing materials and pretty much is my mainstay for all internet activity.

Incidentally, we have a very fast internet connection and pair this with a wifi router. This allows us to connect with our laptops and Ipads anywhere on our property. I also might add we have two printers and both are wifi. I will never own a printer again that has to be cabled to a laptop. I can place one printer in the shop and another in the office. Works awesome.

Our bus setup is identical to our home setup. Wifi and printers.

Chris

Mojo

Mike:

If your only interested in local calls and will not be traveling then the cheapest and most complete service you can get that has good coverage in your area will suffice.

Because I hit the road for my Dr. Throg's medicine show I have to have a phone with good reception throughout the country.

Tower and coverage/signal strength ratings look like this:

1.) Verizon - # 1 for amount of area covered as well as 4g network signal strength.

2.) AT&T / Sprint - Good coverage and 4g signal strength

3.) Metro PCS and T-Mobile have merged - Decent coverage with some signals being lost in remote areas.

4.) All the others with spotty reception and signal strength and deep dark holes in some areas.

I was in your shoes and didn't travel and did all business locally I would go with
the cheapest carrier I could find with unlimited talk/data plans. Hope this helps.

Chris

Allan

February 03, 2014, 01:46:38 pm #17 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:47:38 pm by Allan
The next bit of technology you need to think about is backup and storage
I have started using Sky Drive as it has more features than Icloud or Drop Box
I am finding it very good as i can access files from anywhere
I don't put banking or sensitive information up there but being able to access from any computer when away from home or when at home accessing files from any computer is a bonus
Being microsoft i have to trust their security but i think it is ok and have been told this by several computer geeks one of whom is in computer security

Allan

Mike

Quote from: mike802 on February 03, 2014, 07:57:04 am
My wife and I share one cell phone
you cant call her when you get separated at home depot lol,, ya ive done it

Mike

chris when I came to florida in my winni on vacation I had a cheap nokia phone with verison nation wide no roaming , and I could tether my laptop wth a usb cable and access the web.

MinUph

Quote from: Mike on February 03, 2014, 06:13:38 pm
Quote from: mike802 on February 03, 2014, 07:57:04 am
My wife and I share one cell phone
you cant call her when you get separated at home depot lol,, ya ive done it

We do this all the time. My wife is always getting lost in the stores.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

mike802

Quoteyou cant call her when you get separated at home depot lol,, ya ive done it

That's true, but we are both young enough to remember where we parked LOL.  Maybe we are a Little odd but we are the kind of couple that don't separate, well bathroom trips obviously, but we usually wait outside for one another.

Today's Cell Phone have many benefits thats a given, but I just cant outweigh the health hazards.  I like my brain tumor free thank you.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Mike

my  brains already f*&k#d up 

Darren Henry

Quotemy  brains already f*&k#d up

:) Was that the eighties, spray glues, or the stroke? LOL.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I believe all three Darren......:) I myself spent to much time in the 70's. :)

Chris

Mike

id like to do the 70s again :)

MinUph

Me too Mike, It was treat.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

forsailbyowner

Hey Mike, Im using metropcs and get unlimited data talk and text for $40 a month. I was paying $10 more for a blackberry but havent replaced it yet after getting 3 wet in one month. Next smartphone Im getting is the Kyocera Hydro. Metropcs finally started carrying them. their a little more expensive but being waterproof is huge in my world. theyre $169

Mike

I paying nor around $215 a month 2 phones unlimited data and a lot of minutes with roller with att  mojo I belive was paying about the same with a different carrier.

im going to switch to a new plan for 45 unlimiter everything once my contract is up soon

chrisberry12

I see tons of responses here so I will make mine short. I got rid of all my cell phones!!! I have a computer and a land line. that is all I need. There is no reason anyone needs to get a hold of me every minute of the day. We all ran our businesses for years without this annoying piece of technology. I find I get more work out now. I do however have customers that text me their photo's right to my email and it works great. I check a couple times a day. A cell phone is a gadget nothing more, have fun

Chris
On Island Upholstery