Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 05:22:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Time for a raise

Started by kodydog, January 31, 2014, 07:47:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Wow! If the father and son can't even be rational about shelving, it sounds like they have much deeper issues that likely will never be resolved. At least not until the day comes when the father is too old to take an active part in the business. When that day comes, the son can run it into the ground any way he sees fit.

As for the helper, his best chance to turn things around is to hit rock bottom. Getting fired is probably the best thing that could've happened to him.

Not worried about K-dog. He has proven time and again that he can successfully work for someone else, or on his own.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

May 17, 2014, 10:33:14 am #31 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:49:41 pm by bobbin
Ditto what Sofa. said.  Working in a shop where nothing can ever be done (read:  change) without a 3 day "seminar" with the boss is exhausting.  You're best "gone", Kody.  Talent, creativity, and a desire to crank out nice work is "run into the ground" in that sort of atmosphere.  Their "bad energy" is like a fire... sucks the oxygen right out of the room!

(duh for pre-edit)

kodydog

May 17, 2014, 10:46:34 am #32 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:28:49 pm by kodydog
Quote from: sofadoc on May 17, 2014, 08:38:42 am
At least not until the day comes when the father is too old to take an active part in the business. When that day comes, the son can run it into the ground any way he sees fit.

During that last conversation I had with the boss he kept questioning me why I no longer wanted to work there and he told me how PO'd he is at his son. I suggested now may be a good time to turn the whole thing over to him. I said do it now while your still healthy and can slowly show him how to do things like the checking account, ordering supplies, payroll, and keeping the books balanced. I told him now would be better than if someday you should become sick or god forbid die. Then the whole thing lands in the sons lap during a very stressful time in his life.

He told me this business took a lot of sweat and blood over many year to build and he would rather sell the whole thing than watch his son run it to the ground. This got me thinking, If the old man feels this way then why in the world would I want to spend the rest of my working life dependent on someone who does not know how to run a business.

So I asked him, If you were me, I'm 56 years old, I'll be working another 15-20 years (god willing), if you were me would you want to work for your son? Apparently this stumped him because he was quiet for a long time and when he did speak he changed the subject.

Bobbin, he was asking my opinions so I brought that up too. I told him arguing in front of the employees is a real morale killer and would best be done in private.

He kept asking me, why didn't you tell me what was bothering you? This blows my mind, as you all know I generally don't hold back my opinions. I told him this and pointed out several examples of improvements I've suggested over the last two years. He also told me if you were so unhappy with my son why didn't you tell me? He said he would have straightened him out. Only problem is he's never been able to do that before.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

Congrats!  At least now you're out of all that drama.  I couldn't hack that at all.  Good for you!  Monday morning comes soon enough and it's all up to you now.  Go get 'em!

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Ed:

You and I are the same age. It seemed I hit a certain point in my life that I could no longer tolerate drama. I culled a few friends who seemed to thrive on drama and thankfully my kids matured and do not provide any for me.

I like a sedate life and work place. I turn on my music and work and do not have to deal with BS. Glad things worked out for you. I am sure no matter how high someone throws you in the air you will land on your feet. Best of luck.

Chris

sofadoc

May 18, 2014, 01:41:38 pm #35 Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:48:51 pm by sofadoc
I'm 56 as well. I haven't had any workplace drama in years. My grandparents started the business in 1960. They passed it on down to my parents, and then on down to me.

You BETTER believe.......during the years when all 3 generations worked in the business at the same time, there was more drama than you could shake a stick at.

My grandmother used to throw her head back at laugh uncontrollably at the absurd notion of my mother being able to someday run the business. The ONLY thing they agreed on, was that the notion of ME someday running the business was even more absurd.

All I know is, I turn out more work in a week now than they ever did in their best month. And as I recall, they had a fairly high amount of complaints. After delivering a completed piece, they would cringe every time the phone rang. They just knew that the customer was calling back to complain about something. And quite often, they were right. Today, my % of complaints is so low, I don't even think about it.

I only wish that I had a forum like this one during those years when I was basically learning the trade on my own. My only "GO-TO" guy for advice was a supply salesman. And most of his advice was geared toward whatever it was that he was trying to sell me.

As a family business, we were literally flying by the seat of our pants.

Nowadays, when I've wanted some drama, I've had to come on here and read about you guys. But heck, Ed won't be having drama anymore. Chris doesn't have any, and Bobbin got rid of hers. C'mon guys!! Paul? Gene? June? Mike? I need someone to live vicariously through. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

May 19, 2014, 10:22:38 am #36 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:23:02 am by kodydog
1st day back working for myself full time. Phones been ringing pretty steady and I'm lovin it.

Just wanted to thank every one for all the good advice these last 4 months and for putting up with all my ranting. I feel it really helped me keep my sanity.

Moving forward we're still planing on moving back into town. We need to decide on Gainesville or St Augestine. We have a lot of customers in Gainesville and Lake City and we own a house in High Springs. About half way between the two. But the wife has her heart set on St Augustine. It is a pretty neat place. But first we have to sell our house in the sticks.

I think this thread is about worn out. Thanks again all.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html