Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 06:06:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Time for a raise

Started by kodydog, January 31, 2014, 07:47:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Sofa, that makes perfect sense.

My desire is to continually advance. Even though the boss has lost this desire I still give him 100%. And I will continue to do that until I take advantage of other opportunities.

This quote is from Walter Wattles,

The desire for riches is really the desire for a richer, fuller, and more abundant life; and that desire is praise worthy. The man who does not desire to live more abundantly is abnormal, and so the man who does not desire to have money enough to buy all he wants is abnormal.

Train yourself to think of and to look upon the world as a something which is becoming, which is growing; and to regard seeming evil as being only that which is undeveloped. Always speak in terms of advancement; to do otherwise is to deny your faith, and to deny your faith is to lose it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

Well?

Lots of interesting comments on appreciation in the workplace along with the ability to grow professionally at your job.  The latter was in pretty short supply and that's probably the biggest reason I left.     

I've been very fortunate to have worked for people who paid me well.  I had paid vacations and there was usually a Christmas bonus, I never had to ask for one.  And there was a retirement plan with a small match (which was great!). 

I see that you have to be  prepared and keep the focus on how much and how well you do your job for the company.  Definitely lots of great advice above. 

kodydog

February 08, 2014, 07:37:05 am #17 Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:40:17 am by kodydog
It took all week to find the right time to ask. It was hard to find a time when the boss and son were alone together. There is no traditional office to have a quiet conversation and it is difficult to find them alone together without being interrupted by customers or other employes. Also Wednesday the boss and son had a big argument that ended with the son walking out. Not a good time to ask for a raise. Yesterday I found the time.

I kept it short and simply said, April will be my 2 year anniversary and will expect a raise at that time. Then I went one step further and asked for my old hours back. Working 36 hrs a week and taking Mondays off. This will be the first step toward getting our business cranked up again. They said they would have to talk about it. I told them to take as much time as they need but I'd like to know by next week. They didn't say no and that's a good sign. Another interesting week coming up. I swear I could write a best selling novel about this place.

Friday night the wife and I picked up a room full of furniture. The customer lives in an up-scale neighborhood and has used us before. She has switched designers and would like to introduce us to her. She also asked for several cards to pass around to her neighbors. When we told her we were going full time with our business she got excited.

We're excited too and want to do this right which includes moving our business back to the city. I'll have many questions and will keep you all informed.

The future is brighter than ever.

bobbin

I've been thinking of you all week, Kody.  I've never had to ask for a raise, but I really anguished over giving my notice and heading out on "my own".  It was hard... doing your best day in/day out means that you're emotionally invested in your employer's business (for better or worse).  Juggling the pluses and the minuses is the hard part.  Keep us informed.

(thinking about adopting a young dog... )

Mojo

Bobbin:

I for one am glad you went out on your own. You have made " others " money for far to long. Time to make some for yourself.

Your a very intelligent and hardworking person. I know you can do it.

As to you Ed, I wish you the very best as always. Keep us posted.

Chris

west coast

Just remember keep it small keep it all.

gene

Hey kodyD, I missed your post about asking for a raise. Sounded like they heard you. That's a good start. Wanting to take a week to think about what to do with a great employee is not a sign of competence on their part, in my book.

*** It's fascinating to find that sometimes owners of businesses are actually afraid of too much new business - too much growth. Or growing too fast. Or having employees that are more motivated / smarter than they are. Just a thought that may be totally unrelated to your situation.

And congrats on starting back on your own business. It's a lot of work, but the satisfaction can be awesome sometimes.

On another note:
There was a discussion on our local radio station about many, many people thinking that they could finally leave their place of employment and start their own businesses because now they can afford their own healthcare through Obama care. WRONG! They are finding that Obama care, as it was designed, and as it was always meant to be, is just too expensive.

gene

PS: You're the first person I've ever known to quote Wallace Wattles.

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

Did you get your raise, Kody?

kodydog

April 06, 2014, 03:29:07 pm #23 Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:42:36 pm by kodydog
Yes. I half expected the boss to say, that ain't going to happen but they gave it to me without hesitation. Even gave it to me earlier than my 2 year anniversary. The bosses son did give me grief when I told them I need Mondays off. Lots of grief. I'll be working 9 hrs a day, 4 days a week. This is the schedule I worked when I was first employed. I couldn't get him to give me any good reason why this wouldn't work except to say he needs me in the back room  Monday thru Friday. The only thing I can figure is now he has to come in one day a week at 9:00 instead of his usual 9:30.

He told me he needs me to keep an eye on the other employees and to keep things rolling along. I told him without any kind of authority, ie: supervisory position,  I'm just one of the guy's in the back room. Nobody really HAS to listen to me and often they don't.

We went around and around on this. Three different meetings. Unfortunately he didn't want his father involved in the discussions. The climax came when I asked if this was an ultimatum. Will I be fired if I don't show up on Mondays? I was ready to walk. He quickly backed down and I got what I wanted. I'm sure he thinks I'm a real butt head but I also think they need me way more than I need them.

During our last conversation, this was after he told me the raise was approved, he told me, you know Ed, you or I couldn't make more money doing upholstery working for anyone else anywhere else. I told him I have an offer sitting on the table right now. This is something I didn't want to bring up but after a statement like that I couldn't resist.

BTW, he opted for the smart phone over a desktop computer. The company paid for it even though 90% of its use is personal. He keeps telling me its a good tool and I keep telling him its a toy. Yea he thinks I'm a butt head

Mojo

Congrats Ed. You deserved every bit of that raise.

Chris

bobbin

I'm glad to hear that! you are most deserving.  And I'm glad you stuck to your guns about returning to your original hours and refusing the added "supervisory" responsibility.  It seems to me that the son is one of those "wheedlers"; always looking for a little bit more.  I'm happy for you. 

kodydog

Moving forward. Yesterday I gave my resignation notice. I thought 60 days was more than fair. Their asking for more time to find a replacement. I can't wait to get back on my own.

JuneC

Good for you! 

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" - excerpt from Invictus.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

I gave Boss 2 mos. notice.  I finished my last job, cleaned out my tools, and left my key on the desk.  Haven't been back since and Boss has never made an effort to come see my shop... . 

Still feels weird, but sometimes that's how things shake out.  Things are OK here; repeat business (good sign) and referrals from last year's "first crop".  I'm busy through the end of June and the phone is still ringing.  So, we'll see. 

Happy for you, Kody.!

kodydog

May 17, 2014, 07:03:38 am #29 Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:04:17 am by kodydog
Two weeks ago I gave a 60 day notice of resignation with much harassment from the bosses about how this was totally unfair, saying they could never find a replacement that quick.

Tuesday the son calls me up front and asks if I would leave Friday they found someone else. A 3 day notice. Of course I gave him a hard time about all the BS they gave me and of course I happy agreed.

Later that day the "real" boss and his son got into a heated argument about how the shelves in the storage room should be built. Turned into a shoving match with the son daring the father to hit him.

Thursday I heard shouts and cussing coming from up front. Another argument ending with the son walking out. Only problem was the father needed to be at an appointment so we closed shop 1/2 hour early.

Friday I turned my key over to the "real" boss and thanked him for the opportunity to work for him. This started another long conversation that solved nothing.

Friday afternoon they fired the shop helper. I've talked about him before on here. Been with the company over 2 years, has learned many skills, but drugs are messing up his life. I hope he gets it straightened out.

Today I'm a free man. Feels great.