Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:59:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Tool Troubles

Started by jojo, January 26, 2014, 04:57:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

So there's a screwdriver bit stuck in the collar of my cordless Makita driver/drill. I've tried pulling on it with a pliers (while pulling the collar). I've tried cursing; that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

JuneC

How is the bit held in?  Is there a chuck or is it magnetic? 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

liquid wrench if its rusted in. A small drilled hole and a screw if its broken in there.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jojo

It's the type where you pull the collar forward, place the bit in, and release the collar then it's locked. It's definitely not rusty; it's stored indoors and used often. The last time I replaced the bit was less than a month ago.

MinUph

Then the little bearings are stuck. Liquid wrench and a couple pf taps should free them up. Or maybe the bit got twisted slightly in the chuck and is stuck that way. turning the bit while taping might also help. Lube the bearings up when you get it out.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

Is it stuck in the jaws ?
SA

Darren Henry

I'd guess it's twisted  a bit. My impact is famous for that. Put the bit in the vise and run the drill the opposite direction i.e if you were putting a screw in last try reverse or vise versa.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

brmax

If the collar still moves about the same as when normaly releasing it, I would tap around the side of the collar with a mallet. I have none but I was told patience is good for these times.

sofadoc

Speaking of cordless screwdrivers. I have a couple of Makita 18V drill/drivers, and a circular saw, that use the same battery. I end up buying new batteries about once a year, and 2 of them cost almost as much as a whole new rig.

Does anybody have a brand/model that they get longer life out of?

I hate to buy off-brand, or clearance-priced cordless tools, because I never know how long the replacement batteries will be available.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

January 28, 2014, 01:15:29 pm #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:17:21 pm by byhammerandhand
I've had a couple of Makita 9.6V models and went through the batteries way quicker than I thought.

I've had some Metabo batteries rebuilt at Batteries+Plus or Battery Giant, and they've done OK, but not great.

My current "user" is a Ridgid (captive brand at Home Depot).   While it did not get top reviews, they have an LSA (lifetime service agreement) that covers battery replacements for the life of the tool, as well as other "expendables" such as switches.   I'm on my third set of batteries with them.  I exchange them over the counter at a local independent factory authorized repair shop less than five miles away.   Last time I was there they told me how many batteries they replace for them and I think it was a few hundred a month.  Just be sure to diligently follow the paperwork to file for initial registration and each subsequent battery replacement and keep the paperwork.

When I bought my impact driver, I specifically looked for a corded model.   At that time Makita was the only offering.   Now I think Porter Cable also has one.  If I'm ever building a deck or something, it will run as long as I want it to.

Quote from: sofadoc on January 28, 2014, 12:23:27 pm
Speaking of cordless screwdrivers. I have a couple of Makita 18V drill/drivers, and a circular saw, that use the same battery. I end up buying new batteries about once a year, and 2 of them cost almost as much as a whole new rig.

Does anybody have a brand/model that they get longer life out of?

I hate to buy off-brand, or clearance-priced cordless tools, because I never know how long the replacement batteries will be available.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

JuneC

January 28, 2014, 05:47:17 pm #10 Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:03:31 am by JuneC
I've got 3 18V Craftsman cordless, an 18V Craftsman impact driver and an 18V right-angle drill/driver all using the same battery.  I've had batteries regularly last me 3 or 4 years, depending on how heavily I use them (a LOT!).  I have one I'm about to throw out that has I marked with an 01 date on the bottom - I mark the date put into service in sharpie on the bottom label.  These are all NiCad.  I'm not buying them anymore.  I want to upgrade to Lithium Ion for longer use between charges.  Like razors, the tool is given away and they make money on the battery/blade.

June

Oops, sorry.  that was a typo.  It's a 2010, not 2001 battery. 
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

January 30, 2014, 06:05:39 am #11 Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:07:33 am by DB
Two drills - Porter Cable Lithium - have 4 batteries that are slighly over 4 years old.  One is a bit shorter on the charge but will still out last my cadmium Black and Decker.  All are 18 volt powered.  That is three 18 volt drill/drivers.

I just bought Porter cable Lithium 20 volt.(two batteries)

I also bought one Black and Decker lithium 20 volt with drill kit complete.  Haven't used the 20 volt purchases yet.  The PC batteries while one - possibly two are a little weaker just won't die.  I can saw wood and have a nice light (very handy).

I use the heck out of these cordless, they make you money.  I use one to drill and the other as a driver and never switch bits, that cost you time and energy.  Well, the 18 volt B & D stays ready with a bit also, it is used at the workbench or in car interirors.

Doyle

babock

January 30, 2014, 08:15:34 am #12 Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 08:17:43 am by babock
I go on ebay and buy new NiCd batteries to rebuild my own DeWalt battery packs. I am not convinced yet about the Lithium tools. Too many bad reviews on Amazon.

For example, the batteries to rebuild my 7.2V Dewalt screwdriver cost $12. Probably higher capacity than what it came with too.

forsailbyowner

Back in my former life as a building contractor i found the worst thing you could do to a battery is not use it. My drivers which got daily use and were cycled multiple times every day lasted for years. The sawzall which was was used occasionally would need batteries all the time, it seemed like every time I went to use it. I only used dewalt power tools.

jojo

So nothing worked. Oiled the hell out of it, tapped it from the side in different directions with a hammer to try and loosen...bit never moved. So I took the tool apart and ordered the part that holds the bit from  ereplacmentparts.com. (there was no access hole in the back of this part so I couldn't pound the bit out from the back, which was my original plan.) Cost is $10 total, which is less than 10% of the cost of the drill. Nothing is ever easy.