Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 05:24:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Charts and graphs

Started by sofadoc, January 26, 2014, 12:25:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

January 26, 2014, 12:25:28 pm Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:31:49 pm by sofadoc
Nothing illustrates a point like a good ole' chart or graph.

Here's one I comprised from the stat page of this forum:

As you can see, activity took a nosedive in 2013.

Just wondering. Is it because fewer people are interested in this trade? Or is it because people are turning to other forms of social media?

It does sometimes seem like a handful of us are keeping this discussion board propped up.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I doubt less people are into the trade. That has been equal for years now. Might be the number of people doing the posting runs around the same. I've found through the years here and in other forums. Few people stick around and the group become smaller. Lets face it the information here is not for the general population.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

This was posted, by me, on Dec. 10, 2012, just before the big crash. I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't have done it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZr3_Ac_nB4

Or, maybe the rapture happened and we now know who has been left behind.

I tend to look at this board more as information gathering than a social media outlet. I don't have any other forums that I frequent. I'm grateful for all the stuff I've learned on this board and I keep hanging around to keep on learning and to give back to other folks if I can.

If we keep up the trend, we'll have:
2014: 394
2015: 220
2016: 124
2017:   69
2018:   39
2019:   22
2020:   12

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

I think part of it is many of us, including myself were big posters. I used to check this forum two and three times a day on my breaks. In the last couple months I have not had time to get on here. I have gone several days without getting on here. I think with the uptick in the economy some people are busier then they were before and unable to find time to post.

Every forum has their hit and run members. Ones who come on, post like crazy and then disappear.
I have seen this on several forums I belong to.

Social media I know has taken a toll on a number of forum memberships. One I was involved with tanked when facebook became popular. Mike and I are on facebook and I keep up with the latest in his life through there and he does the same with me. Both of us also have business pages on Facebook and we use our personal pages strictly for personal stuff and the business for business stuff, never mixing the two.

I am not sure all the reasons why so many have left. How are the other upholstery forums doing ? Carrs Corner and the Hog Ring ?

Chris

Mike

January 26, 2014, 07:08:24 pm #4 Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:09:06 pm by Mike
ive noticed fewer questions from newbie's too

maybe its just the cold winter

byhammerandhand

Carr's Corner is down a lot too.   But I think Gene is just making up those numbers.   His series does not seem to fit any of the standard series -- arithmetic, geometric, Fibonacci, half-life decay, etc.   I did a least squares regression and the numbers just don't fit too smooth a curve.

But I know the answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPlsqo2bk2M
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on January 26, 2014, 05:43:06 pm
I am not sure all the reasons why so many have left. How are the other upholstery forums doing ? Carrs Corner and the Hog Ring ?
Carr's Corner has almost no activity at all. But most of the CC members (including me) now belong to a Facebook group, where there is a small amount of postings.

I agree with Paul. I think the number of upholsterers has held steady for several years now. But many people who get into this trade started out as a hobbyist, or DIYer. I think the number of THOSE people has dropped significantly.

I agree that the economy has picked up a little. So stitchers are busier.  But I don't think that is the reason for the drop-off in this forum's activity. People would find the time to post here if they truly wanted to.

Several times lately, I have typed out a reply to a topic, read it back to myself, and then deleted it because I realized that I've already said the same thing before. We seem to be beating a dead horse sometimes.

I think that people are simply turning more to non-upholstery related social media.

JuneC

I post far less than I used to because I have fewer questions.  You guys answered most of them several year ago (Thanks!!).  It seems there are fewer newbies with questions and problems but also we established people post fewer project photos and accomplishments.  I think the green room is a problem.  I never go there - I simply forget.  I'd like to see all posts, including those project photos here.  Galleries of completed projects garner lots of posts, including those "how'd you get THAT done" comments.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

QuoteI realized that I've already said the same thing before. We seem to be beating a dead horse sometimes.

I've been tempted to think that way at times two---but then I remember that, while you "lifers" have heard me say something for years, it is new to some who only read here. I also know my memory could use a refresher quite often as well.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

MinUph

Quote from: Darren Henry on January 27, 2014, 03:21:22 pm
QuoteI realized that I've already said the same thing before. We seem to be beating a dead horse sometimes.

I've been tempted to think that way at times two---but then I remember that, while you "lifers" have heard me say something for years, it is new to some who only read here. I also know my memory could use a refresher quite often as well.

Thzt is very true. People dont like to take the time to searchfor past topics ans some probably wouldn't know what to search for.. so don't be shy about repeating yourself. After all we are mostly older and cant remember anyway.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

January 27, 2014, 04:51:03 pm #10 Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:54:58 pm by gene
QuoteBut I think Gene is just making up those numbers.

Keith, when did I ever give you the impression that I was an accountant???

Sofa Ds 2013 total is 56% of his 2012 total. Take the 2013 total and multiply by 56% for an extrapolated 2014 total. Take that number and multiply it by 56% for an extrapolated 2015 total. etc. etc.

I think that ever since sofad drove off all the spammers...

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Very good, just seeing if anyone is paying attention.   I determined the ratio was about 1/1.77 or .564.    Not all the numbers worked, but it was close.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

brmax

Thanks Everybody, just reading some of the post now and again is a blast. Experience does matter and newbies mmhgulp do listen, just don't pay attention. So please rehash or repeat any and all as the new issue comes around again on projects. Just a tip on pictures  ( more ).
I search and search and search and try not to ask until my tired @#% wants to fall asleep, but hard headed and taught to do some home work do keep at it. Realy some of the post crack me up and are great morale boosters, besides keeping me on path no matter how slow.
Hey have a great day

chrisberry12

I come here for advice to to offer help when I can. I am a professional upholsterer and have been in the trade since 1981. I think the number of people posting goes up and down because there are a lot of people out there that think this is a craft and anyone can learn the trade in a very short time. I don't know about you but I am still learning. So they come here tell us their problems, find out it is no easy task and drop it and move onto some other venture. I consider our trade an Art, and takes years to become a pro, I know their are some where they are just a natural but for most of us it takes a great teacher, I bet most of us have learned working under a very experienced upholsterer in our early years. I learned from a German Master.

sofadoc

Actually, there is one minor mistake in my graph. The ID on the left side of the graph says "New Posts". It should say "New Topics".

There seems to be fewer newbies coming on with the same basic questions like "How do I slow my machine down?".......or "Why did they put so many staples?" And of course, they're always looking for a nice inexpensive little 2 week course that will transform them into a master upholsterer (or even better, a 2 hour video).

People also seem to be taking their "off-topic" posts elsewhere. Just serious upholstery questions and experiences. No Friday Funnies, no political rants, no BS sessions.

Personally, I enjoy the off-topic discussions. By getting into some of your heads, it helps me to better understand what went so horribly wrong in my life that led to me becoming an upholsterer. ;)