Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 08:46:15 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Which last longer?

Started by baileyuph, January 20, 2014, 05:29:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

What is the longevity of a servo motor?  Is there enough experience to have a good statistic?  Of course one would assume used everyday in a business.

Related questions:

1.  Anyone bought one and had it require service or replacement?

If that is a yes, describe usage, initial cost, and replacement cost. 

2.  Can a servo do anything a standard clutch can do?

3.  Any other characteristics (noise levels and operation cost have been covered) of a servo you think would be of interest, please share.

4.  Will clutch motors become history?

Doyle

MinUph

Quote from: DB on January 20, 2014, 05:29:22 pm
What is the longevity of a servo motor?  Is there enough experience to have a good statistic?  Of course one would assume used everyday in a business.

Related questions:

1.  Anyone bought one and had it require service or replacement?
Yes but no service yet

If that is a yes, describe usage, initial cost, and replacement cost. 

2.  Can a servo do anything a standard clutch can do?
If you asking can it not do then nothing. If can do that a clutch cant it would be run at an adjustable speed.

3.  Any other characteristics (noise levels and operation cost have been covered) of a servo you think would be of interest, please share.

4.  Will clutch motors become history?
I would think so from a energy savings alone.

Doyle

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

3 years so far with no problems. To me, a servo can do anything a clutch can do. Plus, a servo is quieter, less energy, and better control.

Servos come in a wide variety of price ranges. Mine are the cheapest ($150 range). It wouldn't surprise me if the cheaper servos don't last as long as clutch motors. I've had machines with clutch motors that were over 20 years old. I don't recall ever having to replace a clutch motor because it failed.

My servos did come with replacement motor brushes. But the original ones are still going strong.

I've heard some auto guys speculate that a servo might not have enough strength to "get over a hump". I've had no experience with lack of power.   
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I have a Juki with a servo motor that is a 2005 model.  Granted, the machine has never seen heavy use in my shop, but it is a high speed, full function machine which would require it be rugged and reliable enough to run for 3 shifts/day.  I believe Gregg (Keystone) said the Juki servos are the expensive ones.  My 1541 also has a factory installed servo and it's performed beautifully for the (almost) 4 yrs. I've owned it, again it doesn't see "heavy use".  It has NO trouble driving up and over multiple thicknesses; Fragged has a heavier duty Juki with a servo and it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on that. 

I recently replaced the clutch motor on my overlock with a lower end servo ($175) and I love it!  Smooth, quiet, and it can be adjusted for a slow "take off", if I want to do that.  As funds become available I will gradually convert other machines, if only for the quiet operation and energy savings. 

I don't know if clutch motors will go the way of vacuum tubes, probably not.  I have never seen a clutch motor fail, but I have seen an old one spaz out and begin operating in reverse! and it's really hard to find someone to service it in my area. 

baileyuph

Servos - are they exclusively used in all sewing manufacturing that includes marine and industrial sewing, and also industrial coverings of more heavy materials.  A report on energy savings and durability would be of significance to gain true understanding.

A general consumer consideration is cost; what is the difference in providing new equipment with servo vs clutch capability, at higher quality level of equipment?

If cost, energy consumption, capability, functionability, durability, and reliability favor - servo, then why clutch?  The natural expectation is clutch will playout as they wear out.

Doyle 

Mike

You all with getting servo must feel much younger then me i thi k my vlutches wil outlast me. My old singer surely outlated it original user when i got it used 21 years ago.
On power my light bill at the shop is around $35   Even running the ac though im sure this summer it will run a bit more

bobbin

I know you can purchase many machines with an option for either a servo or clutch motor.  I'm not certain about clutch availability on full function machines (the computer run functions seem finely linked to the motor).  Back in the early '80s they came with clutch motors, but as technology has advanced... I don't know and cannot answer your question, but I bet Gregg from Keystone or Bob from Toledo could!

baileyuph

I will couple something I read within the last 5 years with what Bobbin brought up and that is - servo motors really bring out the best in full function machines:  My article of reference was a technical review of servo use in building autos.  The article went to great details of the technical advantages of incorporating servo motors controlling spot welds in building new auto mobiles.  The results surpass any other capabilities in history and are essential to getting the most perfect, consistent weld to date.

I really appreciated that article on servo capabilities, but it is worth mentioning that the article did not support an energy savings from servo use. They made their business decisions to go with servo based on quality of welds, in spite of them using more energy was clearly stated.  What the increase in cost amounted to....well, I would have to find the article and reread and hoped I understand it.  It was really a technical compilation of information.

Along with that point, I remember Greg would not voice or ascertain that servo uses less energy, but he did say "they (the entities he gets his from) said they used less energy.  No quantifier from him or anyone else, I know of nothing printed to my question of cost.  So, I would find it very meaningful if someone has an engineering reference that reports on this issue. 

As a side line, in my simple mind, more energy is used when "starting up" anything......apply that to our servo and clutch use; which do we do more "starting up" with .....unless I am missing it all, the servo, it could be almost incessant.

Again, the auto manufacturing report on servo control initiating power welding robots, said there was more energy consumption but quality is worth it, something hip pocket technology would agree, I do.  Once getting past this "more" or "less" issue, the intelligent next question: what is the magnitude of savings or extra cost running a servo?

Another point- postings lately are indirectly bringing to surface is; it could be cheaper to buy a basic  new servo capability than a new clutch setup (when purchasing a new machine), good question to get the answer to.  Why buy clutch on a new machine knowing that conversion to servo will follow soon?

Doyle

Mojo

I am a servo-haulic. I cut my teeth on a servo machine and have never sewed on a clutch. I did have one on my Juki and I converted that to a servo right away ( before I ran my dang hand through it ).

I have bought two machines in the last 3 years, both from Bob Kovar. he gave me the option of a clutch or servo so he shipped them both with servos per my request.

I believe that the new servos are now brushless so changing out brushes is no longer an issue. Both of my machines Bob considers as heavy use machines. In other words they get very heavy use daily. I was surprised that my twin needle machine didn't require a bigger servo but Bob assured me it would sew fine with a standard wattage servo. he was right, it drives two needles straight through 4 layers of acrylic plus one layer of Soluna.

I will try and get Bob on here to answer a couple of these questions.

Chris

Toledo Mach. Sales

I like the servos myself,they are quiet & easier to control than a clutchmotor.We used to sell the brushless servos but have since discovered the one w/brushes to be quieter & more reliable.98% of are sales have servos on them.
Also these motors only use electric while you are sewing so there's less power  used than the clutchmotor that's running all day.
Also have you ever put your hand on the end of a clutchmotor while it's running you feel alot of heat coming out (which is ok this time of year up here) but in the summer just makes your shop warmer.
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397