Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:44:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pontoon cover re-stitch ?

Started by cthomps, January 29, 2014, 10:13:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

Hello everyone.  I have a pontoon cover to be re-stitched.  I have a zig zag machine available.  Is there any benefit or detriment to zig-zaging the seams?  I was worried about extra holes.  Customer requested zig zag. 

Thanks  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Mike

if that what they asked for I don't see why not id up my charge for a special machine most probably don't have

bobbin

If that's what he asked for and you can deliver the result, go for it. 

Personally? my opinion of pontoon boat covers is that they're about as cheaply constructed as a company can make them (I've restitched plenty of them).  NO WAY would I wish to deliver the "swiss cheese" restitch on something I suspect has the longitivity of a paper towel (esp. since it needs restitiching!). 

I don't believe a zig-zag restitch will prove any more secure than a basic straightstitch.  It will just add more holes. 

MinUph

I turned a boat cover away where the guy wanted it "resewn" at the seams. I pulled on it lightly and it tore in my hands. Rotted. I told him not to put any money into it. Careful with this. Check it for rot. You know if it fails you will be at fault.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

cthomps

Thanks for the help.  It is for a paying, friend of mine.  He thought the zig zag would be better.  I really don't see the point except more thread and more holes.   I will check to see that it is not rotten.  I think he just wants to get another year (in Wisconsin this year about 3 months:) )out of it and then go to individual covers.  Thanks for your input.  I always sound smart when I check in with all of you! 

forsailbyowner

Being a sailor I often wonder about the efficacy of the zig zag. Ive often been told its mandatory to use zig zag on sails because the stitch allows some give or is somehow flexible, ive never been convinced. Since the sails are put together with seaming tape which is supposed to cure into a permanent bond, how can there be any movement? I can maybe see how the seam might be stronger as it doesnt run straight with one run of warp or weft maybe tearing is less likely? That being said Ive been repairing my sails with straight stitches for nearly 30 years and havent noticed any issues or failures in the seams ive done in the body of the sail.

cthomps

I do some sail repair as well.  In fact, that is why I have the zig zag machine.  The sailors, all the books and sailrite, always suggest a zig zag for sail repair.  As far as I know, the zig zag stitch was invented as a stretch stitch.  It gives as the fabric stretches so the threads don't break.  It was also used to prevent raveling at the fabric edge.  A precursor to the serger.  With all that being said, I am not sure in this application it would be all that important.  It would probably look better to restitch with a zig zag, between the double rows of straight stitch.  Other than looks, I don't really see any benefit.  Thanks everyone.