Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:12:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Why So Many Curves?? Help!!

Started by jojo, January 17, 2014, 12:26:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Ok, sewed the cover for these (there are two) but am having a devil of a time getting it on. What happens is that no matter which side you start on, when you get to the other side, the boxing gets horribly twisted for like the last 12 inches or so.

Feels like wrestling alligators is easier than this. Any tips?

MinUph

Are you working from center? Or sewing all one direction?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

I leike sewing from the center out wjen it iiiimportant , you must have a alignment issue make lots of reference marks on you pltes and boxing patterns

jojo

I didn't think it was a sewing issue; yes, I did sew from the center. But the bottom of the seat is so full that the vinyl can barely stretch ... I need about two inches of stretch for the boxing to line up at the last few inches. I think if I cut it bigger there would be slack and wrinkles. Oh well, maybe it is wrong; but I compared it to the original cover and it lined up perfectly.

JuneC

Your boxing isn't cut straight, is it?  There's a pretty good curve in it right where your elbow would hit. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

I don't know what I'm missing here. I see an old back partly attached to a frame. No seat in the frame. Where is your cover?
 Anyway if you need 2" of stretch have you tried a heat gun?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

I think she's talking about the seat back boxing.  That type of seat used to give me fits as well. 

As you sit in the seat, the part from fingertips to elbow is pretty much a straight run.  But as you get where the second rise is, the front panel needs to be significantly shorter than the back panel.  In order to make that happen, the boxing needs to curve (a lot!) to the left (as we face the seat as shown).  I've found that in order to avoid vertical wrinkles in the inside back, it's best to exaggerate this curve so the vinyl trampolines a bit off the face of the foam.  It's much easier to stretch this piece when you staple it to the bottom, than it is to get significant stretch from the outside back piece since the outside back wants to pull your seam lines off of the arm in front.

If your new cover has stretch wrinkles in the boxing from upper right to lower left of the boxing with the seat oriented as shown in your photo, you don't have enough curve in the mid-section of the boxing.  The black part looks like it's straight as well so I wouldn't expect any issues there.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

something I noted that piping /welt dividing the pleated vinyl and smooth must be annoying on your back, especially on bare skin.

jojo

June, the boxing is curved. It almost fits...but not quite. I guess I will try some heat, and if that doesn't work, add a couple of inches to the back. The problem is indeed where everything goes around the corner in the back. I don't know how they ever got the original cover on. It was so tight I had to cut it off from underneath.

Mike

January 18, 2014, 03:40:42 pm #9 Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:44:12 pm by Mike
jojo after the parts are patterned alignment marks and cut ill lay each piece on the seat the inside piece anf out side to be sure they are the right length and the boxing to be sure it has the correct shape. sometime ill sew the boxing to one plate say the inside then recheck laying it in place on the seat before sewing the other side just to ease my mined

if your boxing is getting diagonal wrinkles you got to have a alignment issue a small amout heat can get rid of them but if there large I doubt it